SpiceWare's Blog

fire TV

Posted by SpiceWare, in DVR Project 13 October 2016 · 157 views

My fire TV arrived today, it's quite small:

I don't have a new TV yet, and my old TV won't support it, so I have it plugged into one of my 4K monitors.  4K content looks awesome on it, as though I were looking out a window:

I've resubscribed to HBO NOW and had an unexpected surprise - another 30 day free trial :D :

I did ha...

I've thought about it

Posted by SpiceWare, in DVR Project 21 August 2016 · 279 views

In regards to the iTunes Store support failure , I've decided to continue purchasing à la cart TV content via iTunes due to how much better it works with my setup - namely because I can't download episodes from Amazon to my Mac mini and must stream them with occasional picture quality issues.
For HBO and Showtime I'll most likely resubsc...

iTunes Store support failure

Posted by SpiceWare, in DVR Project 05 August 2016 · 243 views

I enjoyed season 1 of Killjoys , so when season 2 showed up for pre-order in iTunes back in June for $19.99 I bought it.
I didn't start watching the series right away, but when I finally got around to watching episode 1 I thought it was rather odd that it ended without any ending credits.  So I dropped iTunes Support a note on July 23rd:...

Stay Frosty, Part 9

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 16 July 2016 · 234 views

The prior update stirred up interest in Stay Frosty in the Holiday Cart Forum. Supercat didn't care for how the melt trail worked, to which I replied it was just a kernel test to make sure it showed up on the correct scanline, while atari2600land and vdub_bobby asked for clarification on the planned game play. I clarified that while the ultimate goal woul...

Stay Frosty, Part 8

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 12 July 2016 · 190 views

Thomas Jentzsch and I had a brief discussion about the snowman's movement: Thomas: I'd like the snowman's movement a bit more "realistic" (e.g. with a bit acceleration and inertia).  Me: Hmm, hadn't thought about that. Any sample source you can suggest for me to take a look at?
Revisions to the movement would start a few days later and would...

Stay Frosty, Part 7

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 11 July 2016 · 162 views

The first "playable" build! Collect all the ice blocks then exit the bottom right to the next level. These two levels are in the final game. The snowman controls are a bit odd at the moment, left/right work as you'd expect while up moves you upward. However, if you're not holding up then the snowman will fall unless he's standing on a platform. The m...

Stay Frosty, Part 6

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 10 July 2016 · 134 views

Albert and I had a discussion about the ice and such:
  Albert: I like your idea of disabling auto-melt for nighttime levels. Is the idea here to collect all the ice to clear the level and progress to the next? Why don't the fireballs melt the ice? :) Are the levels going to be differentiated in any way except different layouts of platforms? Th...

Stay Frosty, Part 5

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 09 July 2016 · 140 views

Nathan and I had a discussion about the fire color, nose and melt trail:

Color cycling for the fireballs did not pan out, we'll see that in the next update, though the idea of changing color above the ice would eventually be used to great effect in Stay Frosty 2 as seen by these early renditions of the ice chest and carrot:

Stay Frosty, Part 4

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 03 July 2016 · 188 views

I decided to change to use a reflected playfield and drop the updating of PF0 for the upper platforms. PF0's still used to draw the horizon as well as the lowest platform.   Doing this means the snowman can always drop down on the left and right sides of the level. It also adds an additional constraint to the kernel in that you must update PF2 a...

Stay Frosty, Part 3

Posted by SpiceWare, in Stay Frosty 02 July 2016 · 198 views

The following weekend I created a test level to check the update timing for the kernel. The time critical section of the kernel is when the ice blocks are being drawn as everything (snowman & color, nose, melt trail, fireball, 6 playfield updates) had the potential for being drawn:   Looked great, but I had to drop both the nose and the melt...

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

2 user(s) viewing

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users