All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. My original copy of SCRAM came in the big box, with the full-size manual, much like actual Atari cartridges of the time. At least in the UK, third-party cassettes were more often than not just a shrink-wrapped standard cassette box with a printed inlay. Gridrunner came that way. Though the Microprose stuff, like Solo Flight and F15 Strike-Eagle came in larger "proper" boxes - albeit different to, and smaller than, the Atari ones.
  3. there is one on eBay right now at the bargain price of 4000 dollars! and what a library, that ok fighting game and that Bomber Man clone, doesn't get better! more seriously odyssey 2, still more affordable than most classic consoles, and the library as a whole is pretty good,
  4. Well you can add XB3 to that list of ways to get RND working I am currently disassembling all of XB3 GPL GROMs and ROMs.
  5. Some of the Avalon Hill games were on cassette and in big boxes just like the disk version, for obvious game playing reasons.
  6. All, attached is the complete instructions for this composite mod. I'll have time this weekend to inspect for cold joints, solder bridges etc. Atari 7800 Composite Mod.pdf
  7. 🤔 this look like a good idea. Some of the Brazilian PlusCart Duo users have used the static firmware update on the temporary message page. For devices that are not on the firmware beta tester group this will result in flashing the latest (v2.3.17) PlusCart firmware. By doing this these users have lost their SD-Card support. Uploading and flashing the PlusCart Duo firmware via their "My ROMs" folder would be an easy way to get back the SD-Card support.
  8. Brainfart. They're both Activision. But yes, Kaboom isn't configured to use the paddles.
  9. I might mess with this in near future if I want to unleash my inner Power Pill Fist. :3
  10. Glad you're still alive and kickin'. I've been a long-time lurker back then and...well...glad this game got finished despite everything that happened. I'll definitely try this game later.
  11. A global/default config, with bigger ranges for those values, would indeed be nice. Ahead of that, I built a little tool that'll let you do such things - to entire collections of games if you want it to. You can have it generate complete config files, with the settings you want, and then apply those configurations to one or more games. You can use an existing .cfg file, created with the 400 Mini's configuration screen, and apply that to other games. In both cases, those won't affect existing config files. However, it also has the ability to update/apply new config files, or limited changes, to ALL of your config files: So, let's say you wanted to set ALL of your existing games, that have .cfg files, you'd start by creating a file that has just the changes you want to make, and save it as, say, "display.cfg": display_start_line = 0; display_height = 240; display_width = 350; And then you can apply that to all of your games (that have .cfg files) with: amet.py config update -r display.cfg "/folder/with/my/games/" If you want to see which files it hits, add " -v 2" after the "-r". If you don't have configs for all your games, it can create them and apply them, for which see the config "create" and "apply" commands.
  12. @Al_Nafuur Would it be possible to enable updating firmware versions by adding the new version "firmware.bin" within the "My ROMs" directory? This way you could update the cartridges without the need for the STM32CubeProgrammer.
  13. Thanks for the positive feedback. One thing I added at the end was the ability to change difficulty levels. There are several tables that control things like maximum smart bombs and missiles per level, how frequently the planes and satellites come out, and the speed of the incoming missiles. This made it easy to tweak them to provide different difficulty levels. Of you ever wanted to try to flip through all of the colors (20 levels) and get back to black, change the difficulty from arcade to Private, Captain, or Colonel for an easier time playing.
  14. Thank you, @Windless, this information is very interesting! And very helpful to my understanding. Oh, yes! I like longer explanations like this one. So, what if we say that only one CPU car can appear on the screen at one time? Would that make it possible, then?
  15. Today
  16. No. Because: - Being strong at a game generally requires more than knowing the game. (People who write the rules for tennis or soccer are not the one who win the world championships, same goes for videogames) - Some (hardcore) gamers know the games way better than the developers. (Big editors normally hire players to learn about their games.) You may have a look at this video which illustrates these two point (focus is on how long it takes to finish the game, not on the score, but the principles stays true) (video is not short, but very interesting imo)
  17. Garfield, Beware of Dog...What the?!

Comic Strips

18. There is a workaround for that by manually changing the config file that is created for each software image on the USB stick. More info here:
  19. Yoooo, it would great to see Ocean Software get brought back. Afterall they were the inspiration for my pseudonym, Oasys.
  20. Hi All, Just collected a Mega 4 today, It's a bit flaky and will crash is it's given a light tap. I need to work out what's going on there. When I opened the unit I noticed a strange mod. I've attached a few pictures. Anyone know what it is. Note that when I connect the yellow and pink wires the unit will not boot. It only boots when they are disconnected. Any thoughts? Can it be easily revered by removing the various wires, desoldering the piggy-backed 74LS74AN and replacing the 68000?
  21. Landed on the XPR, it got discounted to a 100 after I posted on here. I guess the announcement did the drop in price. Made me regret not getting this device earlier, so far I feel like this has been the nicest experience of playing retro games on a handheld in modern times. I love my analogue to play original carts, but having save states is amazing. Was hoping to find the Pico 1 Collection but looks like I am too late for that one.. only people selling them on ebay for $100-$200 :s
  22. Pretty much keep the gameplay exactly the same but add punts, FG's and team stats after the game. Maybe slow the game clock down but keep it running in between plays like it would in a real game. You could also make it possible to run out of bounds to stop the clock like real football. I would buy a 2600+ just to play this game on a modern TV. I understand that a good single player option might be hard to do but that would be great and would obviously make it more appealing to buyers. And if anybody within a 300 mile radius of Carroll County Georgia wants to play me lets meet halfway and I'll spank your ass like it's the 1980's all over again😜
  23. Check out the website Next Monday (29th) for all the info. Prices will include shipping to your particular region.
  24. Agreed! GameGuide ST and Lynx covered much more than games, it covered history, hardware, resources and had interviews as well as other great content. I'm doing the same again for the Jaguar, and the book is for old and new players too.
  25. I had a bit of a go, but I think you're right, it's just the nature of the beast. My USB2 capture device has no issue with the lost 2 pixels on the left, they are there. You can change resistors and get colour red to be more vibrant, but at cost to the other colours that may get washed out. I tried different caps but that made little difference until the unit failed altogether, but I've ended up picking a single cap that works OK, rather than two connected ones from the original circuit. You just need to let the video chip warm up, I think. This is what I've got now, a 1K pot to get the colours right in various games, but it's much the same as the original circuit. Thanks for making it available I snipped the tin side panel so the cable can go through, rather than poke it through the bottom-panel hole - as the unit bulged otherwise, when screwed together.
  1. Load more activity