All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I'm pretty close to ditching my UAV modded 7800 for this system. 7800's starting show it's age, and the 2600+ support from Ben and the various Devs here on the forum have made it a blast to dig into and test the crap out of games. I got too bored with the 7800 because SD carts made it too easy. I like buying and using real carts.
  3. That’s probably due to not reading the necessary and relevant information contained in a post I wrote here 41 minutes ago, about me not having read the necessary and relevsnt information contained in the manual about how to play the game. If you’re still embarrassed and all that… suit yourself, it’s your life.
  4. This was mentioned on the Fujinet Discord yesterday as well. @tschak909 wrote that only the DIP version is discontinued. Perhaps he will be summoned and elaborate here.
  5. Good. Very good. Stick with CRU >1200 for any instructions you prepare for the Geneve. The loader will need to be updated to support any CRU, as noted earlier, to use other CRU bases.
  6. I'm so embarrassed for you right now. 😌
  7. I put Delta on my iPhone yesterday. Really slick. The haptic feedback is a nice touch. Ran everything a threw at if wonderfully including some n64 stuff I’ve had trouble with on my retropie.
  8. Eggsavier gold! 201 points. Normal 86 Virus 115 You might want to put your console on a table and put one finger on either side of the d pad. Using a single thumb is too slow, it seems.
  9. I looked up the specs on the 10M02 chips and found that the I7 version (10M02SCM153I7G) is the industrial version (-40° to +100° C) with a maximum speed of 450 MHz, while the C8 version (10M02SCM153C8G) is the commercial version (0° to +85° C) with a maximum speed of 402.5 MHz. Does the C8 version meet requirements? The 10M02SCM153C8G is $8.07 for single piece or $6.46 for 25 pieces (with additional breaks for higher quantities). Pricing appears to be identical between DigiKey and Mouser. Edit: Oh, it was the 10M02SCM153C8G I suggested earlier, so never mind on that. Is ADC support at the FPGA required? The 10M02 doesn't have this.
  10. Heya @Muddyfunster! We had a blast playing through Bernie and the Tower of Doom on the stream tonight! Loved the sneak preview at the end. 🙂 Found a small visual bug on Tower 3-4 when falling off the block in the screencap below where Bernie temporarily disappears. Other than that, it plays perfectly, no issues or crashes! So much fun. - James
  11. This is all good feedback. That's probably because at some point (maybe one build back?) I pulled it from the Legends flashback which does not have the "two-layer" section setup and didn't fix up the "goto's". That and switching out the emulator globally can be done sometime soon. Maybe it's time to add some games. There are always more good ones!
  12. I was 4 or 5, I might have read it in the manual, but I also might have not...t'was so long ago now 🧙‍♂️
  13. Too bad can't get the original cartridge holder by itself. This bundle comes with a 4a console and bunch of games and joysticks. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/266740690282
  14. I thought Mario Kart GP DX was popular, just with different people. It is more for females and young boys, whereas Cruisin´ Blast is mainly for older boys and young men.
  15. Yeah, - that^ was what I considered had to be gameplay design flaw. Learned now, it’s all in the manual.
  16. Yep, I'd seen that as well. Star Castle is another great game which I play all the time. That game is HARD. The sounds in it are awesome though.
  17. Well, then I take back it’s design-flaw. Without having read the manual, I’d guess it’s s way to try make home-console games offer a deeper or more complex game-mechanic. I thought some Arcade of this had been around. I shuddered as I envisioned of confused and shocked Arcade gamers who spent hours with trial and error gaming, then spent years in a Asylum where they babbled nonsensically about insects, space, cannons and Qotiles … …but of course, being home-console game with a manual makes for utterly different situation, You have my sympathy, but I won’t lie to you: methinks I’d much prefer Battlezone and Smurf… SneakyBox saved the day for me, concerning this one.
  18. I recently restored a 386 pc from 1991 that I had in storage for decades. Its on the weak end as far as performance for mid 90s dos games are concerned. For instance, stuff like Doom and Descent run like slideshows. In fact, most 3D games run very poorly on it, which is not a huge surprise. Its specs really limit it to early 2D gaming for the most part, Commander Keen and Duke Nukem 1 and the like, and even some of those early 2d games have some slowdown here and there. As I'm testing things out on it I decided to try out Tempest 2000 dos version. Surprisingly, this game runs extremely well. It has some slowdown here and there as the action gets going, but its similar to the slowdown on the jaguar version and doesn't feel too obtrusive. Sure enough, I'm googling the system requirements on the box and it suggests the minimum system requirements are a 386dx40. I think the game is outstanding on the Jag, and its probably one of the best looking games that runs well on this old pc as well. I don't know if that means the game is actually not as taxing as its visuals would lead you to believe, or if both the Jag and the dos versions are coded very efficiently... but nonetheless, given the rudimentary stuff that this old pc runs, and its age (1991) its almost hilarious to see it running T2K so well. I heartily recommend getting a copy if you have any old PCs kicking around and are wondering what to do with them! Btw, I've tried out the dos port of Raiden as well. Graphics are on par with the jaguar version but it has some quite terrible aspects that make it way less fun to play. For instance, you may choose to play either sound effects or music, but not both simultaneously. Additionally, the game slingshots between being quite a bit faster than the arcade or jaguar version, and then slowing down substantially when many enemies are on the screen simultaneously. Slowdown is ok sometimes in shmups but the slingshotting between very fast to very slow to very fast again just makes it an absurd proposition to play the game. Imagine 10 fireballs coming towards you at faster than normal speed, and then one second later they are crawling toward you, and one second after that they are coming at you again faster than normal! It's not very fun to play this version of the game!
