All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Yes, that is a good point. Wow! That is amazing. I would be very interested in playing around with GoatTracker and your tool whenever we get all this sorted out. Hmm ... That is strange. Would you mind sharing your song file with me? You can send it in a PM if you'd like and I can troubleshoot it. The integration with IntyBASIC should be fairly straightforward, as described in the User's Guide (Appendix B): Include "bas-interface.bas" at the top of your program. Include your song file at the end of your program, with a handy IntyBASIC label preceding the song data so that you can reference it later from IntyBASIC. Call TRKINIT() during your program's initialization phase. Call TRKLOADSONG() with a pointer to your song data, to start song playback. Call TRKPLAY() on every tick to update the playback state of the tracker. The "bas-interface.bas" library should take care of everything, including RAM allocation and appropriate library module inclusions. A few things to check, just in case: Make sure you call TRKINIT() only once per program. Calling it again will stop playback and reset the tracker. Make sure you only call TRKLOADSONG() only once -- this loads the song and initializes the tracker for playback, so calling it again would just restart playback. Make sure you are not writing to any of the variables used internally by the tracker. These would be allocated as two arrays: TRK_BYTEVAR and #TRK_WORDVAR. Check that your song data has the correct number of pattern tracks that match the number of tracks configured (3 or 6). Check that all sub-pattern definitions used in a particular pattern match the length defined for that pattern. Make sure the data format generated matches the IMT format, as described in the documentation. (It may be easier to troubleshoot if your program generates IMT NOTES() macros rather than the raw data itself). I hope the above helps. If not, let me know. IMT has been used successfully in IntyBASIC programs in the past (and integration was as simple as described above), so it should certainly work. -dZ.
  3. I never thought of this. I might own them. lol, That’s great! I understand what you are saying here. Absolutely right. I always liked this one. There is something about it, even to this day I still play it!
  4. Yep, he's a great guy, very approachable and he has made some very great Speccy games.
  5. Thanks for your feedback and I am happy that the carts are arriving that quickly... Attention: There's an easter egg hidden track hidden inside! Did you already manage to activate it? Hint: use the second controller and press.... some button... in order to unlock a further banging acid techno tune.
  6. I remember when i bought donkeykong junior for the atari xegs system but once i was shaking the cartride , i all the sudden did hear rattling inside that cartride, i was like ‘huh what the heck is that’ i was worrying that that was a broken screw inside it to potentially ruin the pcb board inside, but as it turns out after doing some research, atari used hot glue in favor over screws just to save some pennies, but still it does makes me wonder didn’t atari just used zip toies instead to make sure it will never wear out and make thing going lose inside just by designing the cartride and it’s pcb’s with zip ties in mind, also i always trought that the handle on those later ribbed xegs cartrides were intended to make them next to impossible to fit them inside an atari 400 or 800, take mariobros for xegs mariobros for example, not only is that game incompatible with with the atari 400 but it also fits much harder inside it because of that handle, is that a coincidence?? I don’t think so, but take for example donkeykong jr for example, that game is not only just compatible with the atari 400 but it also does not have that handle on it’s back, some do say that jack tramiel just removed that handle on several xegs cartrides just to produce them cheaper but i think theres more behind it. but about that hot glue in later atari xegs cartrides is something interesting, heres some interesting link about it, https://forums.atari.io/blogs/entry/520-why-do-atari-xegs-cartridges-rattle/#:~:text=If you want to know,is the rattle you hear.
  7. Oh that's great! He does some fantastic games on the Speccy and was gracious enough to let me port one of them to the 5200/A8.
  8. Today is a 50th day of the "100 commits" competition, so here is another update. Update 2024-04-19: v0.51 - "International" title screen - Indication of the difficulty level. When the cloud is over "A" letter on the title screen it means "Advanced", while "B" means "Beginner". In the "beginner" mode the net is yellow and in the "advanced" mode it is red I don't plan to make any significant changes and the game is close to be finished. When comes to the competition, now I'll focus on different elements/subprojects - labels for physical cartridges, manual, special SNES controller adapter and so on. When I started this project I didn't know that "batari Basic" exists. It turned out it is a perfect tool for creating my first game. I know it's simple, but it looks exactly like I imagined it before I started coding. So, big big thank you for all the batari Basic creators! If any moderator reads it: could you move this topic to the "batari Basic" subforum?
  9. I posted an updated load-scs or load-ide about a month ago after I discovered boot tracking was off.it was one of the two, not both. You should use cya and remap Scs1 and set AUTOEXEC to boot from scs1 as another option
  10. Haha, I got one of those old-school Dymo label makers for Christmas as a kid and got a little carried away. I think my parents quickly regretted that purchase! I get what you mean re: history...it is kind of a cool feeling. Quite a few of my 2600 carts were "personalized" by their previous owners.
