All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. stirrell

Yars Rising

I can’t wait to see what cars are available 🙄.
  3. Replying to an old topic here (I just joined the forum) but maybe someone finds this information useful. On an 800XL, I would not use PB0, PB1 or PB7. Ports PB2-PB6 go nowhere in the 800XL, its MMU does not know. There is no logic that inhibits e.g. turning the self-test rom on/off. Disabling "everything" by pulling REF low on the PBI will work, I still would not be doing it on my old hardware. If that kind of "abuse" would someday kill my ANTIC, I'd be terribly sorry. Anyway, so we use PB4 to enable bank switching. Which leaves PB2, PB3, PB5, PB6 in Rambo mode for a total of 16 RAM pages. Or 8 RAM pages (not using PB5) when running in Compy mode. So this is how we can implement many more RAM pages: Lets assume Rambo mode, so there are the first 4 bits (PB2, PB3, PB5, PB6) to select RAM pages. The PIA resides at addresses 0xD300 - 0xD303 (4 registers). But the chip select decoder does not decode all address bits. It only decodes the upper 8 address bits (A8-A15). So a valid PIA address looks like this (in binary): 10110011XXXXXXYY. Adress bits 0 and 1 (the 'Y' bits) are decoded by the PIA and decide which PIA register you are accessing. Address bits 2-7 (the 'X' bits) can be anything, you always reach the PIA. So on a PBI memory expansion you would have to implement some logic to "record the data bus" when the CPU writes to 0xD301. That way you know what the contents of (PB2, PB3, PB4, PB5, PB6) are. But if you change the "recording" to address (in binary) 10110011XXXXXX01, you can catch the write on all 64 valid addresses. Now also record address bits 2-7 when you record the data bus. You end up with 10 bits total, 6 bits from the address bus (A2-A7) and 4 bits from the data bus (PB2, PB3, PB5, PB6). That gives you 10 bits for selecting memory pages. Bingo, 10 bits equal 1024 pages 16 kByte each for a total of 16 MByte of extended RAM. Existing software which only knows about the 130XE will be able to access 4 pages of ram. Software that knows Compy expansions will be able to use 8 pages. 16 pages in Rambo mode. 1024 pages if you use all the possible addresses to reach the PIA. Hope this explains a bit how big expansions can work without compatibility problems. Baer
  4. Thank you so much! I'm currently working on adding in fruit into the game. I have definitely been thinking about a sprite swap using Atari and Sprite as the protagonist/antagonists after I've finished the full game. Treat Time is a great name or possibly Treat Line to preserve some of the original name of the game. - James
  5. To me, FV seems like a slower, more deliberately paced version of River Raid. I actually prefer FV over RR.
  6. That's a new low for bought machines
  7. So happy for the YT. I had missed the part where I needed to reuse the Space Bar end pieces. Good point about the soldering timeline. And doggone that's a tiny switch for the Alpha Lock. My print(s) are not hugging it very well and I'm afraid to make it too tight. I'll get there though everything else has worked out pretty well. I'm doing most of the pieces in PETG. I think it is stronger and my tolerances seems to "Tolerate" it better than PLA. Thanks again for all you work. OBTW - PCB's scheduled to arrive the 23rd. This one (I call it my Ti99-4aW Polished) has some goofy keys and is a good candidate to see if I can make your board work on it. The aluminum was all mangled, glued and taped when I got it so I decided to polish it and paint it. It's actually quite attractive😍
  8. Im running Batocera off a USB drive so I am running Legacy Boot mode and not UEFI
  9. What crowd..you mean stuff like Double Dragon? The original arcade Ninja Gaiden absolutely 100% stood out as a new style fresh beat-em-up with unique features like the ability to grab/move onto overhead items, hurdle over enemies and throw them into objects, etc. I remember totally wishing we would see a home port of it and being very disappointed by the NES version.. BUT eventually grew to love it lol. Anyway yes, by the time it got ported to the Lynx, Beat-em-Ups were pretty common but I still think it was an accomplishment we finally got the arcade game for home play.