  19. I have 3 of the first run Pi Pico[W] Peripheral Expansion Box Side Port Device boards for sale 6.00 each plus shipping to anywhere in the US fisrt class mail, and I will ship outside the US for the extra postage it will cost. PM me if interested. These are blue in color as you can see on a couple of the pages of this thread. There is plenty of information on the resistor mod on this board to make it function with the SPI SRAM chip in this thread, page 6 I believe. I am going to do a modifcation to the second run board to accommodate SOP and USON Spi Sram as I have 10 USON ic's looking for a home someday.
  20. Well I needed a replacement VIC-II for one of my machines, and even though it was originally an NTSC NMOS chip, I opted to buy a couple of HMOS versions off of eBay after failing to succeed on AliExpress (order got cancelled by seller). I have an adapter to go from NMOS to HMOS, and generally prefer the HMOS for its lower power requirements and far less heat. So it took several weeks, but the chips finally arrived. However one had a sheared off ground pin. There was nothing sticking out to solder it back on to, so I contacted the buyer explaining the situation and asked if it was possible to get a replacement sent. They agreed. So although the broken chip is being replaced, I just couldn't stand the thought of not at least trying to repair it. So out came the dremel and I used that tool to both dig out a whole pin from a defective chip, and dug out the spot on the VIC-II chip where it would get attached. Since several of the other pins didn't feel very strong, I opted to solder the whole chip to a machine pin socket to act as a carrier. Then I popped it into my test computer and fired it up. It lives!!! 👍 So now having essentially gotten 3 chips for the price of two, the overall cost per chip wasn't half bad. BTW, the other eBay chip tested good as well.
  21. Today
  22. This system is great. Since it's release, and the use of the latest available dumper and experimental firmware, I can play all the games I love. I do have a few finicky carts, mostly Activision, but some of you who write helpful things on here have helped me, such as the person that suggested moving Juno First leftwards in the slot. Thank you. Despite owning all these roms and having the ability to play on a Miyoo Mini handheld for free, I STILL bought over a thousand dollars worth of carts to play on this system, including the very expensive aftermarket games Scramble, B*nq, Space Invaders 7800, Jr Pac Man 7800, Frenzy, Double Dragon, Asteroids Deluxe, Klax 7800, Ikari Warriors 7800 and all the good 2600 games I used to play, including a weird double header Sir Lancelot cart. Money was no object. I am not going to live forever and I wanted to have these experiences on a gigantic C1 OLED while I still can. For that I am profoundly grateful as I had a component modded light sixer but it wasn't a patch, a few issues aside, on the 2600+ experience. It also is a totally different experience playing using nice custom arcade style controllers from BDRetroMods on Etsy. Highly recommended, especially his controller for space invaders / demon attack style games. I'm still shocked everytime I load Imagic's Demon Attack at how crisp and beautiful the sprites, colors and fonts are. It could bring a tear to my eye. I've even played rarer games I never had in the 80s and wish I knew about like Gyruss, Time Pilot, and the amazing Beamrider. Hell, I even played and enjoyed Aardvark although I wanted to throw it across the room and then give it the ET treatment for personal reasons back in February. (don't worry, no carts were harmed). Yes, I agree paddle behavior isn't good on some games, and so have not been able to enjoy Super Breakout much, but it's not a make or break for me, and I never really got into Kaboom. Also, while Star Raiders is a classic and I would love to play with the gamepad, it and Star Master as a genre has not held up as much for me as time has passed and IMO Solaris far surpasses it. Nor is it a big deal not being able to play certain games that use methods that possibly won't ever work with the 2600+. (Champ Games, sorry, wish I would support you, but....). Pitfall II, alas, is a game I would enjoy, but I don't really like the Pitfall series as much as others, give me Montezuma's Revenge any day. Don't really understand WHY some people have such negative views when they can't play some games i don't think are worth a damn, but hey, horses for courses I guess. The only game I can't play at the moment is Stella's Stocking but I'm hopeful it will eventually be playable based on rumors I've read around here. I've heard the games on there are fun. Overall, it's an amazing system. Ben has been amazing, the developers working for him have been amazing, and I'm sad he said he might not be active for much longer and move on, but I'm glad we at least got this system despite it's limitations. It's a great system, it's quality, and he should be proud as should everyone involved in helping improve it.
  23. It's a stretch, but it kind of was in arcades. YR started off as a port of Cinematronics' Star Castle, but when HSW couldn't get that concept to work right on the 2600, he retooled it and gave us YR.
  24. To be fair, they mentioned that this was one of the two ways to get the Zorlon cannon in the original game's manual. I know most games have no manual anymore, but back in the day, you couldn't have a tutorial to explain things, so relied on the manual. I would say it's not a design flaw for two reasons: 1) What happens if a player just sprays and prays the shield away with their normal shot? How are they supposed to get the ZC? The shield doesn't regenerate, so some way was needed to accomplish this. 2) This becomes a high risk, high reward feature that builds the tension I grew up playing games like YR, and I think I just discovered this trick on accident. I didn't think "that's stupid!," it taught me to use strategy. If the shields were gone and I'd used, but missed, with the ZC, then I learned to wait for the Qotile to fire, hope it missed me, then immediately go and touch it to get the ZC. Otherwise, it's a tension building risk...will it kill me when I'm right there, or will it not. Still, it never fires immediately after it already has fired, so that's always your chance. As for this new take in the form of Yars' Rising, I'll wait to play it and see. I am glad they are looking to bring it back, but when I first watched the trailer, it seemed to me like they just had some other Metroidvania in development, Atari asked if they wanted to do a Yars game, then slapped that license on to it. I could be wrong. Still, from the trailer, I am disappointed that it doesn't appear to follow the original game's lore (from the manual and comic book) at all, but we'll see if their surprise somehow ties it all together.
  1. Load more activity