IGNORED

Any games done better on the ST than the Amiga?

Didn't someone develop a technique similar to "DMA delay" on the C-64 to overcome the page boundary limit?

I'm not familiar with the C-64 technique, but I guess you are talking about the ST "sync-scrolling". Yes, but it has three problems.

It still requires some CPU overhead (indirectly, what it really requires is precise timing).

It doesn't work, at least not fully, in 60Hz.

It was never "blessed" by Atari. Then it was (almost) never used in commercial titles, only in demos. Because developers feared it might not work in future, or even every "current", machines.

when i started to code on ST(e) i hated the bitplane interleaving compared to my A1200 linear buffer... and when i got my 1040ste i chcked out the softscrolling and this again sux... it had bugs (or i was not able to do it correctly ;))....

the developed Sync-Scrolling technique just few games used in total (esp. Thalion games).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enchanted Land

You are right, Enchanted Land uses sync-srolling, probably one of the very few commercial programs that do.

and their sync-scroll worked on each 8 known types of blitter (if i remenber well) => on every ST

Blitter has nothing to do with sync-scroll. It is interesting that the developers, being among the top ST coders/experts, made a big mistake here. If the game runs on every ST, then it is probably mostly by luck. They tried to implement a detection routine so that the sync-scroll timing would adapt itself according to the specific computer timing. But they are doing it wrong.

That's btw, why it doesn't run under Steem. It is also Steem's fault, but if the calibration routine would be correct, then it would run fine under Steem.

• 3 months later...

If the game runs on every ST, then it is probably mostly by luck. They tried to implement a detection routine so that the sync-scroll timing would adapt itself according to the specific computer timing. But they are doing it wrong.

Well, I guess they applied the well known method: "Keep hacking it until it works" :)

Anyway, to get to the topic, most flight simulator programs are usually faster on the ST due to the slightly faster CPU frequency.

Also, some games like oids never had an amiga port, so they are +inf better ;)

But the general idea for ST/AMIGA games is that they were usually handled by the same team (and usually the same programmer) and they mostly cared about the amiga version because (a) They would get more sales (at least jugding from the user base of both platforms), (b) It's easier to code on the amiga due to the extra custom chips. So, that leaves us with inferior st ports, since they were rushed or simply the poor st was unable to cope with the data of its amiga counterpart.

Apparently Defender of the Crown is better on the ST, it has more features. So I've heard.

The ST version was the first to add the screen that shows your guys fighting ground battles. It also allows your guys to move through Saxon lands safely as long as you're not at war with that particular lord (the safe passage screen). I think the Amiga version was also missing the greek fire for the catapults which IIRC is in the ST version.

The only down side is that the graphics are slightly better on the Amiga. I think there are more colors and they're brighter. It's hard to tell without a side by side comparison, but when you see it it's obvious.

Tempest

I have not tried them, but I hear the earlier Sierra games and Origin Ultima 4 and 5 support MIDI on the ST. Considering that none of those games really push the ST or Amiga's graphic or sound hardware at all, it seems likely that with a good MIDI keyboard the ST versions would have better audio.

Try looking at ww.mobygames.com .... you'll be able to find side-by-side screenshots of games for various platforms.

For example, take a look at these two screenshots of "Brutal Sports Football". One is the Jaguar version, and the other is the Amiga version. You know, the Amiga always won praise as a graphics workhouse for its day, and the poor ol' Jaguar got crapped on by the critics, yet the Jaguar version is obviously much nicer!

Jaguar post-8320-1164548979_thumb.jpg Amiga post-8320-1164549038_thumb.jpg

Try looking at ww.mobygames.com .... you'll be able to find side-by-side screenshots of games for various platforms.

For example, take a look at these two screenshots of "Brutal Sports Football". One is the Jaguar version, and the other is the Amiga version. You know, the Amiga always won praise as a graphics workhouse for its day, and the poor ol' Jaguar got crapped on by the critics, yet the Jaguar version is obviously much nicer!

Jaguar post-8320-1164548979_thumb.jpg Amiga post-8320-1164549038_thumb.jpg

The Jaguar version looks better but he Amiga version is way more playable.

As far as comparing games on both systems it is a very small minority of games that are better on the ST (mostly older 1st generation games that were hastily ported to the Amiga). One game I can think of that is better on the ST (altho the two versions look almost identical in screenshots) is llamatron! It's faster and more fun on the ST.

post-5044-1164561944_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

• 3 months later...

I've never compared 'like for like' with ST and Amiga games, though I always thought that the graphics on the ST looked clearer than they did on the Amiga.

I remember reading how designers were impressed with the STs' clean and tidy circuit board design. Maybe thats why everything looked so clear :)

I've never compared 'like for like' with ST and Amiga games, though I always thought that the graphics on the ST looked clearer than they did on the Amiga.

I remember reading how designers were impressed with the STs' clean and tidy circuit board design. Maybe thats why everything looked so clear :)

Another reason could be the ST's monitors were clearer/crisper then the 1084's most Amigans were using. There are plenty of great ST games, but the Amiga did have the edge in graphics and sound when it comes to sprites/scrolling/etc... I find it funny people are comparing Jaguar games to the Amiga, by the time the Jag came out the Amiga was on it's way out... Of course the Jag had better graphics... even Amiga's had progressed somewhat with their too little too late AGA models, but the Amiga era and the Amiga's status as the most powerful (or one of the most powerful) game systems was over by then.

