IGNORED

Barnstorming - Game #1 - 32.04 - What the...?!?!!

Jeffy Arensmeyer

WOW!  Thank you for that!

But you are still going to retest the 32.50 time, right?

Absolutely. Todd has agreed that he will play on all three of his carts and whatever, 3rd party cart is presented at CGE and we will videotape the effort. I certainly hope he can reproduce this time (as I'm sure he does). :)

Hello and Greetings to all fellow ATARI gamers, The word that comes to mind after reading all these posts is WOW!!!! Matter of fact i sort of felt like the posts on this forum were alot like playing BARNSTORMING or a merry-go-round of the same over and over and over again..I am glad that we are finally putting some needed rest or resolve to this unfortunate matter.. I NEVER felt that i was above anyone but just doing the best that i can do as a gamer, Sometimes in the jog of things second and third partys handeling such delicate information like high scores and employees who work for major companies do not have the 1) passion as we gamers have ,and 2) the will to obsserve what material that they are forwarding .....The idea at hand is that i have no problems what so ever letting anyone see my accomplishments live or on tape to prove a fact and if anyone who reads this post has the ability and funds to come out to the CGE in Vegas they will see first hand what i am talking about and what seperates me from the average player. I have dedicated YEARS of my life to perfecting games one after the other and BARNSTORMING is just one of many. If it were not for other players as yourselves playing these video games and keeping the idea of FUN included in the games . Then this forum and other entities who thrived on purity and the sport of competition would surely be lost . I hope that after all this that went on we will still stick together as a video gaming family and keep the idea of video gaming alive just as we have for the past 20+ years ....These are my thought and opinions solely not of T.G. Thank you again for reading .........Todd Mr Activision Rogers.

what seperates me from the average player.

I have dedicated YEARS of my life to perfecting games one after the other and BARNSTORMING is just one of many

Todd  Mr Activision Rogers.

Finally! Thank you Todd for taking the time to post! It is nice to finally hear your side of this, however despite your claim to the contrary:

I NEVER felt that i was above anyone but just doing the best that i can do as a gamer

the top3 statements DO come across as a bit smug from where I sit. Sorry...

Stan

dyancy By going the extra distance to go low on the first 3 barns those birds should be farther ahead than when I go right underneath the top. There is something in the program that is making them closer when I go low on the first 3 barns and allows me to easily duck under them instead of going between them.

I wish someone else would test this out and see what I'm talking about especially one of the programmers or hackers.

I played the no lower windmill hack today just for laughs. Here is something to consider that may affect the clock. The game does not produce the "swooping" sound that it normally does when flying OVER a windmill. When a sound is made; is the clock slowed??? :ponder:

Hello Todd. I'm glad you've reviewed this thread as well as taken the time to contribute.    :D    My intention for this topic was never to defame/deface anyone, but to understand how this score was achieved and how it could have stood for so long. There was never any doubt that it was either incorrect or involved a trick, but what caused the mistake and how it remained unverified for so long was distrubing.

TG has "stepped up to the plate" to correct this matter, which is very reassuring. Hopefully, they (TG) will post their procedures and results in here once everything is resolved.

...Sometimes in the jog of things second and third partys handeling such delicate information like high scores and employees who work for major companies do not have the 1) passion as we gamers  have ,and 2) the will to obsserve what material that they are forwarding...

If you don't mind, I would like to ask one question...

» What was the time span from the time you achieved your Barnstorming score at the Activision offices until you received the letter, stating the incorrect time?   :?

Thanx again for dropping by. Now that you're a registered visitor of AtariAge, I hope to see you around more often. And I look forward to seeing you in photos and videos from CGE. :D

(Albert, you are going to make sure that stuff gets posted, right? :D)

ò¿ó          smiling_to_games.gif

To my knowledge (albiet limited) I would say no. I see no reason for this to happen, unless it is a tiny reward for successfully clearing the windmill. I can see NO noticeable difference in clock speed when clearing a windmill as opposed to regular flight.

I expect someone with more Barnstorming expertise to give you a better explanation, but I don't think the sound and clock are related.

What made you consider this possibility?

Stanjr: thanks for the reply, but that's not what I meant.

On the hacked version, one flies straight thru below the windmills and no sound is made except that of the airplane engine. On the real game when flying OVER a windmill, another sound is made. A "Swoop" if you will. I thought that this may allow the plane to travel forward a few pixels while the processor switched operations. The program has to perform the extra operation of producing that sound at every windmill in the real version. This was not done in the hacked version. If the production of this sound were required in the hack, a faster time may be possible on the game clock!

I think the sound doesn't effect the gameplay at all, but I'll check and maybe hack it into the game again.

