All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. You can always try the 5200 on PCUAE, its uses the Atari 800 Emulator 4.2.0 so you can use its menu(F1) to customise it how you want it, all you need is PCUAE Main installer setup and Atari Mode installer setup, you install it in parts so only need the parts you want it use, you do not need to download all of it.
  3. Loved asteroids+ missile command. I only mildly knock asteroids for the lack of screen real estate, making the rocks rather large to start out. Totally agree its still great though. Chips challenge is dependant on if you like that specific type of puzzle or not. Its pretty spot on the pc version though, which I loved. Never played checkered flag (or even knew it) is it 3d like jaguar, or more 2d pole position style?
  4. Got it. The trade off here then is having to run the SETLTYPE utility after each compilation to change the program type to M_9900. The trick about overflow is neat! We should really move that conversation to the Pascal thread. Perhaps @OLD CS1 can do that?
  5. @OrangeKryptonite I appreciate your feedback and input! I have been away for a week visiting the in-laws in FL. I don't have AtariAge hooked to my phone or anything, so I was basically "off-grid" haha. In the meantime, I got a PM that one Nexus user who is having trouble exiting Pico-8 on the Flashback 9. It's hard for me to believe it does not work - should be the menu button to exit? I have a vague memory maybe some things like that are finicky on the flashback 9? I have mine stashed again and will dig it out, but just wondering if anyone out there would confirm or deny? Also, I got more feedback on the media/movies. A suggestion was to make a separate download with that "expanded" section. One of my concerns is that the content might get a bit more attention and put the other downloads at risk. Like when the downloads were "disappeared" off AtariAge, that was a big bummer after putting so much work into it. This represents a lot of hours of effort from many individuals in these builds. I hate to risk it for something that a lot of people would not use vs. the games. However, I noticed a bunch of cool old 80's Atari commercials I will add from the "Atari Museum" aspect of the device. Anyway, I'm planning to take a look at the player to see if there's anything I can do in terms of improving the experience and also add those commercials. On the longer movies - I do have the old movie content but I don't think I have it in the final form. I can put it back into a section pretty quickly though. I will probably make a download available but like Brigadoon, the version with the films may only appear temporarily on very special occasions. Stay tuned. 🙂
  6. Today
  7. Hi @Dave C, I noticed that for some reason the 2600 compiled version is considerably faster than the original in Furnace Tracker. tia_BoogieWoogie.fur tia_BoogieWoogie.mp3 The version compiled and run under Stella har weird speed. strangeSpeed.mp3 Could it be that if different channels have notes at different times the tune speeds up?
  8. Beautiful game - thank you for sharing it! Just time for the first.
  9. So below my mileage when it comes to trying to synthesize the PokeyMax cores from the repository. I am fully aware of the fact that this is all work in progress, that the repo might be in a transitional state, and that so far the whole project was used mostly by the developer only. I installed Quartus Lite version 23.1std (basic package, Max 10 device support, and also the standalone programmer to be safe, but this last one seems to be included in the basic install, probably was not necessary). The OS is Ubuntu 64bit, and I I think I did set all the Quartus paths correctly and sufficiently (but not 100% sure), at least none of the Quartus tools seem to fail to execute. Warning to others - this thing, even in this cut-down Lite version, is huuuuuge! Working just on the PokeyMax in the directory that you indicated (atari_chips/pokeyv2), SVN revision 1397. First, it seems the build script does not take care to (g)cc some of the helper programs, so I built them by hand (init.c, sidwavedata.c, swapbits.c, could not compile sidcfg.c due to missing conio.h, did not investigate further) after first unsuccessful attempts to build the v4 core. I am not sure which of these are needed, but I can only presume that you built them by hand once in your working directory and things work for you since then. I can build the v3 cores (I tried 10M04_quad_auto_v3, 10M16_fullv3, and the last one pulled in 10M16_fullv3_xel too it seems), they did build and I got the files I think should be there (most notably core.bin, pokeymax.pof). But to be honest, the build script messages give little confidence in that it all went the way it was supposed to. There is a lot of messages about missing files, in particular towards the end it says that UFM0.bin and UFM1.bin are missing, really not sure if they should be there or not. For a test I also tried v1_10M02_stereo_auto that failed at the synthesis level, but we probably do need to dwell on this here, the important one is v4... which also failed to synthesize. The crucial error messages from the log are these: Error (12006): Node instance "\adc_on:lvds_tx0" instantiates undefined entity "lvds_tx". Ensure that required library paths are specified correctly, define the specified entity, or change the instantiation. If this entity represents Intel FPGA or third-party IP, generate the synthesis files for the IP. File: /home/woj/repos/atari_800xl/atari_chips/pokeyv2/build_10M08_fullv4_stereo/pokeymax.vhd Line: 1986 Error (12006): Node instance "\adc_on:lvds_rx0" instantiates undefined entity "lvds_rx". Ensure that required library paths are specified correctly, define the specified entity, or change the instantiation. If this entity represents Intel FPGA or third-party IP, generate the synthesis files for the IP. File: /home/woj/repos/atari_800xl/atari_chips/pokeyv2/build_10M08_fullv4_stereo/pokeymax.vhd Line: 1993 Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script /home/woj/intelFPGA_lite/23.1std/quartus/common/tcl/internal/qsh_flow.tcl unsuccessful I have zero experience with this, but the last one might as well be the result of the first two, don't know. From your messages above, the first two seem like something you have been working on recently. In any case, no usable files are created in the process, in particular there is no POF file created. All in all it seems I am not far from getting there, but I am currently stuck.
