All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Found how to reinitialize on HSC manual: Clearing Scores & Changing Personalized Name: If for some reason you wanted to wipe out the High Scores for a particular game or for all High Scores or if you wanted to change the Personalized Name of your cartridge you can enter the Maintenance Mode of the cartridge. 1. Insert a game that works with the High Score Cartridge such as Asteroids on top of the High Score Cartridge. 2. Wait 24 seconds for the High Score Screen to appear. 3. Press and hold the PAUSE button and press the Select Button. 4. You are now in the Maintenance Mode screen. Select what you would like to clear and press the FIRE button. Once complete move the Joystick to DO Nothing and press FIRE and select YES and you will EXIT the Maintenance Screen.
  3. OK, did you check the on-screen display and there the menu selection "Input settings" / "Input assignments (this system)"? There you should look at the settings for the "twin joystick", close to the end of the list.
  4. Out with the old one and in with the new one. Ten years my ass May 19th 2025 it should have lasted until, oh well now how long before the second one dies in the condo I wonder, I can't see the expiration date on it without removing it. This new one I wrote it in black marker on the outside and gave it 7 years so 2031 will be time to swap it out again. At least I don't have to listen to the 3 beeps every 30 seconds like last night and all day yesterday, started chirping at 6am. Crazy.
  5. It's just seen through the normal joystick registers as gray code. Any drivers written for it need to therefore be written in machine language in order to keep up with movement, to any practical usage.
  6. I had similar issues with my Toshiba 32 flat screen even tho it accepts yellow, white, red rca directly l, I bought a cheap RCA to HDMI converter and used the HDMI port on the TV and it was much better. Shame as the whole reason I bought that TV to began with as it still had RCA connections on it which is rare these days.
  7. Thanks for the testing and feedback on real hardware.
  8. I didn't have Missile Command back in the day. So, it was a good find (among so many others) when I returned to the hobby. I've also had a few CX80's (and ST Mice) for playing it. I have quite a few hacks (often unfinished) strewn all over this forum (and a few for the 2600), which basically target various graphic weaknesses of the originals. For instance, this fix of Parker Brothers' Q*bert for the 8-bit computers, in which the original has this mixed-up thing going on with his feet and legs. It just seems like someone was in a hurry creating the graphics for it. I like playing Q*bert a lot; so, it was partly a sanity hack, to allow me to play without seeing the stupidity every time. After I hacked his legs, I continued on with various other graphic shortcomings in the game. Here's the thread. There are quite a few versions posted along the way; so, you'll need to go towards the end to find the most-recent one. Q-Bert - Fixed Feet/legs I should probably consolidate links and/or files for all my hacks into one thread. Never heard of that one. I've used Atari-native tools for hacking in recent years, but I mostly use PC-based tools for everything at this point.
  9. @JasonACT Unfortunately, these kinds of problems are quite normal with the mod. I never understood, with absolute certainty, what it could depend on; it could be various things because being old equipment connected to modern monitors anyway already this could be a factor. For example, I had noticed that using CRT monitors worked better with the mod, but the result changed also only after changing various brands of monitors/LCD TVs. A whole host of factors can create signal changes and I could not figure out why (the beauty of analog signals ). Often some components deteriorate over time and could give different problems, either from modulator parts or Monitors/TVs. But it can also be just more or less compatible with the LCD monitor/TV, depending on brand- Another example, on the same TV monitor I had improvements by using the RGB SCART port of the TV interposing an RCAtoSCART adapter on the cable instead of using the direct RCA connectors. However, I see you are doing a lot of trial and error and maybe you will be able to optimize the signals better.
  10. Thanks! The rom starts as every other, but neither the keyboard or controller (PS4/Xbox One/ WiiU) do not work for starting a game. Only P on keyboard for Pause works. The dozens of other games I played work fine.
