IGNORED

Time to plug some leaks

Albert

I know there are holes in our current rarity guide, such as games that are missing, or bits of information that we don't have (such as missing cart and box scans). I haven't been good on keeping tabs of these omissions, but I would like to address them now. If you know of information or images we're missing and you can either point them out or contribute to help fill them, that would be great. I'm also looking for information that has become out of date or is simply inaccurate.

At this time I am really only interested in information on NTSC games, as PAL is a can of worms I am not interested in plugging up just now (and others have been doing a great job of this elsewhere).

Thanks!

..Al

What about label variants, specifically Atari, Corp re-releases? Do you want to add any more of them to the database?

I think all the 1987-ish re-releases are interesting and would like to add them to the database.

Also, the Sears picture label rarities need to be tweaked. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be easy to reach any agreement on them. IMO, Sears picture label Asteroids and Baskteball should certainly be increased from the 2 and 3 they are at now. However, with the exception of Superman, I don't believe that any Sears picture label is higher than a 6. If they are set any higher, then many other carts in the database will require adjusting to preserve relative rarities.

This should be moved into a separate thread--here I only want to discuss items that should be added and/or changed in the databse, excluding rarity values.

..Al

What about label variants, specifically Atari, Corp re-releases? Do you want to add any more of them to the database?

I think all the 1987-ish re-releases are interesting and would like to add them to the database.

OK, you asked for it. :twisted:

Seriously, I have ~11mb worth Atari, Corp. scans. I don't want to overwhelm you.

Also, the Sears picture label rarities need to be tweaked. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be easy to reach any agreement on them. IMO, Sears picture label Asteroids and Baskteball should certainly be increased from the 2 and 3 they are at now. However, with the exception of Superman, I don't believe that any Sears picture label is higher than a 6. If they are set any higher, then many other carts in the database will require adjusting to preserve relative rarities.

This should be moved into a separate thread--here I only want to discuss items that should be added and/or changed in the databse, excluding rarity values.

I misunderstood your initial post. I've edited my post and will start or resuscitate a thread to address the issue. You might want to add the bit about "excluding rarity values" to your initial post. Otherwise, those sorts of replies will probably be the only ones you get. ;)

Edited by Christophero Sly

Sears pic Superman, Hangman (Atari Corps silver label), and the aforementioned Blackjack need to be added to the database. This Frogger cart should go in there too, and I'm not the only one to have a NTSC copy. Just ask Cpuwiz. These are the major variations missing off hand.

As for carts that need there rarity adjusted one way or another I suggest looking at:

- Skiing (Activison blue text label)

- Motorodeo

- Ikari Warriors

- Water World

- Obelix

- Fun with Numbers (Atari Corps)

- Concentration (Atari Corps)

- Atlantis (Day Scene)

- Donkey Kong (red label)

- Basketball (Sears pic)

- Asteroids (Sears pic)

- Spacechase (Apollo Blue)

- Speedway II (Sears pic)

- Gunslinger (Sears pic)

- Espial

- Berestain Bears

- Raft Rider (standard)

There are more. I just can't think of them right now.

As far as rarity tweaks, I think the status of Air Raid should be changed from a 10 to a ? for rarity given its dubious history and the fact that no one can even corroborate the existence of Menavision or the name Air Raid for this game.

Don't forget about adding Unknown Datatech to the database as well:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...he+unknown+game

Looks like I'll be busy this weekend. Keep 'em coming! And again, please start new threads if you want to discuss adjusting the rarity of individual games.

Christopher: If you have scans of games that you feel we should add, please send them my way. You can email them to albert@atariage.com, please don't send PM those to me (since my email is more "permanent").

That NTSC Frogger variation is rather interesting, too bad I don't have one in my collection. :)

Also, I'm less concerned with manuals right now.. I do have a _TON_ of 2600 manuals scanned in, but not up on the site right now. I'm mostly looking for:

1) Games missing entirely

2) Missing cart scans

3) Missing box scans

4) Incorrect/outdated information

5) Flat-out mistakes (such as the bad screenshots mentioned above)

Sku_u: I agree about Air Raid, I don't think that should have a rarity of 10, since the history behind it is not known at all.

..Al

Albert, here are the scans of Glib that I mentioned last week. I think these will look better than the ones currently in the database.

By the way, the forums don't quite render correctly on the machine I use for scanning. It runs MacOS 8.1 with IE 5.1.

What do you mean, you're not concerned??

:D

post-6115-1149809968_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1149810028_thumb.jpg

Ok here I some games that might need an update and what their new rarity should be

Ikari Warriors-8

Motorodeo-8

Glacier Patrol-7

Universal Chaos-8

Obelix-9

Spike's Peak-8(this maybe just a crudy game, which may explain the low price)

Fun with Numbers-5

Berenstein Bears-8

Those all sound like reasonable adjustments to me.

