IGNORED

Jakks Pacific Namco Ms Pac-Man Super Gamekey Combo

TrekkiELO

Well, I was dorking around in Wal-Mart, hoping to find some discount games, and I saw where they had reduced the Ms. Pac-Man Game Key Combo pac to $16.02 (from $20). I am including some pics for the sake of anyone who is interested, but before that, some of the problematic gameplay in earlier versions has been fixed, and in general it seems to be a decent product (too bad this is the umpteenth version however). As others have pointed out, the key makes this a cartridge based system particularly since once a key is inserted the controller only sees those games, not the ones built in to the controller itself. It saves high scores for game, either in the unit for those or in the keys for the games there.

Note the badge on the front. This doesn't light up. Another view of the badge and the promotion of the "twist control" for Pole Position (IMHO, stressed because in the 1st version of this controller, it was very unclear to the fact that you had to twist the controller to steer, and Jakks had a boatload of returns and complaints).

post-5874-1133902280_thumb.jpg

post-5874-1133902300_thumb.jpg

Two shots of the back, one showing the port, and the other the full back, once again touting the "twist control". Note the "NM" on the key icon. Will a Capcom key (if any are released) work on a NAMCO controller? It bloody well better!

post-5874-1133902490_thumb.jpg

post-5874-1133902502_thumb.jpg

Two shots of the keys, front and back. The games are listed on the reverse. So far it is unclear if the color coding of the keys means anything other than they are different from one another. Perhaps associating, say, genre of game with color of key is too much to ask.

post-5874-1133902589_thumb.jpg

post-5874-1133902602_thumb.jpg

Okay, finally a neat feature: the key glows (well, the badge in the top) when the unit is powered up. This was taken with the lights off for added effect.

post-5874-1133902672_thumb.jpg

So, if you never bought a Jakks NAMCO stick, I would recommend this one, but make sure you find it on sale at a decent price. Judging from the massive stack in my local Wal-Mart, there will probably be more price reductions to come. If you already have a NAMCO stick, you'd probably be better off waiting to see what Jakks gets around to releasing before picking this one up (CAPCOM? Midway? Jakks? Hello?!?).

Unless they've resolved the control problem with Ms PacMan and the scoring in Pole Position, I'm not interested..but if these cool keys allow you to play newer old school games in the future, I might change my mind.

961994[/snapback]

:? I got one of the original sticks for my son last year. I haven't noticed any serious control problems. (Other than the poor design of the joystick itself.)

I can't speak to the scoring on Pole Position other than to say that it's a lot of fun competing for the high score with extended family members. Unless there's some way to outright cheat, I don't think it's that big of a deal for most consumers.

...well, the originals up to the remote control version had problems with control on Ms PacMan....this wasnt a function of the controller, but shoddy programming as EVERY unit (and I had 4 returns) displayed this problem...your son might be too young to notice that sometimes you press down yet Ms Pac turns around or does something else unexpected. The control on the other games worked fine.

The thing about Pole Position is the control on the original is AWESOME...but the game isnt that challenging...the cars don't try to ram from behind, nor do they change lanes. Tack on the fact that you can't record or even see what your fastest time is due to that bug (which was fixed with the remote version but the spin controller isnt' nearly as accurate!...man, Jakks is terrible)...you get a game that you can MAX your score after playing it a few times and you have NO desire to play it again, at least for competitive reasons.

I'll wait till these games key games go real cheap...I wonder if Pole Position got fixed and AI improved.

Addressing some earlier questions: yes, you can pause on the Ms. Pac-Man TV Game. As someone said earlier, pressing the Menu button pauses the game and gives you the option of continuing or going to the main menu screen.

Regarding the GameKeys, no, the Capcom keys would not work on the Namco units. The keys have a two-letter code associated with them, as do the controllers, and they have to match (e.g., all the Nickelodeon units, like the Spongebob and Nicktoons ones, can play the NK GameKeys, but nothing else, and nothing else can play the NK keys). This might be just due to licensing requirements. I have no idea if the keys' colors mean anything, but I suspect the answer is no.

