Pro's & Cons of the Nano-PEB - (Updated 03/25/2018)
An HONEST appraisal of the Nano-PEB
The Nano-PEB is a small device that functionally replaces the larger and much heavier Texas Instruments Peripheral Expansion Box, albeit with some limitations.
All units come with the following features:
1) CF Memory card for data storage. (The device emulates three 'virtual' 400K disk drives).
2) Built-in 32K memory expansion
3) One I/O device (that varies by version)
The device comes in three different 'flavors':
A) Nano-PEB V1 RS-232 with TI-Compatible UART (IMHO the option to choose)
This unit is compatible with most existing software.
B) Nano-PEB V2 RS-232 with 16550 UART (Not compatible with all TI software)
While the new V2 model is faster, how often does one need speed versus the
incompatibility of the V2? Speed is useless if the software will not work with it.
C) CF7+ Basic features, but with a printer port instead of an RS-232
3) Customer support from the creator/seller.
1) Marginal construction on some units.
2) Does not run all software (most notably telecommunications programs).
3) Some units can be flaky or unreliable. * (see update below)
Some of this was due to timing issues with the F18A and was apparently resolved on some later units.
4) Limited future expand-ability, which may not be an issue for some users.
The creators website with more information is located << HERE >>
In closing the Nano-PEB is a little gadget for the casual TI user or gamer to have fun with "Real Iron".
* update on the flakiness issue
A cause of some Nano-PEB's flakiness can be attributed to the cheap sockets for the PLCC chips. If you start having any issues, 'out-of-the blue', try pulling the chips, cleaning the contacts on the chips and socket and then re-seat the chips.
If you already own a Nano-PEB or are planning to get one, check out << THIS AWESOME POST >>
by SparkDrummer. It's a 9 volume pre-configured collection of Nano goodness!
NOTE: You can now obtain nice looking protective cases for the NanoPEB & CF7!
<< CLICK HERE >> for the new blog entry and video about these cases.