SpiceWare's Blog

Starfield returns, new station cores

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 23 May 2017 · 179 views

Starfield's back.  New station cores are in place, they look awesome!

As a reminder, this is what they looked like in the DPC+ version:

Due to TIA limitations, the station cores may not always be drawn in red when 2+ are shown in the same horizontal zone.  In this screenshot taken with phosphor mode on:

you can see how...

Missile Engine rebooted

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 20 May 2017 · 173 views

While there's still more to do with it, the Missile engine's been rewritten to support line by line HMOVEs. Additionally, it can now use the ball object to draw things.  In all prior builds the ball was limited to drawing the starfield.

Starting from the top:
horizontal player shot
diagonal player shot
diagonal player shot
vertical player shot...

Sprite Engine rebooted

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 18 May 2017 · 148 views

Both players are being used to draw all the sprites, the 3 dotted lines are drawn using the missiles and ball.

You can move the blue sprite around with the joystick, as it crosses paths with the other sprites the players will flicker.  Hold fire to move slower.  The white dot in the radar will show the location of the blue sprite with...

Collect Tutorial Index

Posted by SpiceWare, in Collect 15 May 2017 · 262 views

This tutorial covers the writing of a 2K game for the Atari 2600.  Since it's a tutorial, I put significantly more comments in the source code than I normally would.  So be sure to download the source and read it along with each blog entry.

The tutorial does assume you have some understanding of 6502 assembly language. If you don't then c...

game screen progress

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 14 May 2017 · 165 views

Game screen's been rewritten to update the audio sample on every scanline.  Squeezing it into the score display area was a bit tricky, ended up replacing the original loop logic with the new Fast Jump feature.

The radar's currently showing a test pattern to confirm it's displaying 8x16.

Left Difficulty A to show the text display, thou...

Blast Off!

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 04 May 2017 · 361 views

Per Wiki there's 5 phrases that can be said:
"Blast off!" (start of a round)
"Alert! Alert!" (enemies approaching)
"Battle stations!" (formation attack)
"Spy ship sighted!" (Spy ship advancing)
"Condition red!" (enemy attacks become more aggressive; occurs when the player takes too long to clear a round, or misses the spy ship)
Preliminary samples are i...

reboot redux

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 02 May 2017 · 146 views

We've finalized the CDF spec, which has seen a major overhaul, and I've finished updating Stella to support it. As such I've resumed work on Draconian.

Currently the title screen & menu are back in place.  All the routines have been rewritten due to the spec change.  I also revised them for digital sample support, which requires 5 cyc...

Star Trek TAS on blu-ray

Posted by SpiceWare, in DVR Project 29 April 2017 · 160 views

Like Doctor Who, for which I'd just received DVDs for season 9 (1972) from the UK as PAL DVDs have 20-30% more detail than NTSC DVDS (which is quite noticeable on an HDTV), I decided to go back to the very beginning of Star Trek and rewatch everything in order. 

I recently wrapped up the last season of TOS (The Original Series) and had s...

reboot delayed

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 02 April 2017 · 436 views

Last time around cd-w made a comment that led me to doing a test rewrite of one of the ball reposition kernels:
DS_GRP0 = DS1DATADS_GRP1 = DS2DATADS_HMP0_ENAM0 = DS3DATADS_HMP1_ENAM1 = DS4DATADS_HMMB_ENABL = DS5DATA ; HMxx for missile/ball, ENABLDS_COLOR = DS6DATA ; COLUP0, COLUP1, COLUPF - only used during repositionDS_S...

resizable ball

Posted by SpiceWare, in Draconian 29 March 2017 · 267 views

Kernel revisions panned out - the ball object can now be resized and recolored.

The draw missile routines haven't been updated yet to use the ball as a last resort, so to test the resizing I've temporarily modified the stars to have different widths.  I also added some missiles that fly around in a formation just below the enemy formation...

Search My Blog

Latest Visitors

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users