\

Back in the past, the Amiga suffered heavily from the Atari ST because of 1:1 game conversions with slightly better sound.

Once the developers learned how to code correctly on the Amiga, the Atari had no chance anymore. Even 3 D graphics can be done much faster on the Amiga than on the ST, because the Amiga blitter can not only copy rectangular areas but also draw lines at nearly 1 million pixels per second, and do a very quick fill pass on them to get filled polygons. Everythying what takes lot of effort to achieve on the ST is very easy to do on the Amiga.

Back in the past, the Amiga suffered heavily from the Atari ST because of 1:1 game conversions with slightly better sound.

Once the developers learned how to code correctly on the Amiga, the Atari had no chance anymore. Even 3 D graphics can be done much faster on the Amiga than on the ST, because the Amiga blitter can not only copy rectangular areas but also draw lines at nearly 1 million pixels per second, and do a very quick fill pass on them to get filled polygons. Everythying what takes lot of effort to achieve on the ST is very easy to do on the Amiga.

Not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I remember

reading what the games developers themselves said, and it was

along the line of, because the ST's processor was faster, 3D stuff

was better, and also about something to do with the STs memory

management comparted to the Amiga's arrangement.

Even 3 D graphics can be done much faster on the Amiga than on the ST, because the Amiga blitter can not only copy rectangular areas but also draw lines at nearly 1 million pixels per second, and do a very quick fill pass on them to get filled polygons

I heard (on amigas developer forum) that Amigas Blitter isn't fast in line/fill mode and CPU can plot poligons faster.

e.g. "Robocop" is smother on ST than on Amiga.

Edited by Cyprian_K

Yeah - ST works with whole RAM at full speed, while Amiga has 'slow RAM' for video buffer - it is additional slowdown.

I don't think that blitter can much help to make 3D faster - there are no 1 million pixel long lines :D

Actually, by regular short lines it may be slower than CPU - programming blitter needs some time...

• 1 month later...
Yeah - ST works with whole RAM at full speed, while Amiga has 'slow RAM' for video buffer - it is additional slowdown.

Not entirely true. Working with 16 colours in Lores Mode (320x200) or 4 colours in Hires Mode (640x400) steals no cycles from the CPU. Speed decreases when you use 32 or 64 colours in lores or 8 or 16 colours in hires. The ST is not affected by it because it simply can not display more than 16 colours in Lores or more than 4 colours in Hires.

I don't think that blitter can much help to make 3D faster - there are no 1 million pixel long lines :D

Then you think wrong. The Amiga Blitter can draw a Line Pixel every 4 DMA cycles which equals nearly 1.000.000 pixels per second. This has nothing to do with "1 million pixel long lines", as you eloquently put it.

Actually, by regular short lines it may be slower than CPU - programming blitter needs some time...

You don't need the CPU at all for that. The Copper can set up the Blitter too, freeing the CPU completely from handling the blits.

Just watch some decent Amiga Demos like Hardwired, Arte or Desert Dreams, then you get the idea how fast the Amiga really is in drawing 3D graphics. The ST appeared to be faster just because of lazy coders form the past who just ported ST code unchanged to the Amiga.

The Amiga is one of the most beautiful architectures ever created, designed by the makers of the VCS and the Atari 800.

Even 3 D graphics can be done much faster on the Amiga than on the ST, because the Amiga blitter can not only copy rectangular areas but also draw lines at nearly 1 million pixels per second, and do a very quick fill pass on them to get filled polygons

I heard (on amigas developer forum) that Amigas Blitter isn't fast in line/fill mode and CPU can plot poligons faster.

e.g. "Robocop" is smother on ST than on Amiga.

Even the most optimized 68K routine can not beat 1 line pixel per 4 clocks, the speed in which the blitter draws lines. In fill mode, it gets even better. Just set up 2 Blitter channels (A & D preferrable) to the bitmap, enable fill mode, and with every blit, which occurs also every 4 cycles, the blitter fills a whole strip of 16 pixels!

That the ST outperforms the Amiga in 3D graphics is one of the most untrue urban legends. In fact, the opposite is true, but it rarely showed because the Amiga suffered heavily from bad Atari ST conversions.

You don't need the CPU at all for that. The Copper can set up the Blitter too, freeing the CPU completely from handling the blits.

Just watch some decent Amiga Demos like Hardwired, Arte or Desert Dreams, then you get the idea how fast the Amiga really is in drawing 3D graphics. The ST appeared to be faster just because of lazy coders form the past who just ported ST code unchanged to the Amiga.

The Amiga is one of the most beautiful architectures ever created, designed by the makers of the VCS and the Atari 800.

Don't start talking about demos. Demos are mostly cheating :). When it comes to real-world examples a game should be considered as best example. The Copper chip might be used for other purposes in a game other than setting the blitter up.

No doubt the amiga is a nice piece of hardware (and being raised with an 800xl I find its architecture attractive), but like amiga coders that did shabby st conversions because the couldn't master the st hardware as far as arcade style games go, the same can be said about coders that did an amiga port of a 3d game regarding hardware tricks ;)