At the moment I'd guess, that the sound is only played when you are flying high enough. So when you fly over the (invisible) windmills in the hacked version, you should hear it, right?

It's the sound that's made as you pass over a windmill, kinda like the sound you hear when you pass a car on Pole Position. It's more than likely some type of branching statement that if you are above the windmill, then make the sound. It also sounds like the same sound that's played when you pass over a barn.

Since the game is programmed so you must either go over the windmill and make a passing sound or smack the windmill and make another sound, there's no provisions for passing through the windmill, so no sound. (Exactly as Thomas said. Good point Thomas.) :ponder:

Based upon the theory that sound slows the game, then you should be able to disable all sound, run the hacked version and have a faster time than 32.07 or 32.05. :o

Since it seems (I'm really quessing here) that the 2600 processor has one speed, it doesn't sacrifice calculations and/or performance when it gets overloaded. Whereas today's game consoles slow down and allow the CPU "to digest", the 2600 continues to plow through the binary info and if something gets skipped (or blinks) then it doesn't slow down to accomodate, but rather says "Oh well" and keeps on truckin'. :D

ò¿ó          smiling_to_games.gif

Since it seems (I'm really quessing here) that the 2600 processor has one speed, it doesn't sacrifice calculations and/or performance when it gets overloaded

You can't overload the 2600. :)

The only thing that could happen is, that you are doing calculations which last longer than allowed (bad design!). The result would be a slower framerate, which only would decrease the overall game speed for the player. From the 2600 point of view, nothing would change at all (simply because it doesn't know, since it has no real-time clock to compare with). Relative to the framerate, everything is always working at the very same speed.

There is a way for an advanced programmer to recognize a possible drop of the framerate and skip some unnecessary steps, but I haven't seen such a code yet (definitely not in Barnstorming). :idea:

• 1 month later...

This was one of the things I really wanted to see at CGE but didn't get to. Was anyone able to see Todd duplicate (or come close) to his record? I saw a bunch of people playing dragster for a $25 prize but I didn't see Todd play any games :(

• 2 weeks later...
This was one of the things I really wanted to see at CGE but didn't get to. Was anyone able to see Todd duplicate (or come close) to his record? I saw a bunch of people playing dragster for a $25 prize but I didn't see Todd play any games :(

.. if Todd was there I had no idea who he was; and at no time did I see anybody playing Barnstorming competitively (or at all). :?

Looking through the photos taken at CGE, Todd was a referee for Twin Galaxies on some of their contests, as seen here.

I've got to admit, though, that after all of the discussion and promises to document and report the Barnstorming happenings at the show, it sure seems to have quietly and conveniently went away. :thumbsdown:

ò¿ó                       graemlin_cursing.gif

I've got to admit, though, that after all of the discussion and promises to document and report the Barnstorming happenings at the show, it sure seems to have quietly and conveniently went away.  :thumbsdown:

Yes, I'm disappointed that we didn't document Todd playing Barnstorming. But there is no conspiracy here to hide anything, we were just so damn busy at CGE2K2 that the few times I was able to escape our booth I generally only had time to run around for a few minutes. And I did bump into Todd a few times, although mostly when he'd come by our booth to say Hi. I'm sure we'll get to follow through on this someday.

..Al

...there is no conspiracy here...

Sorry about that. |:)None implied. I just meant that for an event to have so many interested parites involved, and to have caused such a stir in these forums, it seemed like everyone was either too busy to follow up or just failed to report the results.

And that's not pointed at anyone in particular. Many (AtariAge, Twin Galaxies, Camera Volunteers, Visitors, Principals) all vouched documented, witnessed results, but I'm afraid that once again there will be only memories and hear say that remains to carry the torch of what happened. :sad:

There's no harm done and since it's such an open sore for the video game community, it may be best if it just sinks back to the bottom of the very forums from which it was born. :roll:

ò¿ó                smiling_to_atariage.gif

Sorry about that. |:) None implied.  I just meant that for an event to have so many interested parites involved, and to have caused such a stir in these forums, it seemed like everyone was either too busy to follow up or just failed to report the results.

Yes, it is a big disappointment that with everyone involved nothing happened at the show. Unless you attend CGE and are involved as a vendor or exhibitor, it's really hard to express just how crazy the show can be. It can be difficult to pin several people down when everyone (mainly myself, Ron and Todd) is really busy doing their own thing. The best thing to do is to setup a time in advance where all the necessary parties can gather, and unfortunately that didn't happen.

This was our first showing at CGE as a vendor, so it was a big learning experience for us. Our booth was fairly busy and it seems there was always something needing my attention. There were many lessons learned, so next time hopefully things will run more smoothly.

..Al