All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Considering I play Indy(homebrew) games about 80-90% of the time, this would be cool to read about.
  3. Maybe uses something like the 'move' command given in this example: #NotAFanOfPeekPokeOutsideOfBasic (but I get it)
  4. Well, he paid money for the game and the system, he probably has the right to say his opinion then?
  5. Define 'dead', won't spinup or just Atari can't see it? I had 2 'dead' megafiles, one was saved by low-level formatting, the other was left on for an hour then it came to life (both obviously could spin). Adrians digital basement (he has two channels) on youtube has loads of videos of bring back MFM drives from the dead well worth a look before you chuck them away.
  6. (Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.) Because they weren't thinking about collectors 40 years in the future? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ The thought must have been that the box/packaging would suffice in telling consumers which version to buy for their system. I guess I don't know what else to suggest, other than to educate yourself. The differences are on the subtle side, but easily recognizable when you're familiar: Atari 2600 - Silver-ish label Atari 5200 - Blue-ish label; cart is more square-shaped than rectangular Intellivision - Narrow/elongated dimensions; squared/rectangular gold label (vs. usual trapezoid cut); end of cart is angled sharply Coleco - Gold-ish label; cart sides are angled along entire edge (vs. only halfway); trapezoidal profile; back of cart has a bracketed relief for storing controller overlays Atari 400/800 - End of cart is flat (vs. angled); cutaway on front bottom edge of cart shell; gold-ish label Commodore 64 - End of cart is angled; no cutaway; label only extends about halfway down the face of the cart; Silver-gray label Commodore VIC-20 - Very wide dimensions; gold label; title on end label is left-justified (vs. centered) TI-99/4a - Wide dimension; shallow teal label with title only; blocky protrusion around sides and face of cartridge; no title on end label; easily distinct from every other Parker Bros. cart Odyssey 2 (Brazil, Europe) - If you can't tell it's an Odyssey/Videopac game, that's on you 😜 Full disclosure: early in my collecting days, I made the rookie mistake of buying a Parker Bros. cartridge (Star Wars: The Arcade Game) for my Atari 2600, becoming very confused about why it wouldn't fit in my system, and later figuring out that it was the Coleco version. πŸ™ƒ
  7. It looks like you have 2 mods, one to patch the blitter plus one controlled by a switch it appears. The switch based one seems to deal with a 16mhz clock from/to shifter (pink wire). Grey wire looks like ground, not sure if red is VCC, and unclear where should yellow go (not obvious to me that yellow and pink should connect, the led+resistor connection should turn on/off with the switch likely to indicate the mod is on/off).
  8. Something new on the Saturn Homebrew front: Granted, these are all experiments, but they do show some potential.
  9. PS As Oscar says in the post at his link, if you stay with only two offsets (steps of 4 pixels), you can keep the two tilesets in place, (one in 0-127, the other in 128-255), and just update the PNT. With two tilesets you need only two maps from where to copy the PNT using the SCREEN command during VBLANK.
  10. Could be their cartridges were designed to share common labels and lower printing costs? BITD it may have seemed that putting the system on the box was enough and they didn't have the foresight to know that an online, secondary market selling loose carts will spring up some day.
  11. He was just waiting for Atari. πŸ’πŸ» Where we all should start. 🀟🏻
  12. Electric Night by Dune:

Power of Vintage on the Atari Falcon 030:

_ demo by Escape:

Enjoy!

13. Idunno. I feel that way about some consoles (although RF has been making a comeback lately in the retro circles), but I always liked Atari better with RF. A lot of the graphics are just wide, flat, one-colored pixels, and I like how the RF noise adds texture to it. Like, the Atari Flashback 2.0 is great, but it just looks so flat. I'm talking CRTs, though. I'm sure RF looks a lot worse if you're plugging it into things it should not be plugged into.
  14. Are you talking about Joueur Du Grenier - YouTube? Maybe there is another French guy making "remember these games" videos? I love that channel, and I've been following for years. He talks about all sorts of games on there. IMO, he's a bit funnier than AVGN.
  15. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I bought it for the VCS 800 of course. I have to say, it is still early, but I like it so far. I try not to use the Stabilizer, but it makes it so much easier.
  16. Smooth horizontal scrolling needs a little bit of work offline, using your own tools, to precompute tiles and maps. There is no HW support, so all the magic comes from your software and data. CV starts in "bitmap" mode (graphic 2 mode). Here the "general" solution is to precompute the tiles in all the in the intermediate positions and store them in ROM (say 4 positions if you move 2 pixels at time). At each step, you need to load the shifted definitions in VRAM on a set of hidden tiles (say e.g. 0-127), while showing on the screen tiles 128-255. When done, during VBLANK, you have to update the PNT by showing the tiles you have updated (0-127). Then you start loading the new tile definitions on the other tiles you do not display (128-255). Note that you need 4 set of tiles (up to 128), one for each "step", and 4 maps from where you need to copy the PNT on the screen, one for each step, corresponding to a given set of tiles. If your level is, say 128x24, you should store in rom 4 times, one for each phase of the scrolling. Naturally there are strategies to compact these data in one single map of "metatiles", but with CV basic the easiest thing is to deal with 4 level maps. If you try Magellan (available on this site, currently maintained by Rasmus Moustgaard) it should able to produce the data needed for smooth scrolling, but IIRC only in ASM and for TI99/A Actually, if you use screen 1 (graphic1 mode) instead of the "bitmap" mode (graphic2 mode), you have room in VRAM to store 4 (or more) complete tilesets that can be commuted by accessing to VDP(4). In this way your "only" task is to update the PNT during VBLANK. The side effect is that you can choose only two colors (foreground and background) each 8 tiles. So you can have a very light code but low color details.
  17. and not all AGSP have the Windbound IC Nor flash on them some have a different IC, properly is a Nor flash 256mb but different make, first nor flash I saw was in 2004 on the Amstrad Emailer E3 Video Phone, it used Linux in the backgrounds and a custom menu made by Amstrad(Amserve).
  18. Yes - I got them oriented correctly so it was easy to drop in the 1N34A to match it up with the others in there. Hope to revisit why this board is behaving so odd today by reexamining all my steps in the construction of the board.
  19. It's true. Arcade mode is the correct way to play WTR.
  20. 100 pages! 25 entries per page! πŸ€ŸπŸ»πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ˜
  21. We've had similar discussions in other threads. The main problem I see is Adventure hasn't had any evolution over the years, so to drop a modern version it risks feeling too different or be packed too full of cringy fan-service. You don't get from Legend of Zelda to Tears of the Kingdom without a lot of steps in between. I'd personally like to see a new Adventure that uses an 8 or 16-bit pixel art style, keeps the familiar gameplay elements while expanding them. That seems like the next logical step and pixel art games are fairly popular these days.
  22. Sure..I thought it was just an early model...maybe they just used available components. I had been kind of wondering about the stickers and serial numbers though. No other systems were mentioned.
  23. Today
  24. I think Atari got everything that wasn't licensed from a 3rd party? (no Burgertime, Kool-aid man etc)
  25. I tried contacting them via their website. Haven’t heard back yet.
  26. Looking forward to this one. I really enjoy reading the GG for the Lynx. Great production quality!
  1. Load more activity
Γ—
Γ—