All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I had grub installed until the December update. Atari changed something and my grub configuration was no longer able to boot AtariOS. I put rEFInd on until I could figure out a new grub configuration. But rEFInd is so much easier to configure that I haven't bothered fixing grub yet. Atari is/was doing something unusual with EFI/boot and it's never been fully explained to my knowledge. That's what made dual-booting tricky. It used to be that there were two bootable images for AtariOS, and booting one of them would trigger update mode. But it would occasionally "switch" and the image that always worked would suddenly trigger update mode and the other one would boot AtariOS. After the December update, I only see one bootable AtariOS image, and it always seems to work. If they are temporarily inserting bootable things during the update process that might explain the odd behavior I've seen in the past. I don't think I've ever triggered the update loop with refind, but I have triggered it with grub in the past. I'd love to see a definitive guide to dual-booting the VCS, so I'm happy to contribute any info I can.
  3. just looking on Youtube here is an example of the crap you can see on that segment of the Alleydog demo on non UGV A8s: A still:
  4. OK, I understand. Best-Electronics has been an important source for Atari stuff you can't find anywhere else for many years, but its website and listings are not necessarily a trustworthy source of information. I even wrote to Bradley Koda at Best Electronics years ago about this fault with the frequency of C061090, but unfortunately he never replied or corrected the list.
  5. I think so, because when GenX was using the new VCS stick for the paddle with the hiddens games (Super Breakout and Castle Crisis), he needed TheCX Stick plugged in for the function buttons (because he was playing carousel games, which can't remap the controller -- which they should probably change).
  6. Yeah, that's annoying. Plug in a Analogue console and it's like (while not perfect) playable and feels like it should. Plug in some AT Games thing to the same tv, same settings, same input, blah blah, turn the paddle knob, go have dinner, and come back to watch the thing move (slight exaggeration) and some yay-hoo will be like "use game mode" like that's some magic fix all.
  7. I use ACP.xex to setup my displays, as it has nicely defined corners on the display.
  8. I sure hope this is the case...
  9. And really, Atari 8-bit doesn't need ADC for audio input. It would be enough just to mix audio input with your audio output to handle everything the physical hardware does.
  10. Btw I'm dealing with a crt monitor if that helps any.
  11. Actually on the last update, two gentlemen on the Discord VCS using rEFInd did discover the EFI Boot partition numbers changing during the VCS update and causing an Update Loop. Normally after the VCS Update completes, it removes the Update EFI from the boot options. I'm just wondering if the presence of rEFInd keeps the VCS update present and therefore rEFInd keeps the update loop active until manually redirected. I've used Grub2Win before for dual boot of Linux and Windows, but I have no experience with rEFInd. Perhaps you can add further clarification on this.
  12. Thanks. Box, manual, and label are all complete. Mostly it's just the shell. The first one is being reprinted, and I'm guessing there'll be a second prototype, followed hopefully by the final version.
  13. It's not uncommon for TV studios to buy stuff on ebay to use for shows. I don't think that ebay sale was the one (the one in the show looks like it has more top vents) but I can bet it is very close to this model. As for TV colors, orange, pea green and mustard yellow amongst other colors were used on CRT's (and just about everything else) in the 70's
  14. Sounds like you're pretty far along then. Maybe just ship it, or do what you can to turn it into a proper shippable project, cheap and reliable as possible. Account for users unplugging and plugging in cartridges a lot, make sure this doesn't break anything. Maybe ask for help with your noise issue.
  15. That might be the same one from the show. Good catch.
  16. Hi @Chrisa850, The spec for the other frequency came from the part listing from Best Electronics which seems to be a typo on the page. As for using the part, I thought I did. I used the following part: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cts-frequency-controls/MP036S/67661 Svideo works for color but not composite. @reifsnyderb had a similar experience as well. Can you give us some insight to why this is an issue? Thanks!
  17. Thanks - I'll download it and have a look. Depending on the results, my next question will be is the effect any different from what one would have seen on a CRT back in the 80s or 90s, and therefore not the 'fault' of the display device but the software itself. That would imply that the purpose of V-Gate isn't to compensate for the overscan area visible specifically on LCDs, but to simply mask graphical data which would always otherwise be visible anyway. I'll have a look, anyway. EDIT: Yes, the effect is visible in Altirra (I'm filming a customer machine on the desk at the moment, so can't test on real hardware just now): So clearly a software matter rather than a display issue. Doesn't really bother me so I'd be reluctant to install hardware in order to hide it. Indeed, fifty per cent of what's there is still visible on the V-Gate photo.
  18. Emulation has made great strides for me in two areas: 1. CRT and retro scanline filters. Some of them have gotten so good that it makes me not miss CRT monitors. 2. "Read-Ahead" which Retroarch uses. Those two alone move me away from being an FPGA "snob". The issue is, the second option, run-ahead is not used by almost any emulators and its a shame. I am still shocked on this forum with so many of us have original Atari hardware and CRT monitors, yet we also love emulation, which has a pretty impressive lag difference vs FPGA or the real thing.
  19. I too have a LG M227WD. On my stock and non-UGV enhanced A8s I've often seen crap when running the Alley Dog demo, with the segment towards the end with the pets. Will see if I can take a pic sometime. So this segment (which is being cleaned up by UGV): ...on my non UGV A8s will normally have DLI crap at either edge of the screen, even on my LG M227WD with 16:9 ratio Next time I run the demo I'll snap a pic.
  20. Hello all: The next Chicago TI Users Group meeting will be held this Saturday, March 30th 2024 at 01:00 PM CDT / 18:00 UTC at the Evanston Public Library. This meeting date will replace our April 2024 meeting. Evanston Public Library Main Library 1703 Orrington Avenue Evanston IL 60201 (847) 448-8600 Conference Room East (311) We plan to stream the meeting via our YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTtWUO1syCerK4cPjOjPjg The stream usually begins by about 01:30 PM CDT / 18:30 UTC. Chicago TI Users Group http://chicagotiug.org
  21. I have a retro tuner/receiver with lots of component, s-video, and composite inputs, then I also have a radio shack av switcher plugged in to the S-Video port of that. I like these Radio Shack switches because you can feed composite or S-Video into each port, and they'll output S-Video regardless of what you plug in, so you don't need to mess with extra cables to your TV/receiver or toggling more switches if your TV/receiver can't take S-Video and composite in on the same input. The Radio Shack 4-1 switches are plentiful on eBay for like $15-20. They're the curved grey/silver ones.
  22. Mine has arrived too! Perhaps get some time to use it a little later on! sTeVE
  23. Hello all: The next Chicago TI Users Group meeting will be held this Saturday, March 30th 2024 at 01:00 PM CDT / 18:00 UTC at the Evanston Public Library. This meeting date will replace our April 2024 meeting. Evanston Public Library Main Library 1703 Orrington Avenue Evanston IL 60201 (847) 448-8600 Conference Room East (311) We plan to stream the meeting via our YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTtWUO1syCerK4cPjOjPjg The stream usually begins by about 01:30 PM CDT / 18:30 UTC. Chicago TI Users Group http://chicagotiug.org
  1. Load more activity