All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. All the 44256 chips I've seen need 512 refresh cycles (9 bits). They won't work without extra circuitry to generate the extra bit. Good luck finding 256Kx4 chips with 256 refresh cycles.
  3. Atari has not been sending me emails for my recent purchases. Did they stop doing this, or did something in my setting get messed up? The emails were the only way I knew how to see order numbers.
  4. Already exists in your 1088XEL and 1088XLD
  5. Atari had applied for trademarks for both Warbirds and Tank, so I think it is safe to assume Tank was bought back by Atari. No confirmation for Robo-Squash, but I would guess it too was part of the acquisition and Atari did not feel a need to apply for a trademark for it.
  6. Game has been pretty good so far. Graphics are amazing, and the fights are actually quite good. There seems to be stories within stories, and I've found that I've had to temper what I do for fear that I'll upset one of the party members over the other. What one party member might approve of, is not always something everyone approves of. As a Paladin (Good), I am also more or less obligated to make certain decisions that may upset other party members. There seems to be a lot of discussion of slavery in the game, so as a Paladin I generally need to disadvantage these people and / or attack them outright. There are dozens of potential "party members" as I cheated and looked up more or less a list of them. They can all be convinced to join your party at one point or another. You can include them or leave them in your "camp" which I find interesting. As of this point, I don't have any stragglers... meaning that I've flat-out rejected anyone except the people immediately in my party. There can only be 4 total people, and I've taken the vampire thief, the cleric lady, the wizard, and myself (who is a Paladin). Another thing I noticed... not to offend anyone, but apparently every single male character is gay (if you're playing a male character I guess). Like... apparently you can romance them (from the IGN page that shows the character list). Alternately, there are only 2 female characters that you could potentially do this with, but like 9 male characters. I mean... I guess this is just what it is with WOTC today, but I found it odd. I'm not going down that path, but I'm having to constantly say things that are "less than nice" because some of the phrases are interpreted as encouraging a "relationship" with these male characters. I'm not aware of any positives to having a relationship with someone in the game other than the story building, but I have noticed that it affects your character's performance when someone with a very high "emotion" toward you is gravely injured. It causes a disability roll if you will against you for future attacks (probably not the best way to word it). Either way, the game has been pretty cool, and I hate myself for getting into it. I'm shooting through it quickly, but there's a lot of smaller quests and such that an individual could follow along. A lot of hidden things too which I find myself skipping over (but hope to go back to). It really feels like a "find your fate" kind of book, because there's so many possible solutions to a variety of different things. Really... it's probably the closest thing I've seen to one of the original games, Pool of Radiance (SSI Gold Box), where you just have a wildly open world, and you can basically do whatever the heck you want. Most of the other games in between all seem to focus on getting from point A to point B while not having a lot of diversion. So this has been really cool.
  7. That's not the issue - the issue is that 1 and 2 player select and difficulty inputs are not working on gorf (* and # buttons)... they do on other games.. including Missile Command etc.
  8. After a quick joystick service... 12,285 then 76,070 Many happy times playing this one with my siblings
  9. All we know is that it was over a dozen games, and that Astroblast, Frogs and Flies, Armor Ambush, Space Attack, and Star Strike were included. If it had been exactly 12 games, I think we could have surmised it was the exact same 12 games that were in Atari Vault. Since it was over 12 games, we have no real good idea what they are exactly. I would be willing to bet money that International Soccer, Super Challenge Baseball, and Super Challenge Football were included.
  10. Hi all, loved the Atari Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide and I think this would be a great update. If you need any Bubsy input, or input on other games, let me know.
  11. Ah, gothcha. So a quick search yields this. I could get two of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152329198663?
  12. Considering I play Indy(homebrew) games about 80-90% of the time, this would be cool to read about.
  13. Maybe uses something like the 'move' command given in this example: #NotAFanOfPeekPokeOutsideOfBasic (but I get it)
  14. Well, he paid money for the game and the system, he probably has the right to say his opinion then?
  15. Define 'dead', won't spinup or just Atari can't see it? I had 2 'dead' megafiles, one was saved by low-level formatting, the other was left on for an hour then it came to life (both obviously could spin). Adrians digital basement (he has two channels) on youtube has loads of videos of bring back MFM drives from the dead well worth a look before you chuck them away.
  16. (Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.) Because they weren't thinking about collectors 40 years in the future? 🤷‍♂️ The thought must have been that the box/packaging would suffice in telling consumers which version to buy for their system. I guess I don't know what else to suggest, other than to educate yourself. The differences are on the subtle side, but easily recognizable when you're familiar: Atari 2600 - Silver-ish label Atari 5200 - Blue-ish label; cart is more square-shaped than rectangular Intellivision - Narrow/elongated dimensions; squared/rectangular gold label (vs. usual trapezoid cut); end of cart is angled sharply Coleco - Gold-ish label; cart sides are angled along entire edge (vs. only halfway); trapezoidal profile; back of cart has a bracketed relief for storing controller overlays Atari 400/800 - End of cart is flat (vs. angled); cutaway on front bottom edge of cart shell; gold-ish label Commodore 64 - End of cart is angled; no cutaway; label only extends about halfway down the face of the cart; Silver-gray label Commodore VIC-20 - Very wide dimensions; gold label; title on end label is left-justified (vs. centered) TI-99/4a - Wide dimension; shallow teal label with title only; blocky protrusion around sides and face of cartridge; no title on end label; easily distinct from every other Parker Bros. cart Odyssey 2 (Brazil, Europe) - If you can't tell it's an Odyssey/Videopac game, that's on you 😜 Full disclosure: early in my collecting days, I made the rookie mistake of buying a Parker Bros. cartridge (Star Wars: The Arcade Game) for my Atari 2600, becoming very confused about why it wouldn't fit in my system, and later figuring out that it was the Coleco version. 🙃
  17. It looks like you have 2 mods, one to patch the blitter plus one controlled by a switch it appears. The switch based one seems to deal with a 16mhz clock from/to shifter (pink wire). Grey wire looks like ground, not sure if red is VCC, and unclear where should yellow go (not obvious to me that yellow and pink should connect, the led+resistor connection should turn on/off with the switch likely to indicate the mod is on/off).
  18. Something new on the Saturn Homebrew front: Granted, these are all experiments, but they do show some potential.
  19. PS As Oscar says in the post at his link, if you stay with only two offsets (steps of 4 pixels), you can keep the two tilesets in place, (one in 0-127, the other in 128-255), and just update the PNT. With two tilesets you need only two maps from where to copy the PNT using the SCREEN command during VBLANK.
  20. Today
  21. Could be their cartridges were designed to share common labels and lower printing costs? BITD it may have seemed that putting the system on the box was enough and they didn't have the foresight to know that an online, secondary market selling loose carts will spring up some day.
  22. He was just waiting for Atari. 💁🏻 Where we all should start. 🤟🏻
  23. Electric Night by Dune:

