All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. This is pointless without HDMI output option. Not all of us have a CRT handy.
  3. So it turns out the power supply was just too weak. I had a 9V 1.1a power supply for my Atari SD and I tried that, the system works really well it just has a little hum so I'm going to recap it. Even the voice module works.
  4. 55. 20 would be less than two more years at the current rate. So it sounds like we're getting more of an existing publisher: "we continue to bring great new names to Evercade, alongside some returning friends and even more ways to play." (From the blog: https://evercade.co.uk/the-2024-evercade-roadmap/) Hoping for more Toaplan, Irem, Jaleco, or Data East.
  5. And then flood the market after all warranty periods had expired? Do we know how many were manufactured after that, and how many missed the skip?
  6. I have something working that has me quite excited. I knew it was possible but I couldn't quite get my brain around it for all this time. The idea is to leverage the ANS Forth "wordlist" system, used to implement vocabularies, to make "overlays" ( and in future SAMS modules) Overlays will let you have pre-compiled blocks for code for a specific purpose on disk, that you can bring into the system quickly. This is similar to the BSAVE/BLOAD function in FbForth. In ANS/ISO Forth each vocabulary is a "stand-alone" dictionary that ends with a null string. ( a zero) The way you add them to the search is by putting them in short list of other vocabularies. Forth then searches those lists one at a time, in the order you placed them. The commands to control the search order are: ONLY which clears the search order to a short list of words and FORTH ALSO which ads vocabularies to the search-order list. For example, the following commands put the vocabularies called FORTH, EDITOR, ASSEMBLER and MYSTUFF into the search list, in the reverse order that you read them. (of course. It's Forth. It's kind of like a stack of wordlists, last one is on top) ONLY FORTH ALSO EDITOR ALSO ASSEMBLER ALSO MYSTUFF If we added the word DEFINITIONS then all new definitions that we make would compile into MYSTUFF. What I wanted was a way to make a vocabulary that worked just like the normal ANS version but the wordlist and Forth code lived in Low RAM. When invoked this overlay vocabulary has to put itself in the search order but then also save the Forth dictionary pointer and switch it to the dictionary in LOW RAM. Doing that meant I had to revisit wordlists and really understand how all this stuff works and I finally got it. The overlay "vocabulary" is called OVERLAY. Here is the very "green" code The video shows it in action.
  7. The "touch every section of the level" and "power ups that let you destroy enemies" are basically Pac-Man mechanics, combined with the platforming of Donkey Kong. The gameplay of the two most popular games of the era combined into one. Now you know the secrets to the game's success!
  8. I doubt it. The GK was not popular product and came late in the ti99 history of console production. QI focus was all about reducing costs and improving quality and reducing the number of warranty returns. TI already went through two customer lawsuits over the external power supply brick forcing them to replace all the wall hung ones and then again with fuse added ones. And warranty side was having issues with a number of returns and finally when TI went to government and asked for tax write down to pull out of production there was requirements to have enough inventory on to cover a few years of warranty replacements. The QI continued to be manufactured for over a year after sales shutdown to build up that stock of warranty replacements units in case they were needed.
  9. I did install ubuntu on internal SSD, it can be done Yes there is unexpected weirdness around installing OS'es onto m.2. But in the end I got around it by making the m.2 drive the default boot device, I created an EFI partition on the m2 and installed the rEFInd boot manager into it so I can select either Atari OS or Ubuntu at boot time. Since the December VCS update, some of the dual-boot issues seem to have been fixed. It used to be very easy to accidentally put Atari OS into update mode while dual-booting, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.
  10. What issue did you have with MiSTer and Joyride? With foft’s core on MiST, I have only had two problems: 1 - Related to paddle support, one of the games incorrectly detected that I had an SNES controller. The core maintainer added an option to disable paddle support which fixed the problem. I can reenable paddle support for the games that use it. 2. The enhanced video messes up a few homebrew games. Again, the core maintainer added an option to disable the enhanced video which eliminated the problem. Though I own an 800XL and an XEGS, the 8-bit FPGA allows me to run PAL software and, I think, use a stereo Pokey. The compatibility has been fantastic. Bob C
  11. What is posted is the final version. Papa Pete created a video on it.
  12. From what I've read, Trademarks can be lost through non use or lack of enforcement, Copyright protection is effectively never lost, unless explicitly given away or the copyright has expired. However, if you do not actively defend your copyright, there may be broader unauthorized uses than you would like.
  13. Mine has arrived. Oh hell yeah.
  14. Realistically you'd want 2 character heights additional top and bottom of the default text screen to cater for games, demos and software you're likely to come across. The system can actually do 3 character heights top/bottom additional to the default (6 total = 30 for 240 scanlines) Generally it's demos that will use a lot of the potential screen area where games will be a bit more conservative. On PAL - IMO there's no reason really to not have the entire 240 scanlines visible and most CRTs will be that way.
  15. and typically it's a long back holiday weekend!
  16. This works already with the "original" Eclaire Mini. I always used a wireless keyboard with mine. The main problem is that you quickly need an USB hub because the board contains only two USB ports. Might be an option if its design would not be closed.
  17. @WOPRpwJOSHUAJust to add, rambo xl will only work in stock 800xl machines and not 800xlf machines, (the 800xl with a Freddie chip). Post a pic of your 800xl's main board if in doubt. From the outside the look identical.
  18. Hey Guys, Take this poll and let's see where everybody stands! Is Atari right to sue State Farm? Yes, definitely Yes, pretty sure Undecided or neutral response No, pretty sure No, definitely https://take.quiz-maker.com/poll5149934x23C14E15-155
  19. I ordered mine from coolshop.co.uk so will be arriving later than the amazon crowd I guess, but it was £10 cheaper. At least it's not in the Netherlands anymore, got to Basildon at 9am but still with Fedex and they have to handoff to Royal mail who will probably take a week to deliver a 48 tracked parcel.
  20. Not sure what to do here. Grab the new rom or are there going to be changes made to the look of the Beast and then I would grab that rom... If the latest is the final then I will just grab that one.... Thx
  21. Build in the the VBXE? (didn't see that as an option to vote for). Also - if it's in FPGA 4x is nice but how about 65816 ?
  22. It appears from looking at a factory schematic that the oscillator may be a Pierce-gate design optimized to use a series resonant crystal. You would normally *not* use a crystal requiring an 18 or 20pF load capacitor in that design. Load capacitors are commonly used in parallel resonant Colpits oscillator design where a capacitor is placed directly across the crystal to force the crystal to resonate at the proper frequency. I see no such capacitor in the 800XL design. Has anyone tried a series resonant crystal like an ECS 35-S-1X? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ECS/ECS-35-S-1X?qs=CNVyLAqdhH3RajNnZxGUjg%3D%3D
  23. I think I just got lucky with the LGs since they don't display much horizontal border, so effectively they do the same job as the VGate.
  24. First I've heard of that, I'll have to check it out. Based on what I'm hearing I think the Incognito screen dimensions are correct and I need to dial my H and V width back a bit. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't demforming the picture by having a larger border on the top than on the sides. I'm used to adjusting the monitor size for more modern systems using the 240p suite so filling the screen completely is normal on those systems.
  1. Load more activity