All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. There is one more thing to try: See if your program is blowing out of the available address space in its current segment. It may be the case that your song data is being allocated outside the address space that is visible to the CPU, and thus fails to read data correctly. If that were the case, you can add something like the following right before all your program data, which typically lies at the end of the program (i.e., outside the program execution flow). ASM ORG $C040 Let me know if this helps or not. -dZ.
  3. I saw gameplay of this game on YouTube. Reading that it was programmer Scott Smith’s first or early 2600 game had me interested in reverse engineering it. Is there an official PAL50 release of this game? I haven’t been able to find one. It was done in 1984 so I guess it’s possible one doesn’t exist.
  4. I don't think there is a "simple" way to do this without soldering and risk damaging the flex circuit if you're talking replacing the actual cord on the INTV II controller.. I assume that because the sears is straight and the 2609 is an attached controller. It can be done but not without surgery.
  5. There are also background applications, like TD Line, which run on interrupts. So e.g. under SDX this loads into the ext RAM (normal PORTB expansion, RAMBO or Compy). So, the "system" which knows about the expanded addressing saves PORTB, switches to a bank outside PORTB range, but then VBL kicks in. PORTB byte gets saved, banks get switched withing PORTB range, TD Line runs, then restores PORTB and returns from the interrupt. And everything crashes, because the interrupt is unable to restore the original extension state. You say that the state of the banks can be saved/restored, but how? Am I missing something?
  6. I tested with my 7800GD. Consider one Supercart sold!🙂
  7. Today
  8. The Simpsons NES games were good. At least from what I remember of them. I recently played through Vs the World, one of the better NES games Ive played. I think an Atari developer designed that game?
  9. Yes, that is a good point. Wow! That is amazing. I would be very interested in playing around with GoatTracker and your tool whenever we get all this sorted out. Hmm ... That is strange. Would you mind sharing your song file with me? You can send it in a PM if you'd like and I can troubleshoot it. The integration with IntyBASIC should be fairly straightforward, as described in the User's Guide (Appendix B): Include "bas-interface.bas" at the top of your program. Include your song file at the end of your program, with a handy IntyBASIC label preceding the song data so that you can reference it later from IntyBASIC. Call TRKINIT() during your program's initialization phase. Call TRKLOADSONG() with a pointer to your song data, to start song playback. Call TRKPLAY() on every tick to update the playback state of the tracker. The "bas-interface.bas" library should take care of everything, including RAM allocation and appropriate library module inclusions. A few things to check, just in case: Make sure you call TRKINIT() only once per program. Calling it again will stop playback and reset the tracker. Make sure you only call TRKLOADSONG() only once -- this loads the song and initializes the tracker for playback, so calling it again would just restart playback. Make sure you are not writing to any of the variables used internally by the tracker. These would be allocated as two arrays: TRK_BYTEVAR and #TRK_WORDVAR. Check that your song data has the correct number of pattern tracks that match the number of tracks configured (3 or 6). Check that all sub-pattern definitions used in a particular pattern match the length defined for that pattern. Make sure the data format generated matches the IMT format, as described in the documentation. (It may be easier to troubleshoot if your program generates IMT NOTES() macros rather than the raw data itself). I hope the above helps. If not, let me know. IMT has been used successfully in IntyBASIC programs in the past (and integration was as simple as described above), so it should certainly work. -dZ.
  10. I never thought of this. I might owe them. lol, That’s great! I understand what you are saying here. Absolutely right. I always liked this one. There is something about it, even to this day I still play it! My 2600 collection is all loose carts with the exception of Homebrews and a select few CIB. This one I thought the price was a good deal and good condition.
  11. Yep, he's a great guy, very approachable and he has made some very great Speccy games.
  12. Thanks for your feedback and I am happy that the carts are arriving that quickly... Attention: There's an easter egg hidden track hidden inside! Did you already manage to activate it? Hint: use the second controller and press.... some button... in order to unlock a further banging acid techno tune.