  10. I think most DS users are right-handed (including me) - if only because most people are right-handed I think you prefer the directional on your dominant hand - there were some players back in the early days of the arcade that would cross their hands so their right hand would control the joystick. Most arcade control panels were designed with the joystick to the left and buttons to the right (see Galaxian, 1979, below for a fairly typical layout) and a few games were kind enough to give buttons on either side of the joystick for player preference. Nintendo and Sega who owned the markets from 1985 onwards settled on the d-pad to the right and buttons to the left which is how the DS is laid out. Directions to the right is not for everybody, though it's been the trend for 40 years after the first generation of consoles. I think we all have a natural preference for which hands controls the directions. Interestingly enough, with a Colecovision, I do cradle the controller in my left hand and use my right for directions (mostly because that was the picture in the manual) - though I have become accustomed to using the NES, SNES and Genesis gamepads over the years. I guess I'm a switch-hitter :D
  11. Agreed! I was more making a bit of a joke since this new game has almost nothing to do with Yars! Revenge and some discussion above was about how far you could stray from the original and still use the name. This is definitely stretching it! 😀
  12. I was up late but I managed to come up with a formula for determining how much I need to sell a game for on eBay to walk away, breaking even, adjusted for inflation. I kept track of a lot of the games prices of what I originally paid for. Many of them I will have to just ballpark it. I'll come out either ahead or break even on a good chunk of my games, and lose my shirt on a handful of them. it's sad but unfortunately, life happens and bills need to get paid. I haven't touched a video game in months, it's just money sitting around collecting dust at this point. gonna take a long time to go through all of it

13. It's a Metroid-like game so I kinda doubt it, but who knows.
  14. Especially the "designed by Steve Wozniak", which is wrong according to Wozniak himself (and I guess he would know).
  15. I have Flashback wired joysticks for my FB 2, FB 9 (with Nexus), and FB 12 Gold. I've always thought the joysticks were great, but had no point of comparison (except memory) since I don't have any classic CX40's from an O.G. 2600. The Atari.com store recently had the newer CX40+ joysticks in stock so I grabbed one. These are the same joysticks that come with the 2600+. The CX40+ is a great joystick too, but the Flashback joysticks are pretty similar. I think I was expecting a drastic difference between the FB joysticks and the CX40+, but except that the CX40+ is slightly larger, they feel and play pretty much the same. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I recently picked up this DB9 to USB adapter (link below) for about 20 bucks on Amazon, so I can use my Flashback and CX40+ joysticks on my mini-PC. It works flawlessly and I personally find it so much better to use an Atari joystick for Atari games than a modern controller. Well worth the $22. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089LSHW4T
  16. Also it's important to remember that the EXP, like the OG Evercade and the NeoGeo Mini, uses mini-HDMI which makes it difficult to connect to a TV unless you happen to own such an uncommon cable these days. I personally prefer handhelds so like I said, I never cared for it, and I assume that most of the gamers that enjoy playing on the TV bought a VS anyway. Moreover, the (arcade) Capcom games are also included in the Capcom Arcade Stadium compilations available almost everywhere. I like the idea of playing Mercs in TATE mode, though, but I wish the EXP had better battery. I don't think I'll get the EXP-R however, since I tend to play Evercade games on the Super Pocket anyway.
  17. Yes, thank you sir, I've tested this one, and the shared object version is perfect! It matches exactly the design with FreeIntv settings for RA, thank you so much! At least for the ".so" file (as I cannot test the others in the zip with my current hardware available), this would be ideal to replace for your page 1 entry, as it should more precisely match your original intention.
  18. Sparta DOS, SDX, MyDOS, DOS XE, OSS A+, DOS XL, DOS 2.5, LITE DOS, xBIOS, DOS 4 (Antic), DOS 4.x we use them all, but the first half or so on the list is used most by the world. I could have kept going because we use them all for the most part. Each has their uses.
  1. Load more activity