Albert, here are the scans of Glib that I mentioned last week. I think these will look better than the ones currently in the database.

The scans look great, thanks!

By the way, the forums don't quite render correctly on the machine I use for scanning. It runs MacOS 8.1 with IE 5.1.

What do you mean, you're not concerned??

Yeah, that's a pretty ancient browser at this point, I can imagine that the forum is not quite at home on it..

..Al

Ok here I some games that might need an update and what their new rarity should be

Ikari Warriors-8

Motorodeo-8

Glacier Patrol-7

Universal Chaos-8

Obelix-9

Spike's Peak-8(this maybe just a crudy game, which may explain the low price)

Fun with Numbers-5

Berenstein Bears-8

Waterworld-8

Concentration (Atari Corps)-5

Atlantis (Day Scene)-4

Donley Kong (Red)-4

Espial-7

Spacechase (Apollo Blue)-5

Raft Rider (Standard)-7

Skiing (Text Label Blue)-7

Yeah, that's a pretty ancient browser at this point, I can imagine that the forum is not quite at home on it..

Yep, the machine itself is a bit old. I'm assuming you didn't take my comment seriously, but either way, don't. :)

Donley Kong (Red)-4

I would agree with this one. Red-label Donkey Kong seems about as common as red-label Donkey Kong Junior and I don't see either very often. 4 is about right for both, in my opinion.

Also, I would suggest bumping the 7800 picture-label Pole Position 2 up to at least 3. It's definitely not as common as the text-label cartridge, and in my experience isn't anywhere near as easily found as the other 7800 2's. The boxed version of Pole Position 2 is of course fairly common, however, not all boxes came with a picture-label cartridge inside, as I found out when I bought one from Big Lots back in the day.

Edited by skunkworx

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

As far as rarity tweaks, I think the status of Air Raid should be changed from a 10 to a ? for rarity given its dubious history and the fact that no one can even corroborate the existence of Menavision or the name Air Raid for this game.

Don't forget about adding Unknown Datatech to the database as well:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...he+unknown+game

Has anyone managed to ascertain when Air Raid was released? I know nobody know who made it but if it uses so much of Space Jockeys code it stands for reason it was released after Space Jocky ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There are a few Sears 2600 games that are doubled in the listing. The cart scan urls are the same, so I don't think that it is for label variations.

They are:

Blackjack

Chase

Math

Outer Space

Pong Sports

Speedway II

Tank Plus

I don't know if it is a valid variant but, someone is selling a B/W label Thunderground on eBay. A more knowledgeable member should know and could provide a cart scan

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-WHITE-THUNDERGRO...VQQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if it is a valid variant but, someone is selling a B/W label Thunderground on eBay. A more knowledgeable member should know and could provide a cart scan

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-WHITE-THUNDERGRO...VQQcmdZViewItem

It's a genuine variant:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=8044

8)

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, the machine itself is a bit old. I'm assuming you didn't take my comment seriously, but either way, don't. :)

Donley Kong (Red)-4

I would agree with this one. Red-label Donkey Kong seems about as common as red-label Donkey Kong Junior and I don't see either very often. 4 is about right for both, in my opinion.

Also, I would suggest bumping the 7800 picture-label Pole Position 2 up to at least 3. It's definitely not as common as the text-label cartridge, and in my experience isn't anywhere near as easily found as the other 7800 2's. The boxed version of Pole Position 2 is of course fairly common, however, not all boxes came with a picture-label cartridge inside, as I found out when I bought one from Big Lots back in the day.

I suggest bumping up 2600 Super Baseball some. Not ever seen in the wild anywhere, and not common in someone's collection.

Donley Kong (Red)-4

I suggest bumping up 2600 Super Baseball some. Not ever seen in the wild anywhere, and not common in someone's collection.

I agree. It is definetly a 4 in my book.

• 2 months later...

Sorry about, reviving an old topic, but I'd hate to start a new one and create clutter, and this topic seemed to fit what I'm looking for. I've got a question about the Pole Position Misspelling one myself. I have a silver cartridge without the misspelling on it, though the main face picture bears no resemblance to this one:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=364

It (the main face label) bears an exact resemblance to this one, albeit with smaller lettering, and without the misspelling on the nametag on the top:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=366

Did I pass over another entry for Pole Position, or was one just not created yet? If there needs to be one created, then I'd gladly contribute, I'm just curious if I have some kind of corrected re-print/re-issue or something.

Edited by Lunchbox