All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks! I plan on getting an AtariMax SD multi cart and am starting to build a collection for it
  3. @Goochman you can follow the instructions above or power the FujiNet with a USB cable so that it is ready when the Atari boots. There are changes in the code to make Fujinet bootup faster but they are not available in a firmware update yet
  4. License the scanline tech from RetroTink and it will look good.
  5. I found HMLoader in my TML folder. It's definitely there in the Classic99 contributors folder (which may be out of date, but I expect a similar layout). The console playlist player probably isn't as helpful as I thought. With only 1400 bytes of VRAM free as a baseline, you're going to struggle to fit the music there. At least you have control over the CPU memory.
  6. Flash carts are for playing games you don’t own the cart for on real Atari 2600 hardware. If you don’t care about using the original hardware, then playing the rom in an emulator makes more sense…no need for a flash cart. Since the Atari 2600+ is just an emulator in a case that looks like real hardware it doesn’t seem a high priority to use a flash cart on it, just run the games in a different emulator instead. Atari 2600+ is for playing your real carts that you physically own.
  7. I fixed up the XEX loader to initialise the cart (including BASIC) after jumping through the XEX run address, so AUTORUN.SYS is able to chain 'GO' now: Chain.mp4 I'll incorporate this into the next firmware update. I ran into the OP's apparent issue (Error 170 - file not found after 'The Gates are Locked') while testing this (I forgot to remove the 'BAS' extender I'd appended to the 'GO' file), but it's unclear why such a problem would be encountered when booting the ATR, unless there's an IO issue preventing the 'GO' file from being opened by DOS.
  8. Most probably the FujiNet boots slower than your 800 expects it to. Do the tape-trick: Press Start when the 800 makes its coldstart like booting from a tape. It will then wait for you to start the tape. (Obviously) don't start any tape but wait a moment and press Reset again; this time without pressing Start. It should go through another coldstart but this time the FujiNet will be ready. IIRC there was arecent change to firmware making the FN boot faster. Therefore if the above worked for you, try a firmware update and see if this fixes your porblem.
  9. @scorpio_nyI agree, although @WOPRpwJOSHUA I'd add where you have no sockets present for RAM, (all XEs, and Taiwanese made 800XLs), only attempt to remove these if you have fairly good experience with desoldering and soldering. Sure, you can clip the legs off all old ram, remove them, clean the vias up, etc before adding in sockets. You can also use a solder pump or electric desolder gun to remove solder and pry the chips out, (I do this all the time). However it's done, without experience with a soldering iron you can damage things and given you would likely be replacing all 8 x dram chips, you potentially have some fiddly troubleshooting if there is damage or shorts are present after work. Worth noting some use a heat gun to heat up and remove the chips. You can do this, but be warned, it's a large area of the board to be applying heat to, and you can risk warping the board badly. I always snap a few hi res images of the board vias after ram chips are removed, after all is cleaned up, prior to checking the vias and traces, and then adding sockets. It's painstaking work, but worth the effort. If any issues you can reference the photos, and use a multimeter to check things. Then if jumpers are needed or shorts are present, you can fix it. Also, with ram sockets, use double wipe ones. Avoid the round turned precision sockets. The ram chips can be a pain to get their legs into said sockets, but the main issue is they can work loose once in. Double wipe sockets really hold onto them and are generally my go to for 16pin drams. For others, (20, 24, 28 and 40 pin), I tend to favour precision sockets. For example, whist a 40pin double wipe socket really holds onto the likes of the Sophia2 or other 40pin based boards really well, if you ever want to remove them, they can increase the potential for damaging the upgrade's pcb in attempting too. I've been sweating buckets tentatively prying up a Sophia2 in the past. Really thought I'd damaged it once. Always use the right tools too. Anyway, I digress.
  10. My guess for at least some of the new hardware would be an arcade controller and perhaps some wireless options (and I suppose to extend that, perhaps spinner and trackball options; and maybe to go REALLY far out, a light gun option). Those are among the most requested items. I can't see them doing another handheld iteration or even another VS for this year (definitely next year a strong possibility for both), but I guess you can never truly rule that out.
  11. Which adapter do you use to connect your original controller to usb?
  12. Just wondering if the Fujinet works on an original Atari 800? I hve a v1.6 FN which works great on my 130XE, however I plugged it into my 800 and it went to the Memopad. WHen I turn my 800 on the light on the FN only slightly illuminates before turning off while Memopad comes up. Once the 800 is fully running the FN light is fully lit. Almost seems like my 800 cant boot the FN. Just curious if Im missing something.
  13. Welcome @WOPRpwJOSHUA! MT RAM is notorious for being bad on many platforms. Definitely replace all of them as a starting point. When I get a computer and I see MT RAM on it, Even if it is working, I usually schedule chip replacement as a proactive action
  14. I thought Atari were duck dragons masquerading around as humans in an attempt to overthrow the gaming industry? Who knew they were human. Guess it's time to remove my tinfoil. I kind of agree here. If the game isn't shown, played, etc. It's just a prop like a Coca Cola can with part of the ID removed. The silly old bear doesn't even seem to be in the shot.