  13. I remember when i bought donkeykong junior for the atari xegs system but once i was shaking the cartride , i all the sudden did hear rattling inside that cartride, i was like ‘huh what the heck is that’ i was worrying that that was a broken screw inside it to potentially ruin the pcb board inside, but as it turns out after doing some research, atari used hot glue in favor over screws just to save some pennies, but still it does makes me wonder didn’t atari just used zip toies instead to make sure it will never wear out and make thing going lose inside just by designing the cartride and it’s pcb’s with zip ties in mind, also i always trought that the handle on those later ribbed xegs cartrides were intended to make them next to impossible to fit them inside an atari 400 or 800, take mariobros for xegs mariobros for example, not only is that game incompatible with with the atari 400 but it also fits much harder inside it because of that handle, is that a coincidence?? I don’t think so, but take for example donkeykong jr for example, that game is not only just compatible with the atari 400 but it also does not have that handle on it’s back, some do say that jack tramiel just removed that handle on several xegs cartrides just to produce them cheaper but i think theres more behind it. but about that hot glue in later atari xegs cartrides is something interesting, heres some interesting link about it, https://forums.atari.io/blogs/entry/520-why-do-atari-xegs-cartridges-rattle/#:~:text=If you want to know,is the rattle you hear.
  14. Oh that's great! He does some fantastic games on the Speccy and was gracious enough to let me port one of them to the 5200/A8.
  15. Today is a 50th day of the "100 commits" competition, so here is another update. Update 2024-04-19: v0.51 - "International" title screen - Indication of the difficulty level. When the cloud is over "A" letter on the title screen it means "Advanced", while "B" means "Beginner". In the "beginner" mode the net is yellow and in the "advanced" mode it is red I don't plan to make any significant changes and the game is close to be finished. When comes to the competition, now I'll focus on different elements/subprojects - labels for physical cartridges, manual, special SNES controller adapter and so on. When I started this project I didn't know that "batari Basic" exists. It turned out it is a perfect tool for creating my first game. I know it's simple, but it looks exactly like I imagined it before I started coding. So, big big thank you for all the batari Basic creators! If any moderator reads it: could you move this topic to the "batari Basic" subforum?
  16. I posted an updated load-scs or load-ide about a month ago after I discovered boot tracking was off.it was one of the two, not both. You should use cya and remap Scs1 and set AUTOEXEC to boot from scs1 as another option
  17. Haha, I got one of those old-school Dymo label makers for Christmas as a kid and got a little carried away. I think my parents quickly regretted that purchase! I get what you mean re: history...it is kind of a cool feeling. Quite a few of my 2600 carts were "personalized" by their previous owners.
  18. Odd. I'm certain I had it working. I also had another Logitech keyboard that worked fine, but I replaced it with a new mechanical keyboard that is also wireless and that works fine too.
  19. Whoa whoa, low blow, low blow! At least the Simpsons game was playable and there was actual hit detection. It just mainly suffered from the incomprehensible, no-good, awfully horrible first level.
  20. Is that Dave Hughes of ZX Spectrum fame or one of the other (lesser) Dave Hughes?
  21. Thanks for the suggestion, I have a couple of ideas to try out.
  22. And finally the port is complete and it runs really fine. Current version is V1 Beta, I will not add anything more for the moment but fixing bugs if I found any. The game misses the possibility to add new hiscores, this could be an easy addon taking the code from other games of mine but I don't want to see a full working digital rom shared on warez sites 😉. I'm not going to release the game now, I will only share it with some friends of mine that will help me to test it and with James of @ZeroPage Homebrew, just in case he wants to play the game again on his twitch channel. I kindly ask who will receive this game to not share with anyone else the rom.the game. As a precaution I added a disclaimer in the title screen, it should be enough While waiting for the possibility to acquire a license from Epyx I'll work on an alternate layout of the game that could allow me to release or sell the game without copyright problems. If I will get an official license the new graphic could be added as an alternate version of the game. This is a quick mockup of how the new gfx could look:
  23. No. So that it's accessible to as many people as possible, I'm sticking to a regular cart format. In this case a 128K supercart with 16K RAM as used by Epyx in their Summer Games and Winter Games. Not that I've extensively tested it, but it seems to run OK under ProSystem. It also seems to run well on Concerto, just some minor glitching on the title screen.
  24. @DZ-Jay I think I will post my upcoming questions about IMT in this thread, since the other thread was mainly about an "editor" for the IMT format. I am now able to convert Goat Tracker files to IMT file description. It works quite well in my test program, where I just load and play a song. However, when putting the routines into my game (I use IntyBASIC), only the very first note is triggered and the tracker does not continue, even though I CALL TRKPLAY in every frame. Does the tracker require the music to be in a specific region in memory? At the moment, all my data (cards, sprites, level, IMT music) starts at $E000 since otherwise I dont have enough memory for my code.
  1. Load more activity