All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I do not know about that. It took me more than two sessions to get it down. I had never played any other versions at that time, so maybe if you are extremely familiar with the other versions it is easy to get down.
  3. Sure. I was asked so I answered. However, my point is, I would really like to see a problem free design (as much as it is possible), and not one with a list of oustanding issues like the other thing, regardless if they do or do not overlap.
  4. I’m not saying there isn’t a market for emulation-consoles if quality assurance and extras are ramped up to meet demands and ‘24++ standards. I will however rate my Analogue Pocket (which built on openFPGA) with adapter set a clear 10/10
  5. No. The FPGA guys remind me of the Plasma TV guys. They'd rant and rave in their video forums about how anyone who bought an LCD TV was an idiot when plasma was so obviously superior. But they'd focus on a couple areas - deep blacks and maybe better viewing angles. But they'd ignore how LCD was better in many other ways: thinner, lightweight, easier to mount, more energy efficient, worked well at any room light level. Yeah LCD did have some issues, but they made great strides over the years to improve viewing angles, refresh rates and contrast ratios (to give deeper blacks). The Plasma guys would act like no improvement was ever made to LCD. Plasma died a decade or so back, but at least the 'deep black' guys have OLED to fawn over now! I've watched the emulation scene develop since the 90s and it's made amazing strides. Lag isn't a problem for me, probably because if an emulator performs poorly, I don't use it, and I stick with emulators that perform well. If there's lag there, I don't feel it. I can't rule out that there isn't a tiny amount, but not enough for me to notice. Just like I don't notice that the blacks on my LCD monitor here are really dark gray. I don't think the vast majority of people buying them are going to be bothered that these retro devices are running emulators, many probably haven't heard of FPGA nor could explain the difference between FPGA and software emulation. And as for price, for just over $100 you get a $30 joystick and over two dozen games. I don't see how that's overpriced.
  6. Hi Guys! The Atari 2600 in NTSC and PAL version has 3 digital bits to output the Luma video signal ( = Y ) which is great to have it digitally. However the chroma signal (CrCb) is a bit difficult to understand. I guess the TIA uses the timing from the color carrier (4,43MHz in PAL, 3,54 in NTSC) and does a QAM modulation. I am not sure but I think, the TIA does not do any analog modulation of the 0° and 90° (sin and cos) component of the color carrier. Maybe it does some phase shifting for the Cr and Cb signal and combines that to the chroma output? Does anyone exactly know how the TIA chip does this? Or does it really have a kind of resisitor ladder DAC inside for Cr and Cb and combines that somehow? Does anyone have a scope picture with that signal and the color carrier as a phase reference? I am wondering if there is a way to make a reliable chroma decoder that at the end comes out with 2 bits for Cr amd 2 bits for Cy. Is the internat color register of the TIA exactly a combination of 3 bit Y + 2 bit Cr + 2 bit Cb ? If we can decode the Cr and Cb signal, then we might do an RGB decoding with some digital logic ==> R = Cr-Y; B = Cr-Y ; G = 3Y - Cr - Cb Then we could make a high quality RGB output, but not with a super complicated pcb (as it already exists). Also if we have digital RGB, the way to DVI might also not be that far. for HDMI maybe that could be done with one of these: * ADV7513 from Analog Devices * TFP410 from TI * TDA19988 from NXP * Sii902X from Silicon Image
  7. Played it on the C64, and have some fond memories of it, but also felt it wasn't quite up to snuff with other platformers on the C64 at the time, e.g. Jumpman. Having to replay all the levels from the start every time you died quickly became tedious, especially with the early levels lacking challenge but tested your patience with the "fill every floor tile" mechanic. I don't know if the level skip feature was there on the C64, but it could have been a game changer if I knew about it. As it was, I don't think I got any further than level 5.
  8. Order # USD-C996802. Looking forward to receiving it.
  9. I believe someone was working on a port of Karateka. Why not take the opportunity to make an unique karate game with both match sequences and a story mode, similar to that game or Fist II? It would mean no obligations or infringements, but a nice addition to the library at the same time making those happy who think there are a bit too many 1:1 ports happening right now.
  10. Both of you are right, and I have fully visibility and appreciation for the capabilities and limitations of the 2600. However, in this case, the 2600 version is very small in comparison to the other computer versions. Pitfall II on any platform is essentially the same base game, but there is an EXTRA segment for the Atari 8-bit computers and 5200. With Montezuma's Revenge, almost the entire game has been truncated and what is there can simply be memorized in a couple play sessions.
  11. It's a Zenith. Here's one that sold on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256286099570
  12. I mean, this is the 2600 we are talking about. Just about every port for the system is scaled down and not going to be considered the definitive version of any game. Fewer levels, less detailed graphics and other trimmings are the norm. But that’s part of the charm isn’t it? There’s a simplification here that gets to the heart of what makes it fun when the game is done right. That’s why I believe we all still love the platform.
  13. Yeah, he's always made the ROM available for download for the 8-bit computers and 5200; he just charged for physical copies (and a modest price at that). I imagine he would want to charge a fee to Atari for it to appear on their commercial product, though.
  14. The audio input has not been done successfully. I had an ADC onboard but it was too noisy. The others work.
  15. 27 games if you have a VCS 800 Classic Joystick.
  16. Nice writeup, Brad! I recently had a go at this as well, and did not have the success you did. I did not do everything that you did, so I will go back and try it when I get some time. When I received my keyboard, only one key worked. Now, most of the keys work but there are few that do not. Of the ones that do work, there are many that need debouncing. That is, when I press a key once, I get 4 - 5 characters on screen. My research found a lot of the same fixes as described in your post, but I did find one other possible fix. 1. Max's video, which heats the mylar with a heatgun. I tried this but it had no effect for me. 2. Cleaning the carbon pads with alcohol. I did this and it certainly improved things for me. 3. Fixing the traces on the keyboard and mylar. I did not do this, but will go back and do so. 4. Making the keys stiffer, using some heat shrink. I tried this but don't have the right sized heat shrink, and gave up on it. Here's the video: I think that over time, a lot of things can degrade on this model keyboard. Each keyboard may have its unique failure points; so a particular fix for one keyboard might not resolve issues with a different keyboard.
  17. Can we keep this thread to my developments please. The MiSTer port is not one of mine.
  18. There is a bit of a price war story here https://oldcomputers.net/ti994a.html
  19. Got mine two hours ago. Up till now i can say: -Emulation must be an old Version of Atari800 as the sound is not good -But seems not be the standard Libretro Core as i could play Bosconian and GTIAblast with it (both 512K Games) -Cartridge Files from USB must have a Header. -As for 5200 Emulation: Kangaroo and Pole Position, i had Issues with the Joystick. Both not Playable. Have not tested Asteroids yet. -Often i have a strange buzzing noise, when emulation starts. But not with all games. But all in all, i like it very much, still there is room for improvement.
  20. Found some time to test today. The extended-time bonus is working correctly now and it has made the game even more challenging. It took many tries before I was able to get 2500 points. Came as close as 2,495 a couple of times, before finally breaking through. Loving the challenge.👍
  21. I wasn't aware the ROM was available, but thank you for bringing up this excellent point about licensing revenue for the developer.
  22. I hope you enjoy it! If you have anything good to say, please post it here. If not, please just email me
  1. Load more activity