All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. 12 years later... I grew up in the late 70s-early 80s with Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc. I was in college when the NES came to market, and I was far too busy with school to have much free time for videogames. I do own an NES with a few carts and enjoy it, but it just doesn't have the same sentimental value to me as my pre-NES machines.
  3. At first it sounded to me like a knackered cart connector. I once had a machine here with two address line contacts shorting out when no cart was inserted, resulting in no boot, but when a cart was inserted, the short was cleared and everything worked fine.
  4. I tried both ports. Maybe I don't have the joy keys set. I'd better try that today.
  5. Hey, thank to all who chimed in on these, either with interest or information or both. They are now gone and marked off in the first thread.
  6. I had a SB16/Gravis ACE combo. The ACE was a minimal version designed to be a companion to another sound card and just added wave table and multi-channel PCM (take the mixing load off the CPU). It worked well. If the game could't handle Gravis, it would certainly work with the SB16 OPL3. I've never tried Tempest 2000 on it though
  7. Have there been any audio previews or anything released / posted where we can hear some of it? I didn't see any but I only did a quick search.
  8. Has it done that since the build? If so after you do the IC tests, then I'd start looking for possible shorts under the sockets, starting with the 244's. Take a multimeter and see if you get continuity between two pins then investigate to see if you have a solder blob or a small solder ball ot wire piece shorting out a chip. If you find a possible short, check the same pins on your good 4000 to be sure that it is not doing the same.
  9. @jhd >>Previous comment about review deleted<< Woah, I didn't realize that was your review. Sorry for the harsh words. --- --- Most of the criticisms mentioned by jhd on his site apply to 99% of JRPGs, so I would caution anyone who likes JRPGs to take that into mind. I don't love Beyond the Beyond, and don't mean to defend it really, but instead of being awful it's just mediocre imo. I'd rate it slightly below Lunar on the Mega CD, but slightly above Cosmic Fantasy 2 on the PC Engine.
  10. That's what I was saying all along.. the system works perfectly fine with a cart.
  11. Released 4/23/24: Lunar Lander Beyond $29.99 Released on the VCS along with all other major platforms today! Sort of a re-think of the Lunar Lander arcade game, developed by Dreams Uncorporated, an indie studio that has released a few games prior, published by Atari. When I played it at PAX East it reminded me a bit of an updated Gravitar Recharged with different gameplay. This game's release on the VCS has been in question since the game's announcement, so neat to see it get a release here.
  12. That's an awesome list. I totally agree with your recommendations! Some classics, iconic titles, or just some of my favorites that haven't already been mentioned by others are: * Missile Command * River Raid * Pole Position * Jungle Hunt * Defender * Donkey Kong * Venture * Spider-Man * Combat
  13. I don’t know…this depends on my mood, and I was going to build my 2600 collection since I managed to buy one instead of an NES. I can’t really decide between the two. But I did buy an Atari 2600 first.
  14. AFAIK you can boot the machine without the BASIC rom chip in place just to see. Try removing it and booting up a game cart. Obviously you'll need to get a replacement.
  15. Is your friend gonna join up? If not, tell him we don't believe him.... 😃
  16. Yep I have all of that Gravis stuff. The pnp version of the gravis card has a different chipset than the earlier cards and has its own drivers, including a version of a soundblaster emulator "SBOS", which has a very different (and usually worse) sound compared to other soundcards (hence why I have also put a generic soundblaster in the machine). For most other games, I can use either my soundblaster or the gravis, its just this game where I can have sound or music but not both. Using the gravis soundblaster emulation doesn't work either. I have at least 50 other games on this pc and don't have this either/or audio issue with any of them
  17. Big game for the Ghosts today as they get two RBI's in the 2nd and score runs on fielder's choices in the 5th and 7th as they shoot down the River Raiders 4-1.
  18. I’ll start changing out IC’s to see if there is an offending chip giving the board angst.
  19. The one board I bought populated. This one is a bare board project and I’ve built it over the past 6 months - ran into this snag on the configuration as it still won’t just behave in either of my systems.
  20. I really hope they fix the cover by the time the regular version ships, but I am not hopeful about it. Turns out these records are most likely already pressed, since Atari released a limited number of them to record stores for Record Store Day last Saturday. I haven't seen one to check the accuracy of the track list, but all the promotional material is a mess of bad capitalization and spelling. Getting this for VCTR-SCTR "Vector Sector" as that track rips.
  21. I've has ZERO luck with any laser disk games. Especially since I am DYING to play Konami Badlands again! I tried multiple times in different ways, with no success.
  22. @Shaggy the Atarian Any update on the coin / credits fix? Wondering if you'll be able to get a "real" test this coming weekend.
  23. Oh well - I would have ordered both a 1400XL and a 1450XLD badge just to have in the event I was able to acquire either machine sometime in the future.
  1. Load more activity