IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Serial Number Thread

Wester

Here's the Pics. I should taken some before shots. It looked like it was stored in a barn. Sure cleaned up nice though!

I noticed some thing odd though, I see from the posts that most heavy sixers had white labels, or if they had a silver label, they were doubled with a white label. This unit only has the silver label, and it looks original, it is peeling away naturally and there is no indicationof another label behind it.

Also, there is a stamping on the inside of the top cover that says "Property of Atari, Inc. Sunnyvale California"

BTW, this one has the nicest picture of any unit I've ever had.

post-8385-1157078758_thumb.jpg

post-8385-1157078902_thumb.jpg

post-8385-1157078927_thumb.jpg

post-8385-1157078941_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankmcc

Here's the Pics. I should taken some before shots. It looked like it was stored in a barn. Sure cleaned up nice though!

I noticed some thing odd though, I see from the posts that most heavy sixers had white labels, or if they had a silver label, they were doubled with a white label. This unit only has the silver label, and it looks original, it is peeling away naturally and there is no indicationof another label behind it.

Also, there is a stamping on the inside of the top cover that says "Property of Atari, Inc. Sunnyvale California"

BTW, this one has the nicest picture of any unit I've ever had.

Unfortunately, that's not a heavy-sixer.

Unfortunately, that's not a heavy-sixer.

As I suspected from the silver sticker and 6-digit serial, which is why I asked for the console pic.

Thanks for the efforts frankmcc. Keep trying; see phitter's 3rd pic in post #304 above for a nice close-up of an area of a heavy sixer that's easy to differentiate from a light sixer. Notice that the edge molding (actually the entire case bottom) is about the same thickness as the woodgrain panel. This is what makes it "heavy" - there's about half a pound more plastic in a heavy sixer vs. a light sixer. Phitter's 3rd photo doesn't show it very well, but the lower front corner of the heavy also has a large-radius curve, rather than the sharp angle of the light sixer. The back side where the controllers plug in has a similar border around it too (but is rarely shown in eBay pics, so not usually used for identification).

For a decent picture of a heavy sixer, see the full-size version of ditasw's first picture in post #294 (though this one is missing most of its trim paint, surprisingly the switch levers look very good).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

frankmcc:

As A.J. Franzman said, that isn't a Heavy, but I do thank you for posting and hope that you will find a Heavy.

phitter:

Thanks for posting with the picks, I too would like to know if you can see another sticker under the silver one. I've put your silver sticker S/N in the "reconditioned" section of the list.

I don't think my console or grimbasement's belong under the list of "reconditioned" units. Yes, they both have double stickers, but both sickers are white, not silver. I'm not sure why they carry double stickers, but it could be that they were accidently double-stamped when they were originally manufactured. Whatever the reason, I don't believe we know enough at this point to assume that they are "reconditoned" units.

I think we need to see a photo of adams_ale's heavy-sixer. His console carries a serial # in the same format as mine and grimbasement's. It would be interesting to know if it carries a double sticker as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo of the sticker underneath the silver one - 83492J

picturerm0.jpg

I am of the unbiased and objective opinion that refurbished models are much less common than typical Heavy Sixers and should be considered a Holy Grail , affordable to only the most serious collectors. Who's with me? Two stickers for the price of one! Can I be on both lists?

-phitter

p.s. I am a smart ass and I love Hatebreed just as much as Buckner & Garcia

• 4 weeks later...

Found a Taiwanese heavy-sixer today serial #T0029760. My first heavy and working...yeah!

edit: Just openend her up for cleaning. Paper tape on RF shield date stamped JUL 15 1978. This one has obviously been stored outside in the garage or attic and his filthy inside. In fact I'm surprised it's even working.

post-7533-1163722722_thumb.jpg

post-7533-1209178016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prodos8

Found a Taiwanese heavy-sixer today serial #T0029760. My first heavy and working...yeah!

edit: Just openend her up for cleaning. Paper tape on RF shield date stamped JUL 15 1978. This one has obviously been stored outside in the garage or attic and his filthy inside. In fact I'm surprised it's even working.

There is another July 15 Taiwan heavy on the list and it is 1000 or so units apart from yours.

I would guess 1000 in a day was not a problem for Atari way back then!