  11. Wasn't that an offshoot of disgruntled settlers who had originally come in as part of the Great Minitel Migration? IIRC, they were trying to establish Minitel service ahead of its 1980 launch so that the network in the New World would be under their control, but it all fell apart somewhere in Missouri when they got into a heavy battle with the Teletext Pioneers; the casualties decimated their numbers and those who survived ceded the territory they had gained, moving southwards in near-total defeat. There are still some small pockets of Minitel adherents in scattered parts of Louisiana, from what I understand.
  12. I know there are some variations in Raspberry Pi PSUs. What specs do you prefer? 27w 5.5A 20w 4A 15w 3A
  13. The 2600+ with "real" joystick ports doesn't handle things that change the inputs to outputs, which is how the keypad controllers work. But the 400 Mini is USB, so I don't know how you would get the ST Mouse connected and what signals are required. I know there are several different adapters to plug real Atari controllers into a USB port for use with emulators, and some of them can work with weird modes but require some host support to enable that. As a side topic, I'm curious as to how a ST mouse is seen on an Atari 8-bit.
  14. Actually you can apply one of many possible upgrades (I'm using the one from this picture), you'd just need to adapt 44256 chips to 4464 chip sockets (20 to 18 pin). Everything else is the same as in the 16x16pin RAMs case.
  15. Got it. That's unfortunate for ERE Informatique, because I can't remember ever hearing them mentioned in any of the English-language reviews of the time - or, if they were, it was such a small mention that it didn't stick in my mind. Thinking about it, though, their name did appear somewhere on the title screen, IIRC. Looking a bit deeper, I can't recall ever playing Commander Blood and Big Bug Bang was one I'd never even heard of until now. I'll probably check them out at some point, but need to get a DOS VM running again first. North & South was pretty good. Never saw any of the sequels / remakes, though.
  16. Stats will have to be delayed until Thursday or the upcoming weekend. I came home after work, didn't feel that well and already slept 4.5 hours before the clock even is 11 PM.
  17. Thomas, I believe you can do it with three carts! 😆
  18. No, the GD just acts as a single HSC.
  19. The two, additional, "CXSTICK"s I ordered finally arrived. They perform pretty much the same as the ones I got with my two 400 Mini units. Which means ... no special issues either registering, nor mis-registering, diagonals. Played through several games with each of them, Missile Command, Missile Command+, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. and they've been fine. I was almost hoping one of them would have issues ... as I'd have felt less-bad dismembering it ... as they were bought, principally, for their control boards - which I'll be turning into a mini-arcade unit (based on the ION iCade) as well as a CX40/CXSTICK themed "arcade stick". Not expecting them to be any different internally than my originals, but we'll see when I gut them.
  20. I find out soon if my time was well spent developing a prototype of this thing based on the service manual and online photographs. In any case, I'm still interested in an original if anyone's interested in parting with theirs? -=P=-
  21. Updated WIP: Run, Fox, Run! (A8) by Wojtek Bociański @bocianu, Adam Wachowski @+Adam+, Piotr Lis @LiSU | WIP Binary (20240423) | NOTE: Part of Grawitacja 8Bit GameJam 2024 | Listing Updated: Apr 23, 2024
  22. So, what, will we see a reboot or continuation of something like driver? Most infograms games were third party, but they had some decent engines.
  23. I don't know if it's less "fun" ... but it's a welcome alternative ... even if I'm, at best, doing 2/3rds my "regular" (8-bit) Missile Command score on it so far. I think Missile Command was the second cartridge game I got for my original Atari 800 (the first was "Star Raiders" ... unless my memory is scrambled), so it is a bit "special" for me. I even bought the CX80 "Trak-Ball" for it, though that was a couple of years later. That'll be nice to see. There was a fun little tool I used to use for such things, I think it was called "CASSIVER", though I can't find it anymore, which was an monitor/assembler/editor program (default background color was red, if that helps). Though most of my "real" 8-bit code was done first on Atari's "Assembler/Editor" cartridge, and then on Mac/65 (hence the profile pic).
  1. Load more activity