Power of Vintage on the Atari Falcon 030:

_ demo by Escape:

Enjoy!

24. Idunno. I feel that way about some consoles (although RF has been making a comeback lately in the retro circles), but I always liked Atari better with RF. A lot of the graphics are just wide, flat, one-colored pixels, and I like how the RF noise adds texture to it. Like, the Atari Flashback 2.0 is great, but it just looks so flat. I'm talking CRTs, though. I'm sure RF looks a lot worse if you're plugging it into things it should not be plugged into.
  25. Are you talking about Joueur Du Grenier - YouTube? Maybe there is another French guy making "remember these games" videos? I love that channel, and I've been following for years. He talks about all sorts of games on there. IMO, he's a bit funnier than AVGN.
  26. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I bought it for the VCS 800 of course. I have to say, it is still early, but I like it so far. I try not to use the Stabilizer, but it makes it so much easier.
  27. Smooth horizontal scrolling needs a little bit of work offline, using your own tools, to precompute tiles and maps. There is no HW support, so all the magic comes from your software and data. CV basic starts in "bitmap" mode (graphic 2 mode). Here the "general" solution is to precompute the tiles in all the in the intermediate positions and store them in ROM (say 4 positions if you move 2 pixels at time). At each step, you need to load the shifted definitions in VRAM on a set of hidden tiles (say e.g. 0-127), while showing on the screen tiles 128-255. When done, during VBLANK, you have to update the PNT by showing the tiles you have updated (0-127). Then you start loading the new tile definitions on the other tiles you do not display (128-255). Note that you need 4 set of tiles (up to 128), one for each "step", and 4 maps from where you need to copy the PNT on the screen, one for each step, corresponding to a given set of tiles. If your level is, say 128x24, you should store in rom 4 times, one for each phase of the scrolling. Naturally there are strategies to compact these data in one single map of "metatiles", but with CV basic the easiest thing is to deal with 4 level maps. If you try Magellan (available on this site, currently maintained by Rasmus Moustgaard) it should able to produce the data needed for smooth scrolling, but IIRC only in ASM and for TI99/A Actually, if you use screen 1 (graphic1 mode) instead of the "bitmap" mode (graphic2 mode), you have room in VRAM to store 4 (or more) complete tilesets that can be commuted by accessing to VDP(4). In this way your "only" task is to update the PNT during VBLANK. The side effect is that you can choose only two colors (foreground and background) each 8 tiles. So you can have a very light code but low color details.
  1. Load more activity