  10. @swlovinist, I grabbed a white copy at MGC this year and the game is FANTASTIC!! I would love to take advantage of the Yamaha sound, but I have no plans to get a 2600+. Will a digital version be on sale at any point? I would love to play it on my Game Drive with the extra sound and crispy RGB video!
  11. Also you should be aware of MBR vs GPT partition types if you aren't already. MBR is the old legacy style, GPT is newer, a bit more complicated. You probably should use GPT, I think support for the legacy type needs to be enabled in VCS BIOS anyway. https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/
  12. I have a Rev 16 Vader board. All chips are socketed. but also having a kind of similar problem with lines on the screen or nothing at all. any ideas on what to do to fix this?
  13. I've never been one to talk about markets, company decisions, or any of that high level/broad-view stuff etc.. I pretty much only know my own simple viewpoint as a consumer back then. And as an 20 year old avid gamer who had money to spend in the late 80s, I bought both the Lynx and Gameboy at launch and was enthusiastic about both platforms. But the GB won out for me while the Lynx eventually gathered dust. Yes the software was a big deal.. While I'd be the first to show anyone the awesomeness of having Stun Runner.. on a HANDHELD.. The avalanche of software on the GB was simply "more". But, aside from the software, a lot of it was the hardware! The Lynx was big.. I couldn't carry it as easily in my pocket as an original GB. And as we all know, the thing ate batteries. Back then it was a hassle and expensive to maintain the ability to play the darn thing on the go for only a couple of hours. So I used it tethered to an adapter in my bedroom a lot... So there went the portability. Even worse was eventually in my launch model the power-supply port got ripped off the 2 meager solder points and got lost. At the time I didn't have the ability or know-how to replace it .. so to the storage bin it went. The Gameboy on the other hand, had zero issues for years (and still has none) and long battery life despite me taking it everywhere. e.g. in the car, on planes, carrying it in my pocket walking around a mall, whatever.. and with plenty of games, it just naturally "won" out as my go-to.
  14. The full Manual usually get printed in to a manual or into a user guide book later on by Paul Andrews, Andrews UK, I have both THEC64 Manual Hardback version and THEA500 User Guide books.
  15. yeah, I usually use Linux's fdisk to prepare drives for Windows. Set partition type to 7 for NTFS. Should be doable in Windows installer, but sometimes it doesn't work well for whatever reason. If you don't want to install Linux, there are live USBs you can use to get the work done.
  16. So this is the actual game that the old Portal demo was showing. Will some of the features that the Portal demo had make it over to the actual game? Like the Pokey audio and Covox speech for instance?
  17. I got a replacement 1TB internal M.2 SSD drive for my VCS800 and am trying to install Win10 from a USB stick (via media creation tool). Windows see's my drive and I can create a New Partition but Windows says it cant create a new partition or locate an existing one to install? When I did this over a year ago I for some reason remember having to use Linux Mint to partition the drive and such for windows?
  18. Glad you are having the fun! No specific PDF file, but the basic instruction is on the download page here. Downloads – Carrot Kingdom™ Sadly that part got derailed, when I survive the stroke a few years ago.
  19. I agree. I’m waiting for the finished version. I’m not sure if Tru will release it on cart, but if not, I’ll have a reason to buy a Game Drive.
  20. Iam sure, that the more Tru learns about the Jaguar, the better MK will improve on its way to completion. Also, remember it runs on Jagstudio, proving the potential of those software tools
  21. Very possible. That certainly is ringing bells, but I'm not quite 100% sure that's it. Either way, thanks for the refresher; it'd been quite some time since I'd read about that
  22. I was too; I never believed it wasn’t capable. Tru is proving it’s a capable processor/chip!
  23. Ahh, printing photos of a certain environmental activist, were we ...?
  24. I agree, Alien is a reach. Despite the film tie-in, the humans in this game aren't really characters as much as generic avatars for us, the players. Blank canvases onto which we can ascribe any attribute. It can be Ripley if you want it to be, which is different than it's Ripley, full stop. If Ripley is in Alien, then Raquel Welch is in the submarine in Fantastic Voyage. 😜
  25. Today
  26. Lol no I'm not hoarding huge scores, I guess I'm trying to get to my previous pb
  1. Load more activity