A while back, I e-mailed Jakks Pacific directly to ask when the Capcom one was coming out, since I was really looking forward to 1942. They told me spring of next year. Also, Amazon.com has it listed for March 2006. I don't know if it will actually release, though, considering the downturn in plug-and-play popularity. Moreover, Jakks' quarterly conference calls said that "hardcore" titles, such as the Mortal Kombat and EA Sports models, did not sell well (in spite of very positive reviews around the Web), so they won't make any more such titles. I don't know if that would include the Capcom games or not.

onmode-ky

So are you guys saying any Jakks stick we bought this year that said "GameKey sold seperately" is a piece of junk because there aren't going to be any GameKeys sold seperately, and they only work for the sticks they are packed with? I've been writing about this in the Gaming forums for two months waiting for the stupid GameKey to be "sold seperately" and now it sounds like it's all a big rip-off.

No, that was not what I meant. They will be selling separate GameKeys, but each GameKey will only work with one type of TV Game controller. The GameKeys thus far have primarily come packaged along with certain GameKey-compatible controllers, but this is just the launch phase. Actually, I have already seen one instance of separately sold GameKeys: at Target, there was a $10 2-key pack of NK (Nickelodeon) GameKeys being sold, which would work on separately purchased NK controllers, like the Spongebob Squarepants, Dora the Explorer, and NickToons controllers. Think of it this way: so far, we've been seeing keys bundled with controllers, like Combat packed in with a 2600; later, we should see more keys, but just as 2600 games were intended to only work in a 2600, keys of two-letter code XY will only work for controllers with code XY.

I should add that more GameKeys will be sold only if the plug-and-play market doesn't completely collapse in the coming months. Retailers have been reporting much lower sales in the category recently; you may have noticed the sharp markdowns on certain products as stores try to clear out overstock. Even if the market doesn't completely fizzle out, it will not continue in the same form as it used to be. The target has shifted from retro gaming to kids' gaming now. Jakks Pacific has licenses as yet unused for Tecmo, Capcom, and SNK/Playmore, but given their report that "hardcore gamer titles" like Mortal Kombat sold badly, I wonder if those licenses will just sit idly until they expire (however, I do note that the Tecmo TV Game was supposed to be out before the end of the year, at last report, and also according to Amazon.com).

onmode-ky

Kids are the natural targets for some of these types of games. Jakks and their ilk have made their own bed with the 'hardcore' fans by making cheapo stuff. Hardcore guys are willing to pay the dollars, just make something worth owning. They're trying to get stinking rich off of a demographic that doesn't appreciate ripoff marketing techiniques (ie gamekeys sold at a price that you could buy and sell and entire mini console) and shoddy controllers. I could care less if the plug n play market falls through the floor.

PS, why bother with a Capcom plugnplay?...buy the PS2 Capcom Collection and drown your 80's desires in a fantastic collection.

Other than FB2, most of this stuff ain't worth buying....I found out the 'hard' way.

Kids are the natural targets for some of these types of games.  Jakks and their ilk have made their own bed with the 'hardcore' fans by making cheapo stuff.  Hardcore guys are willing to pay the dollars, just make something worth owning.  They're trying to get stinking rich off of a demographic that doesn't appreciate ripoff marketing techiniques (ie gamekeys sold at a price that you could buy and sell and entire mini console) and shoddy controllers.  I could care less if the plug n play market falls through the floor.

PS, why bother with a Capcom plugnplay?...buy the PS2 Capcom Collection and drown your 80's desires in a fantastic collection.

Other than FB2, most of this stuff ain't worth buying....I found out the 'hard' way.

984411[/snapback]

I dunno - they aren't quite arcade exact, which I agree sucks, but I've got a few of the Jakks arcade ports, and they're pretty close, and fun. And the controllers I've used aren't shoddy at all - they are a lot closer to playing the arcade games than a PS2 controller would be. And Gamekeys sold at a price you could buy and sell an entire miniconsole? Where can you buy these "mini consoles" for $10? I want in on that action!