  11. Odd. I'm certain I had it working. I also had another Logitech keyboard that worked fine, but I replaced it with a new mechanical keyboard that is also wireless and that works fine too.
  12. Whoa whoa, low blow, low blow! At least the Simpsons game was playable and there was actual hit detection. It just mainly suffered from the incomprehensible, no-good, awfully horrible first level.
  13. Is that Dave Hughes of ZX Spectrum fame or one of the other (lesser) Dave Hughes?
  14. Thanks for the suggestion, I have a couple of ideas to try out.
  15. And finally the port is complete and it runs really fine. Current version is V1 Beta, I will not add anything more for the moment but fixing bugs if I found any. The game misses the possibility to add new hiscores, this could be an easy addon taking the code from other games of mine but I don't want to see a full working digital rom shared on warez sites 😉. I'm not going to release the game now, I will only share it with some friends of mine that will help me to test it and with James of @ZeroPage Homebrew, just in case he wants to play the game again on his twitch channel. I kindly ask who will receive this game to not share with anyone else the rom.the game. As a precaution I added a disclaimer in the title screen, it should be enough While waiting for the possibility to acquire a license from Epyx I'll work on an alternate layout of the game that could allow me to release or sell the game without copyright problems. If I will get an official license the new graphic could be added as an alternate version of the game. This is a quick mockup of how the new gfx could look:
  16. No. So that it's accessible to as many people as possible, I'm sticking to a regular cart format. In this case a 128K supercart with 16K RAM as used by Epyx in their Summer Games and Winter Games. Not that I've extensively tested it, but it seems to run OK under ProSystem. It also seems to run well on Concerto, just some minor glitching on the title screen.
  17. @DZ-Jay I think I will post my upcoming questions about IMT in this thread, since the other thread was mainly about an "editor" for the IMT format. I am now able to convert Goat Tracker files to IMT file description. It works quite well in my test program, where I just load and play a song. However, when putting the routines into my game (I use IntyBASIC), only the very first note is triggered and the tracker does not continue, even though I CALL TRKPLAY in every frame. Does the tracker require the music to be in a specific region in memory? At the moment, all my data (cards, sprites, level, IMT music) starts at $E000 since otherwise I dont have enough memory for my code.
  18. Today
  19. Probably my favourite genre of game. Definitely my favourite NES game. I no longer have the NES so these days I get to play it on the Rare Replay collection.
  20. Yes, but while it is fun in Space Invaders (game becoming frantic after some time), it is not appropriate in a game like ABL. And speed coding is always cheating If you want to make clean stuff, you end up with the skeleton of your project, and nothing more after 24 hours.
  21. As some of you are aware, each year the french RGC association organise a few conventions. Las WE, it was the AC (formerly known as Jaguar Connexion and for a very brief moment Atari Connexion, now it is just AC where the A means what you want to read : Atari, Amstrad, Amiga, Alternative, Avocado, ...) And each year since 2009, during the AC, there is a speed coding contest, open for every retro coder. The goal is to make a game in 24 hours, on an old console, with a given theme, and a given constraint. This year the theme was in relation with the 20th birthday of the RGC association, and we had to make a Party Game, the constraint was quite obvious : including at least one member of the RGC team inside the game. The speed coding last a bit more that 24 hours (minus the time for eating, sleeping, discussing with nice people and other useless activities). I chosed to code for the Jaguar, with the awesome JagStudio. To be compliant with the theme, it is a 8 players game (after all, the more we are at a party game, the best it could be), with some mini games inspired by board and card party games. So it requires 2 Team Tap (fortunately I have them) and 8 jagpads (fortunately, @Zerosquare and @RadiATIon lent me 4 of them for the public demo). The theme is to collect the biggest amount of video game cartridges (= points), and all games are retrogaming related. Sorry for the bad picture quality, they are taken from my old CRT TV. To be compliant with the constraint, I chosed to make a tricky selection menu (which was probably a good idea only on paper, as it took me lots of time to implement). There are 20 physical cards, where each one represent a RGC staff member, of a usual speed coder. Each card has the pseudo, a number to enter with the num pad, and should have a special power to activate in the game. But I did not have time to implement the special power part (hence the bad idea), so it is just drawinf a physical card, and entering the code to associate Jagpad with the avatar. I will give during the post the kind of super power that were expected. Of course, there is a leaderboard screen. I expected to code 2 or 3 mini games, I finally have 3.9 of them (the 4th one is just missing the end condition and points display), which is not too bad in 24 hours. So, here are the games, with a 2 players game (which is not a good idea, being 3 is probably the minimum