  15. This is the first time I've had any Amazon UK weirdness. I pre-ordered my 400 mini when it first appeared on Amazon. I thought I'd paid for it, but obviously had not and the delivery date was set back to Saturday. Then, VERY early this morning I saw the 400 mini was now available - buy now for delivery by 5pm today. WTF? So why was mine gonna take until Saturday? So I cancelled my original order, reordered for today and it's due for delivery any time in the next few hours. Can't wait. 😃
  16. No, no, no, not an alternate code pool. I'm talking about making it available as a drive (volume in p-system vocabulary), just a much faster such drive. What you do need is a place to have a DSR to handle it, because it must take command like a disk drive, where the system assumes a CRU address to enable the DSR and an entry address to access it. Since the system will assume it to be a normal DSR, the BIOS will already have disabled the p-code card and will re-enable it before returning, so you don't need to worry about that. You'll implement the equivalent of sector read/write (subprogram 10H on your "disk controller"). That's all it takes. That's the only thing the p-system uses. What will call you is the equivalent of the unitread/unitwrite procedure in the SBIOS, which will ask for a transfer to or from the drive. In the SAMS, you'll have to map that 4 K window to one page which is available as normal memory and active when no access to the RAMdisk is active. When an access is active, you'll be asked for a particular 256 byte sector to map in. You have to calculate which page that is in and which offset it has, read/write that sector to the buffer address unitwrite/-read will ask for, return the standard page in SAMS and exit. There are some tricks involved in convincing the p-system that there is one more drive controller in the system, but that you'll face already if you want to add an IDE controller in parallel to the standard disk controller. Thinking about the feasibility about this - I'm not sure without checking in the code or other documentation how high a sector number you can send to the 10H subprogram. The p-system can handle 32768 blocks, but that's 65536 sectors, so it maxes out what an unsigned 16-bit value can hold. Splitting it in more than one file doesn't help, since they'll still have different sectors. Splitting the file over two virtual volumes on one SAMS card will help and doesn't make the driver much more complicated.
  17. My How-To Geek review is live: https://www.howtogeek.com/atari-the400-mini-review/ Of course, given the type of site, my editor removed a lot of the historical context I provided, but so be it.
  18. I just picked up my first Mega Drive after years of playing in emulation as well as a HDMI adapter, a flash cart and a wireless controller. The first thing I'm playing through is an FPS game called Zero Tolerance, it's actually great fun even though it's very simple and hasn't aged well
  19. My go-to for systems like this (and Polymega, etc.) is to use the 8Bitdo Adapter 2. I use them with Xbox controllers, but they also work with PS and Switch controllers. You pair your choice of controller with the adapter on your PC and then it stays paired, so I can move it from system to system.
  20. Ah, you learn something everyday! Glad you got the game running.
  21. Today
  22. I've just tested this one (from AtariMania) in Altirra (which doesn't emulate Incognito) with U1MB and SIDE3, and it works if you enable BASIC in the loader settings. XL/XE OS and any BASIC (Altirra 8K BASIC in my case) appears to work fine. The AUTORUN.SYS file runs 'GO' in BASIC, so if BASIC is disabled (as it usually is), it doesn't work. Crypt_of_the_Undead.zip Instead of having to enable BASIC every time you want to run the game, you can add the [BASIC] metatag to the filename as shown here: This will cause BASIC to be enabled when this ATR is booted, on a 'one-shot' basis (so you can leave BASIC disabled in the loader settings). This all should work in the same way in the Incognito loader, IIRC. I also tried simply extracting the contents of the disk image and running AUTORUN.SYS straight from a folder in the card's FAT partition (which should also work with the Incognito loader), but that didn't work presumably since the XEX loader fails to properly initialise BASIC when it's enabled. If I fix that, it might be possible to run the game (and others which chain BASIC code) straight from the FAT partition. I also noticed that 'SYS' isn't a recognised executable type, so I need to fix that as well. Note that you can replace BASIC on the Incognito with any revision you like using UFLASH. EDIT: If you copy all the files off both ATRs into a FAT folder, delete DOS.SYS and AUTORUN.SYS, and rename 'GO' to 'GO.BAS', you can launch the game (by running 'GO.BAS') straight from the loader, bypassing AUTORUN.SYS entirely.
  23. Considering a new FPGA based Atari design. Would appreciate some input to help with the design please. Please post pictures of paper designs of how you want the board to be laid out. e.g. SIO here, video here etc.
  24. no bluetooth, you would have to use the controller wired
  25. Only $50 to $60 for a non working. I was thinking more , and the guy was thinking way more. I offered $25 less to him thing I would pay extra to have in my hand and not have to pay extra for shipping and sales tax, but he was sticking to his price. I don't mind the bigger size. My daughter just bought a Lenovo Legion Go, so I wanted sit with her and play.
  1. Load more activity