Actually, at my Wal-Mart last week, they had a small stack of Pac-Man/Rally X gamekeys being clearanced for 5 bucks. Maybe they were returns, I didn't pay any attention to their packaging. I hadn't even heard of the Gamekey concept, nor did they have any Gamekey-compatible PnP's in stock, just the same old wired and wireless Ms. Pac ones.

Hi there!

Moreover, Jakks' quarterly conference calls said that "hardcore" titles, such as the Mortal Kombat and EA Sports models, did not sell well (in spite of very positive reviews around the Web), so they won't make any more such titles.

Which is a good thing I think. With only 1 or 2 games on those sticks, I'm not at all interested in buying them either. That's just not enough value for money.

I hope they rather release the Midway and Capcom sticks soon :)

Greetings,

Manuel

The one thing that bugged me about the Ms. Pacman I have (which I assume is the first version) is that you can't select "fast" mode.  For me, Ms. Pacman is only worth playing when you can zip around the levels faster than the ghosts.  Otherwise, it gets boring quick.  Do the newer versions allow you to do that?

986473[/snapback]

...those bastards include a FAST version on the newer sticks??!?....damn them!...lol.

Maybe I'll be tempted to buy the new game key plug in version, just to see. I can always return it I suppose...and if the scoring and control glitches are worked out then perhaps I'll come around.

By the way, I saw the Capcom stick FINALLY...it's got Ghosts n Goblins, 1942, Commando and a game key for Mega Man. Looks cool, 3 button stick...

...but I've already got the Capcom Collection on my PS2 that I paid less money for. But you never know I might pick one up for collectability!...it does look pretty cool.

Anybody pick one up yet?..I saw it at Future Shop.

Hi there!

By the way, I saw the Capcom stick FINALLY...it's got Ghosts n Goblins, 1942, Commando and a game key for Mega Man.  Looks cool, 3 button stick...

You're sure about the games? Only three built-in and and one on an extra key?!?

Originally it was announced to include five games: 1942, Ghosts 'N Goblins, Mega Man, Gun Smoke and Side Arms.

Greetings,

Manuel

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect and old topic, but I figured it worked better than starting a whole new topic.

Regarding the GameKeys, no, the Capcom keys would not work on the Namco units.  The keys have a two-letter code associated with them, as do the controllers, and they have to match (e.g., all the Nickelodeon units, like the Spongebob and Nicktoons ones, can play the NK GameKeys, but nothing else, and nothing else can play the NK keys).  This might be just due to licensing requirements.  I have no idea if the keys' colors mean anything, but I suspect the answer is no.

I know that this is what Jakks says, but has anyone confirmed it? Some of the Jakks systems use different hardware, so I'm sure those GameKeys wouldn't be inter-compatible, but a lot of the systems have the same architecture, so Jakks would have had to do something specific to keep those from working. Of course, they might well have, but I wouldn't just take Jakks' word for it. If the're really not compatible, it might also just be some physical barrier like the shapes of the vafrious keys and slots that could be easily rectified. Anyone have any experiences?

Also, speaking of enjoyable plug&play systems, I would have to add the Space Invaders system from Radica. The games aren't accurate at all--in fact, I'm pretty sure that the system is NES-based--but they're still pretty fun and it's a great collection. It's also a really well made stick, much better than any of Jakks' joysticks.

...word is bondage...

Something I found odd, was at one of my local WalMarts(we actually have 2)...is that the Ms. Pac-Man with the gamekeys, was ORIGINALLY $19.97...now it's on CLEARANCE for $20.