as with 2 players, games 1, 3 a 4 will give same amount of points to each player): 1/ The compatibility test The games displays 9 randomly selected retro consoles, and a theme. Each player must chose the 3 consoles that in his opinion fits the theme the better. Right now, themes are in french, the one is the exemple is "Forgotten ?" Each time 2 players at least have chosen the same console, they get points. Of course, the more players chose 1 console, the more they will get points. In the exemple, Odie and Icemen both think the PCFX is a forgotten console, so they get 20 points. (note the nice 70's tablecloth ) 2/ The Congis sur Thérouane Flea Market The whole team is going to a flea market, and they visits stands one after the other. There are 2 types of stands: ones that have cartridges, and threats. The threats represnet events that occured to the RGC during during these 20 years : Atari Advocate (they got a kind of C&D letter to not use the word Atari inside the name Atari Connexion), the diseases (SARS, Covid) that led to cancel some conventions, and the city hall letters, because from time to time, relations with city can be hard (the date of a convention had to be postponed, ...). After each stand, the players chose to leave (they secure their loot but will get nothing more) or continue. Players who chose to lease also share the leftovers cartridges. So, if the stand is full of cartridges, they are shared between remaing players, and the rest is put aside-in this exemple, there were 5 cartridges, so 2 for each player and 1 put aside): The game continue until all players have left, of 3 threats of the same kind are encountered. Players that are still active lose their loot... In this example, Odie is leaving (and will get his 10 cartridges + 2 leftovers) whil Icemen is brave and decide to continue, even if 2 letters from the City have been encountered. If a third one occur, he will lose everything. (special power power could be to be immunised to the 3rd threat of a kind, but still vulnerable to the 4th one) 3/ We are all friends, let's make gift distribution One again, 9 random consoles are displayed, and each player must chose the one he would like to receive as a gift, and the one he really don't want to receive. Then every player will secretly offer 1 console (and can offer a given console only once) to every other player. And gifts are revealed, if someone has offer to another player his preferred console, both will get 10 points, if he offered the unwanted one, they get -10 points (one speaical power would be for a compulsive collector that get 5 points even if people offer hime the unwanted one). Here, Odie has offered Iceman a Jaguar which is obviously the gift of choice for every tasteful collector, they both get 10 points. As the 4th game is not completed, here is the "final" leaderboard. AS Iceman lost everything in the flea market game, Odie won(as said before, they can only get same amount of points in games 1 & 3) 4/ The pixel drawing game One player is randomly selected as the designer, he chose a keyword between 9 displayed on screen and must represent it on a 8x8 pixels grid, and 4 colors (white, default background, Red for C button, Blue for B button and Black for A button) Other player have only 1 try to find good answer. What do you think Icemen tried to draw in these examples ? So, what's the status of the game, it is barely playable as we manage to make a 8 players games during the convention. There are some flaws and enhancement to do before an eventual release (from the most important to the less urgent): - 4th game needs to be completed, - timer pause between actions are probably too long, especially in the gift reveal phase, - the character selection screen is not appropriate and need to be reworked, - rework assets definition (to save time, everything is in 16 bits which is a pity for memory but a big time save) - interface in mini games can be greatly enhanced, - adding sort in the Leaderboard, - adding option to freely play only 1 mini game, - adding kind of hub (think of the boardgame part in Mario Party) - probably change all assets as right now, if features Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, Atari, ... consoles, games & characters. Not sure this is a good thing. Also, it is very RGC team related so not everyone could understand relation between name and avatar. This is far more job than the initial 24h run.
  22. Always loved this early Garfield strip. :D

Garfield comics

23. I’ll answer this one in the coming days, looks you are almost there and I just didn’t automatically build some tools etc. @Mathy I see I just confused you with my reply, happy to explain more but perhaps you could ask again what isn’t clear?
  24. This has to be a red flag warning one for an 800, load of photo's of screen shots, could be from any 800. some photo's of an Incognito board, but not a single picture of the 800 itself. In the description he says:- **Some cracks in the casing have been fixed and it's structurally sound. These are around the back so not really noticeable at all. Usual light blemishes and scratches marks consistent with a 40 year old vintage computer. Price has been reduced from my usual asking price to reflect this** I suspect the "some cracks" are more serious than he's saying, not worth the risk for £399.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176340555289?
  25. This is BTW the reason, Space Invaders speeds up (the arcade version). The less monsters, the quicker.
  1. Load more activity