All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. After half a day using the 400 mini there are two aspects that I like the most in comparison to my C64 mini: 1. The option to configure the controller or joystick inside the ui is awesome. For my C64 mini this is so much trial & error via PC. 2. The 400 mini is instantly off when connected to power. So I can let it be connected to my tv usb. If I do this with my C64 mini the device would boot every time I power on my tv. Atgames later had a better solution for the C64 maxi. This device has a power switch, not a power button. And another important improvement: The 400 mini is really off. The connected usb stick stays cold. On my C64 mini the usb stick is heated even in status off.
  3. I like them for classic arcade games, probably because I was standing close enough to the screen to see them clearly. Agreed that for Atari 8-bit graphics it’s really not necessary due to how low-res the images are already (and likely because I played on a small B&W TV where they weren’t very obvious.
  4. I would also totally buy these - far more appealing than a set of World Book encyclopaedias and no doubt easier to read than the mixed bag of PDFs I have stapled together in a folder.
  5. Yes, I know this is a 2600+ forum. I am just wondering what the crossover is with the two machines? Mine will arrive today and it's a voyage of discovery for me, I have no prior experience or nostalgia for the Atari 8 bit computers or the 5200. I had a 2600 then a ZX Spectrum BITD, my bro had a C64 which I also played on and later became mine too. There will be some crossover of games from those other systems, but it will be good to play new versions and more so games that are new to me. The first game I will play? I'm going for familiarity, Lee, I played it so much on the Spectrum and C64. A real top 10 game from my childhood. Does anyone have any must plays for the Mini 400?
  6. If I understand you correctly, SAMS is accessed via a window, into which you map whichever physical memory page you like in the SAMS device. That window may be a memory expansion part, like 2000-3FFFH or it could be the DSR page, 4000-5FFFH. Now I may have misunderstood the details (I've not worked with SAMS at all), but hopefully I have the core idea correct here. If so, then it's not any different than my home-made RAM-disk, which consists of the 64 K RAM i have "sleeping" in my internal memory expansion plus the 56 K (16 K RAM and 40 K GRAM) in my Maximem module. Now I conveniently have a card with RAM at 4000-47FFH, enabled by a CRU bit just like any DSR, where I can put the DSR for using this 120 K RAM as a RAM-disk with the p-system. My RAM-disk even uses the RAM at 4000-5FFFH, but then it has to disable itself, so first it must move code into other RAM and thus save what's there before returning. This complicates it a bit, but I took that effort just to be able to use the whole RAM available. With the much larger space available in SAMS, there's no point in such trickery. That process would be significantly more straight forward. You will also gain the advantage of compiling at twice the speed on the real machine, with the compiler on the RAM-disk. Even faster if source and code are on the RAM-disk too. For the purpose of the game, I agree, you are (and should be) happy with what you have. Being an industrial developer for 40 years, I look around the corner already before being there, out of habit...
  7. Hi John, I watched your video review and your concerns regarding the CX40. My 400 mini came yesterday and I played some hours on it. And yes, I noticed problems especially in games that have many diagonal movements: Bruce Lee and Fort Apocalypse for example. On my joystick the diagonal movements to the left were the problem. On the right side it was better. In Miner 2049 I was moving from right to left - no diagonal push on the CX40 - and surprisingly my miner took the first ladder down. That is awful. But on the other side I didn't notice problems in approximated 90 percent of my tested games. After a while I had the impression that the problem is the way I push the joystick. If I concentrated on doing it softly the problems were less noticable. This way I made it through Fort Apocalypse with - or despite - this news CX40. As you mentioned most of us have other controller options. I like the old PS2 controller (via adapter) as an alternative. But to be honest I was so looking forward to finally having an usb CX40. I want to play most of these old games with a joystick. It's not only nostalgia but also the best option for so many games. That's why I hope that atgames will fix the problems in future manufacturing or that there will be other usb joysticks from other manufacturers.
  8. It looks like its possible our orders could arrive today. Just been on Amazon to see if it was available or sold out. Still in stock and available for delivery by 10pm today.
  9. Whatever happened to Matthew Lesko? I never actually understood what the product or service was that was "free", I just remember that it didn't cost anything and I was supposed to be very excited about that. as a kid, he always reminded me of the Riddler