1011068[/snapback]

A few weeks ago I saw several of the wireless Ms. Pacmans being clearanced at a local Target for $9.99 a piece. I was extremely tempted to purchase their stock and resell them on EBay. :)

I know that this is what Jakks says, but has anyone confirmed it?  Some of the Jakks systems use different hardware, so I'm sure those GameKeys wouldn't be inter-compatible, but a lot of the systems have the same architecture, so Jakks would have had to do something specific to keep those from working.  Of course, they might well have, but I wouldn't just take Jakks' word for it.  If the're really not compatible, it might also just be some physical barrier like the shapes of the vafrious keys and slots that could be easily rectified.  Anyone have any experiences?

Having worked on a GameKey, I can verify that the keys have code to keep them from running on incorrect base hardware. No playing Star Wars on your Spongebob controller :)

Well, I was dorking around in Wal-Mart, hoping to find some discount games, and I saw where they had reduced the Ms. Pac-Man Game Key Combo pac to $16.02 (from $20). 

So, if you never bought a Jakks NAMCO stick, I would recommend this one, but make sure you find it on sale at a decent price.  Judging from the massive stack in my local Wal-Mart, there will probably be more price reductions to come.  If you already have a NAMCO stick, you'd probably be better off waiting to see what Jakks gets around to releasing before picking this one up (CAPCOM?  Midway?  Jakks?  Hello?!?).

977583[/snapback]

Just picked it up at WalMart......Apparently they realized their screwup in the initial "clearance" price(around here, it was clearanced for $20....originally $19.97..hmmmm).

I found it for $7. Now THAT is a good price for this unit. I just put the batteries in it, but haven't played it yet. To me, $7 for 10 games(even if I do already have a few of them) is still a deal in my book. I've been waiting for this one to drop in price, and my wife told me that if I buy another PnP game...that I can expect it to be inserted somewhere I don't want it inserted. :?

Oh, not to hijack the thread, but can anyone fill me in on that "Space Invaders" PnP I read about around here somewhere? I kinda put that one on my birthday list(next week)...I'm hoping that doesn't count. What games are on it, and does it have any sharp edges that might hurt when I pull it back out?

Well, I was dorking around in Wal-Mart, hoping to find some discount games, and I saw where they had reduced the Ms. Pac-Man Game Key Combo pac to $16.02 (from $20). 

So, if you never bought a Jakks NAMCO stick, I would recommend this one, but make sure you find it on sale at a decent price.  Judging from the massive stack in my local Wal-Mart, there will probably be more price reductions to come.  If you already have a NAMCO stick, you'd probably be better off waiting to see what Jakks gets around to releasing before picking this one up (CAPCOM?  Midway?  Jakks?  Hello?!?).

977583[/snapback]

Just picked it up at WalMart......Apparently they realized their screwup in the initial "clearance" price(around here, it was clearanced for $20....originally $19.97..hmmmm).

I found it for $7. Now THAT is a good price for this unit. I just put the batteries in it, but haven't played it yet. To me, $7 for 10 games(even if I do already have a few of them) is still a deal in my book. I've been waiting for this one to drop in price, and my wife told me that if I buy another PnP game...that I can expect it to be inserted somewhere I don't want it inserted. :?

Oh, not to hijack the thread, but can anyone fill me in on that "Space Invaders" PnP I read about around here somewhere? I kinda put that one on my birthday list(next week)...I'm hoping that doesn't count. What games are on it, and does it have any sharp edges that might hurt when I pull it back out?

1011671[/snapback]

Being that we've resurrected a dead horse... I want to get my licks in on Jakk's Pacific.

I'm with AtariLovesYou... this company is horrible, their products are horrible, and they're looting a nostalgia market with subpar products that they consistently repackage with the same joy-robbing flaws.

I wouldn't buy any of their products at initial release price, even with the idea that I could return it. They're COUNTING on you doing that, then deciding it isn't worth the bother to return it... and I'd be dubious about buying their products at bottom of the barrel clearance price.

