All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Not sure what to do here. Grab the new rom or are there going to be changes made to the look of the Beast and then I would grab that rom... If the latest is the final then I will just grab that one.... Thx
  3. Build in the the VBXE? (didn't see that as an option to vote for). Also - if it's in FPGA 4x is nice but how about 65816 ?
  4. It appears from looking at a factory schematic that the oscillator may be a Pierce-gate design optimized to use a series resonant crystal. You would normally *not* use a crystal requiring an 18 or 20pF load capacitor in that design. Load capacitors are commonly used in parallel resonant Colpits oscillator design where a capacitor is placed directly across the crystal to force the crystal to resonate at the proper frequency. I see no such capacitor in the 800XL design. Has anyone tried a series resonant crystal like an ECS 35-S-1X? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ECS/ECS-35-S-1X?qs=CNVyLAqdhH3RajNnZxGUjg%3D%3D
  5. I think I just got lucky with the LGs since they don't display much horizontal border, so effectively they do the same job as the VGate.
  6. First I've heard of that, I'll have to check it out. Based on what I'm hearing I think the Incognito screen dimensions are correct and I need to dial my H and V width back a bit. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't demforming the picture by having a larger border on the top than on the sides. I'm used to adjusting the monitor size for more modern systems using the 240p suite so filling the screen completely is normal on those systems.
  7. My GBUE Digital Package arrived late yesterday and I've had a chance to test it with my two flash carts. A bin2rom conversion of the provided bin and cfg files does not work with the Cuttle Cart 3 (no huge surprise), but a bin2ecs conversion with the J flag activated does work with the BackBit Pro. It showed all the graphics, played all the audio, allowed me to input my name and account code, and allowed me to select my vehicle, add accessories, and capture my first ghost. I do not have an ECS to test its features, but I'm optimistic it should work.
  8. Processing is happening in the order payments were received during the campaign. It will take several days to get through everything, but there is a cadence being maintained.
  9. It wound up being the FG99. I have two: one works with the new firmware, one does not.
  10. We are going to get into an endless cycle of everyone wanting everything, but not the same as others, I tell you... What I would really like to see is that the design is really well tested for compatibility, my recent head hitting against the wall with Joyride being picky about MiSTer puts me off a little bit when it comes to anything that is not original hardware. (I am very interested though! And posted my votes already ;)).
  11. Flash carts seem to be the only feasible way of playing homebrew currently. The turnaround time on physical homebrew carts from AtariAge is abysmal. I think homebrew will be key in keeping 2600+ interest alive into the future. Better flashcart compatibility (more than one ROM at a time) with ability to purchase ROMs and/or more help in the AtariAge store would be ideal. Without new homebrew games I believe interest will fade.
  12. That's what Mytek's 'VGate' was designed to overcome, but I have yet to see any junk in the borders of the LG in the photos when the picture is set to 4:3 (and A8 displays stretched sideways to 16:9 AR are an eyesore and an abomination).
  13. I think you're right on the proportions. Looking at some screenshots on AM I'm seeing large borders on the top and bottom and very small ones on the sides. Although I'm not sure if I want any border on the sides because you get those weird artifacts in some Atari games (Moon Patrol and Track & Field come to mind).
  14. You ideally want to a bit of a border all the way around the basic "blue screen" display, as the A8 is capable of changing the colour of (and, with some clever programming, displaying stuff in) the overscan border. I don't know the exact proportions/pixel values offhand, but on most TVs it was a fairly large margin at the top and bottom and pretty thin ones either side.
  15. The loader is certainly still a few scan lines taller than the setup menu and the standard graphics 0 display, but not by much. I would expect most NTSC users to have a small amount of black border top and bottom of the standard display anyway. The redesign was done expressly to address the NTSC overscan issue, and I haven't heard of any other problems since that was done. Here's the firmware (the Incognito loader now has exactly the same geometry as that of SIDE3) in NTSC aspect ratio, shown alongside the standard display: Here's the same firmware running on a real NTSC 800XL: The monitor is using stock picture geometry (RGB signal from VBXE), and nothing is cut off.
  16. Yesterday's (3/27) totals: Android 1) Retro Bowl - 25 minutes PC 1) Atari 50 - 25 minutes 2) Balatro - 85 minutes 3) Castle Crashers - 10 minutes 4) What the Golf? - 5 minutes
  17. Yeah, mine was showing as Saturday until about 2 in the morning, at which point it said it's actually coming between 2.30 and 4.30 today. A pleasant surprise!