10. Yup, as above. Defo get rid of mtram. Socket and pop in some other brand. Hopefully that will be the only issue. Can be other things but ram is the first fix here. Edit in a rush but have a look here for ref to equivalent drams to use :
  11. Once again, unless Atari specifically protected the side arts on Crystal Castle's cabinet (which is a possibility, but I doubt it), there's no IP to protect, here.
  12. Thus it becomes your duty to up the level of violence. Fire up some Commando, shoot everything and anything that moves, blast them with grenades, and walk right by all your desperate comrades, imprisoned in the secret areas, leaving them there to rot and die.
  13. Today
  14. That's my assumption as well since it's not an Evercade branded product, but I'm very puzzled by FOUR new hardware options. Maybe some of them will be accessories, or maybe they will release new models of the EXP with Taito games instead of Capcom or something, but it's still very intriguing. It seems too soon to me to release a brand new handheld for instance; I'd love an EXP with better battery life but there's no way I will buy a new one and it would be simpler to just release a new battery for it.
  15. @Giles N PS Do you have that saying in Norway? Which starts out, "You gotta get up pretty early in the morning..." (I worried that one might throw ya)...
  16. Actually an inside joke, but when have I let that stop me? There are a few lodges, clubs, and charitable, fraternal organizations around here...the Moose, the Elks, the Eagles (Which is right across from work and I know plenty of members, They asked me to join and I will later maybe)...Anyway, other than having delivered there, I don't know anything about them. I only know the Eagles, Shriners, and have family ties to the Masonic Temple etc....They just became one of many punchlines for one of my friend's jokes...Which some days are nonstop.
  17. …oh, that one - the official Atari-Leather-Wear Belt, comes together with the Atari speakerpants, the Atari SteamPunk Gasmask and Boots. Comes of course in ‘Family Packs’
  18. Now I became really curious about this Moose Lodge - funniest ‘Inn’, ‘Tavern in Town’… or just some place out of Twin Peaks where nothing are what they seems…
  19. Not to mention that belt buckle...(For people re-using their old controllers in interesting ways)
  20. …talk about wierdness, I’ve struggled with insomnia in the past, and now it’d more settled to ‘just’ my sleeping-time be off-sync many times… (which is a small tradeoff for getting enough sleep every day). Hence my posts being - well, posted -, at so many different times during a day.
  21. Ya ever get an envelope in the mail and right there it says, FREE GIFT INSIDE?  And you think,  What could it be?  Swing for the fences, is it a Dodge Viper or a Maserati Merak (SS of course)?  Nope...An Evercade game?  Not in an envelope,  But is it something cool like a gift card that's worth something?  Can be, happened to me the other day,  but that's rare...Look it's probably a magnet for your fridge or a cloth to clean your glasses.   Course you could just open it up!  Nawww I'll wait til tomorrow...

1. dudeguy

dudeguy

Damn, I literally just posted about Matthew Lesko then saw you made this an hour earlier. Maybe thats what he was trying to tell us about this whole time

Technically, junk mail IS a free gift. a worthless one, but free nonetheless

22. Ok, took your point. Seriously no way this could be family-friendly or even legal to sell or distribute outside the Army to highly trained expert personel: (they could just have included explosives or do-it-yourself surgery kits with original ntsc 7800 console)
  23. Sounds like a pretty big swing for such an old console, but at the same time, the Intellivision was known for making pretty big swings. B-17 Bomber, Utopia, Hover Force, Microsurgeon... yeah, Sid Meier's Pirates! would be right at home on that system, alongside those complex games. (You might want to pump the brakes on a Civilization 6 port, though.)
  24. Of course not my brother! T'Was just a joke! Besides you'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to offend me!... (But here's hoping you knew all that anyway
  25. How do I breakstep or oldschool dubstep with amen/think break ting, yo? What's the typical pattern? I'm sure I'll figure it out later. As of this post I've lost a night of sleep after drinking too much Cherry Pepsi. I apologize in advance for being short with you guys. ❤️

26. …Ok-ok-ok , I lost myself to the occasion of possibilities of infinite numbers hilarious takes…on the subject… I somehow felt there were a slight aspect, or hint, of such most-unspeakeable jest in your own well-considered first response to me, during our long 6 minute correspondence on this deep and existential subject-matter. If I indeed have deeply offended all, or even just some, herein; my sincere apologies, Yours always & perpetually self-revising, Giles
  1. Load more activity