All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Oh, good grief! I have Atari computers that can read the PC floppy disks! Sometimes I just don't think straight! I have uploaded the files that come with the Atari Portfolio PC Card drive. I'll add additional content to this post to update about this project. CD.SYS CFX.COM
  3. Pinhead: 14,025 Played this one quite a bit back in the day. Fun one
  4. Do prototypes count? I think Snow White or Save Mary would have a female lead. -Ben
  5. Thanks for the feedback guys. So in the past when I've added sophia2 to stock pal 600xl machines the stock av is fine on composite. I was expecting to see more or less the same on a 600xl ntsc that has been converted to a pal machine, which is the case here with both 600XL's. Seems it only is the case with these two identically modded a8s that we have this overdrive, etc video output issue. I'll refer to it as overdrive for now. The component values are exactly those as you see in the annotated image above. And in fact are a mixture of new passive components, and for the harder to find one's, just ones taken from xe/xl donor boards. I was careful with the caps also, to orient them in the same way as they went in. I had a dead pal 600xl donor board also as a guide. I don't think with past 600xl stock pal machines which I had sophia2 in, that the pot stopped doing anything at all like is the case in both of these machines. This is pretty bad in both cases with these pal convertered ntsc machines. It's really noticeable on the ready prompt screens of both systems. I hadn't noticed it quite so much in side3 menus first time around, but had only looked quickly at the time. As you can see the yellow artifacting.It's and overdriven display is really bad. So I guess does anyone suggest any if those components in the annotated image above which might be the culprit and or which I can switch out for a different value? In fjc's video he is adding the din5 jack and supporting components to get it to work in an ntsc system. He is not then adding sophia2, pal sys crystal and pal antic like I am and his 600xl remains an ntsc. Also, he mentions in the video he didn't have certain components to hand, so he used others in their place. For example, he didn't have a 3k ohm resistor, so used 3.3k. He also observes in the video that his composite output is acceptable. Incidentally, we have exactly the same LG lcd monitor. And advice from anyone as to which components in the above annotated image might be causing this would be great. I've never seen it thus bad on composite on any 600xl, and because it happens on two systems, presumably it the same component(s) causing it. BTW @tf_hh was kind enough to help me out with the first one with a fix to initial red vertical lines I was getting, which turned out to be the presence of w2. Once cut out, the red lines disappeared. I did the same with the second one. @flashjazzcat had also confirmed the removal of w2 would resolve that particular issue when I was subsequently in contact with him. Thanks guys. If either of you have any suggestions from fixing this identical issue as outlined in post one, which is affecting both of these converted ntsc to pal sophia2 equipt 600xl machines, I'd be most grateful. I am sure it'll be a quick fix for both, and will be the same thing causing it.
  6. Right there with you Beefy, although no cornhole for me. I’d rather skip that and just do the drinking part! I just had a Yuengling Flight for the first time this past weekend camping, not a bad beer for a low carb option. My wife’s family is from PA, so Yuengling is a must!
  7. I just spent two hours failing to get a second enemy in. Everyone seems to want more enemies in Flying Hamburgers but every time I try to, I fail. So there's only one solution: Don't try any more. It's so frustrating. Why does programming have to be so mean and hard and STUPID? There will only be one enemy in the game at a time because I have to fail at everything and make nothing but crap games because I'm too stupid to make more complex games. My arm just started hurting in a peculiar spot and it's really painful. And annoying. And I don't know why. I'd say it was due to my arm resting on the desk typing, but it's not at that spot. It's down further. I keep going to sleep at midnight and waking up at 1 p.m. Whatever. I just don't really care any more.
  8. My latest Atari 800: She needed some super glue thanks to poor packing in shipping and a Mitsumi mylar peal and reset, All perfect again.
  9. The legacy video I would say is much the same, but entirely possible that it generates a stronger/more saturated colour signal which could affect mods that otherwise work well on a standard system. I can't recall if I tested RF on mine and probably didn't use the stock monitor port much either (600XL)
  10. Big thanks to Papa Pete for hosting the ceremony! I was not able to watch it live, but I watched the recorded stream a few days ago.
  11. Congratulations to all the winners! There were many excellent contenders this year. Thanks to all the programmers, producers, and community for making all this happen!
  12. Doubtful. I don't think there are that many places that make chips, unfortunately. I did find this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdode3PfTbs But there isn't much information to go on. It looks like the guy somehow used an ARM processor.
  13. I'll think about it. Quite frankly, I don't know how many people would be interested in a Z-80 board. It's somewhat of a pet project in that I started it as a personal challenge to get a working board from a lousy picture.
  14. Well, I didn't have any choice with the 800XL remake. Though, I'd love to see one-to-one replacements for the LSI chips. I also don't want to be in a position to have to scrounge around on ebay to get Z-80 chips.
  15. Hi, Anyone have the companion cassette to Xenophobe for the Atari ST? Love to hear the music on it!
  16. i used a small square piece of electrical tape in the center, it's still working fine after a week of use UPDATE: after playing more extensively, it has failed too, with registering down as down right fairly often... sigh i wil probably open it back up and see what more can be done, but not tonight
  17. Well done! I haven't tried the dremel method myself but I have soldered donor pins onto the remains of missing pins many times but that's an easy fix compared to having to dremel off part of the package to get to it. One of the problems with buying from China is that they often don't use sufficient packaging. I've received loose chips in plastic bags. I don't know how they expect the chips to survive like that. It is nice to see that you received genuine unpainted parts though.
  18. I wondered if I been too harsh on a favourite of others, which personally did nothing for me until I played Yars:Recharged. So… I just wanted to say, - I did change my mind seeing it was designed to be played dependent on a manual, not just on whats on-screen after you turn it on. I wonder if technically they could’ve made space for some auto-game intro, stopping at certain points, showing text explaining what you was supposed to accomplish, or whether memory was absolutely filled on the cart? On Yars:Recharged, only a tiny intro-tutorial is enough to explain the main point, which could make it eligable for a Arcade cabinet version. The 2600 version - if it doesn’t have it, would feel more ‘arcadey’ if it had a little tirtorial auto-game. But then again, if the entire point was to make home-consoles have more complex gameplay, to make it worth for people to get ‘originals’ not only ports, then they probably wouldn’t have done it anyway.
  19. Today
  20. It doesn't. TBH, this does not look so bad, some of my screens / video setups, even UAV or Spectre do similar quality. Also, in Jon's video you will see a flash of the composite signal after the conversion, it looks rather bad too. Also, as far as I understand, Sophia is not using some parts of that PAL circuitry you added (it ignores / does not need the PAL input).
  21. It would be very interesting if this proof of concept actually became a complete game, in the style of the classic Rampage. Stay Puft fits perfectly with the giant creatures that cause a scene of chaos and destruction wherever they go, cities are left in rubble, in the same way that the great kaijus in the cinema do, like Godzilla or King Kong.
  22. You created the advanced 800XL remake that requires chips that have not been manufactured for over 40 years. And chips are still readily available. The Z80 was still being manufactured until the recent announcement. So there will be inventory available.
  23. Wont they be available from 3rd party manufactures? Maybe not be called z80 tho
  24. You might as well finish it anyway, people can cannibalize for the chip if need be in the future. Probably could get a good number of them out now while you can.
  1. Load more activity