  18. While it is true that nintendo did signed an agreement (aside from coleco) also with atari about nintendo ip’s to be brought on computer systems and game consoles (depending per game), all before nintendo did had their own famicom/nes system, but still, even after the release of the nes, atari was still able to bring both mariobros,donkeykong and donkeykong jr on both the atari 7800 and atari xe systems (eventrough both donkeykong and donkeykong jr were atari 400 versions being reshelled with atari xe cartride xases),there was also a nintendo popeye game on both systems by parker brothers, (eventrough atari was not directly allowed to bring donkeykong and donkeykong jr on the atari 7800 but they were able to do so aftter the demise of cpleco in 1988) and despite most people probably did had enough from those arcade games at that point, because platform games and rpg games did become of huge rage, BUT still i found it non the less sooo cool that atari still did tried hard to beat on nintendo by feeding nintendo with their own shit with their atari 2600 jr,atari 7800 and atari xe campaign advertisements such as in their posters and brochures etc,,, and while it is true that nes did sold over a whopping 61 millions units in wich even all 8bit systems combined didn’t sold that much (atari 2600 30 million, atari 7800 3 million and atari xe 100.000-300.000) but still i found it very cool that atari did atleast tried it, i also like to point out that before the famicom age, nintendo games came out on both the atari 5200 and atari 400 (aside from the atari 2600) but at that time it was a good thing because also nintendo could make money from it, (eventrough the 5200 only sold 1000.000 units and the atari 400 along with it’s upgraded models combined sold around 5000.000 units !!??) and while it is true that nintendo also could make money from those atari 7800 and atari xe versions of their games, but they should,ve still realized that it also could,ve worked against them like digging your own hole, but nintendo was lucky enough that their nes did sold amezingly well also because of their strict policies, but still i think that if supermariobros,zelda and metroid,stack up & gyromite along with rob the robot etc,, did NOT came out on the nes,then i think the nes wouldn’t have became that successful. does it mean that i am not a nintendo fan at all? No because i like nintendo and i was always a big nintendo fan, but i am also a huge atari fan because of this, if nintendo games never appeared on atari systems and/or whether systems, then i never would,ve decided to get those systems and collect for it, but since i discovered this since the late 2010’s, i like to collect those systems and collect nintendo games for it, including the colecovision,intelevision,commodore 64,apple ||e etc,, note: that in the 2000’s i always trought that there were no nintendo games on other systems, i always trought that there were only nintendo clone rip offs on other systems wether they are and being called crazy gorilla,,baby gorilla hero,duo hero bros and spinasy hero to referencing nintendo games but being clones of it,but nope, these were nintendo games were officially put on other systems, but systems wich did got no nintendo games on it, did recieved clones or rip offs of it, bu that’s it😁 what i wanna say with this that i don’t think such thing will ever happen again, yes it’s true that sega did allowed sonic to be on the neogeo pocket color or the tiger game.com or the nintendo gamecube or sony playstation 2 etc,, but by that time the sega game gear and sega dreamcast were already sadly dead.
  19. This was the non-destructive solution we needed!!!! @Tenorman give it a try! THANK YOU ALL!
  20. Great episode. I had Defender and Donkey Kong BITD. I don't have any today, but I do have Asteroids and Missile Command (my two favorite coin-ops) from New Wave Toys. I turn them on keep the lights off in my Atari room, while I test/play games. Hearing them running in the background, helps create that game-room vibe.
  21. Amazon are weird indeed. I ordered as soon as I could, took payment a few days ago. Delivery was set to Saturday, then Friday, now between 2:30 and 4:30 today!
  22. The most current one from about a year or so ago (the redesigned one). Like I said, if I expand the image so the blue BASIC screen fills the screen completely the top and bottom of the Incognitom SIDE loader screen are cut off a bit (not a ton, but several lines). The sides seem to be ok. I can take a picture tonight.
  23. I think the last small version that was produced ticked off a lot of boxes as for options. Maybe some slight changes on the I/O options. A couple of other ideas: 1. Support for USB ethernet/WIFI dongles so the Fujinet could emulated. 2. Menu option for toggling emulation of artifacting for games that needed it. 3. Built in emulation for XEP80 4. Support for wireless USB keyboard dongle
  24. I think you're right about the BASIC revision. I just tried Rev. C here and the game no longer runs. Odd that it works with Altirra 8K BASIC, though (kudos for Avery's compatibility work there). The installation instructions are in the manual provided with the Incognito firmware, and those instructions pretty much apply to flashing any slot (instead of navigating to the 'Firmware' or subordinate slots, go to the 'BASIC' slot and locate your desired 8K BASIC ROM using the file selector; you can do this straight off the CF Card's FAT partition).
  25. @Tenorman Yeah, covering up the DSP connector pins rendered the rest of the board powerless. I've not found Retro-Kids selling these but someone else who won't answer. Plus they're now selling a much different looking variant. I suppose you're either not using the Jaguar GD nor this multi-out any more? I'm find performing the work but since the Jaguar GD isn't compatible with JagLink, I figured that I'd leave this alone as a standalone JagLink. I've got a dedicated AV connector side for RGB SCART coming in a few days so anything I do on this Retro-kidz board should be non-destructive since one day I would actually like to experience Jaguar network play.
  1. Load more activity