But if their products are hitting clearance at $5-$7... it sounds like their reputation has finally caught up with them. Someone said these games are aimed at kids and OUR demographic isn't enough to support them or make it profitable. I disagree. I think the same guys who are interested in retro gaming are the guys who made the FIRST few versions of these Jakks games such successful items. Then we caught on, and started discussing in online forums how horrible their games are. They've released 3 versions of the Ms. Pac Man, Xevious, Mappy, etc combo now... and I disagree.. version 2, the wireless one, was improved over version 1... but only marginally. Xevious was still unplayable (slow response and missed response to diagonals).

The Atari Flashback II is a textbook lesson in how to do it RIGHT to appease this demographic. It is the most flawlessly executed retro all-in-one on the market. The fact that you can mod it to add a cart port is just a bonus that shows they *were* paying attention to OUR demographic... which they *should* be listening to.

My 4 year old has ZERO interest in my Xbox... but she LOVES hanging out with me playing with the Atari Flashback. Atari has covered two WIDE ranging demographics in my household... and in 30 years, she'll probably want a Flashback-40 just to relive those OOOOOOLD school games she used to play with her dad when she was just a girl...

Jakks games, on the other hand... won't mean a damn thing to her.

Well, given the reviews I read about the 1st release(no gamekeys), and the 2nd(wireless).....I was HIGHLY suspect of the 3rd(bundled with gamekeys), to say the least. I must admit, though....that I was very impressed with the ports of Ms. Pac-Man, and the newer Pac-Man. Both games were top notch, and, to be honest about it, worth the price I paid($7). The new version of Rally-X sucks ass. I'm quite disappointed with it.

The gameplay of Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man, seem to be of a higher difficulty than the original arcade machines on their standard settings....however, the patterns for Pac-Man WORK. This is something that hasn't been the case in ANY other port I've played, including the Namco Museum for the N64, and the Pac-Man stick.

It does have another redeeming quality over other sticks....it keeps your high scores(something I've complained about before).

All in all, I can't say that I *LOVE* the stick....but it's at least decent at the budget price I paid. I'm not dissatisfied with the purchase...at the very least, I have some good arcade ports(Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and the original Rally-X(I'm hoping it's at least as good as the version on the Pac-Man stick)), and it does save high scores.

Oh, the version of Dig-Dug is very good as well. My step-son should love it.

Well, given the reviews I read about the 1st release(no gamekeys), and the 2nd(wireless).....I was HIGHLY suspect of the 3rd(bundled with gamekeys), to say the least. I must admit, though....that I was very impressed with the ports of Ms. Pac-Man, and the newer Pac-Man. Both games were top notch, and, to be honest about it, worth the price I paid($7). The new version of Rally-X sucks ass. I'm quite disappointed with it.

The gameplay of Pac-Man, and Ms. Pac-Man, seem to be of a higher difficulty than the original arcade machines on their standard settings....however, the patterns for Pac-Man WORK. This is something that hasn't been the case in ANY other port I've played, including the Namco Museum for the N64, and the Pac-Man stick.

It does have another redeeming quality over other sticks....it keeps your high scores(something I've complained about before).

All in all, I can't say that I *LOVE* the stick....but it's at least decent at the budget price I paid. I'm not dissatisfied with the purchase...at the very least, I have some good arcade ports(Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and the original Rally-X(I'm hoping it's at least as good as the version on the Pac-Man stick)), and it does save high scores.

Oh, the version of Dig-Dug is very good as well. My step-son should love it.

1011769[/snapback]

I think what rubs me wrong is that I paid $19.99 for the first release and 39.99 for the Wireless release... and they were both garbage. We take the wireless with us on camping trips and play on a LCD DVD. If I had paid $7 for both of them, I might be less displeased with Jakks.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have a Jakks Ms. Pac-man with two game keys?? Specifically, does anyone have and willing to part with (for a price of course) with the black game key (which has the original Pacman) on it. I have a Ms. Pac-man thats gamekey compatible and I have the orange gamekey with DigDug on it... but not the black one. And I hear the black one is the only Pacman version in Jakks lineup that is true to the arcade version of Pacman. Can anybody help me? gmail me at lasloo. thanks.