IGNORED

Supercharger conversion hacks...

Nukey Shay

Cat Trax prototype:

Just a quick dirty one here, since the game is doing something odd with BIT instructions (using static ROM addresses for arguments) that I haven't figured out :P

Originally @264 (attract) and 265 (ingame).

I bumped attract mode by 1 scanline (to make both screens match), and then robbed 3 scanlines to run @262. Ignore the "always taken?/never taken?" comments...those were my guesses that didn't pan out when tracing the program.

Cat_Trax.zip

No Escape:

Original game had an added scanline at the end of the game (when Pegasus is displayed), and a 2-byte graphic glitch on top of the columns (visible when the columns collapse). These have been fixed. A PAL60 conversion also made...but I had to fudge some of the colors that are not available (all of the $1x, $Ex, and $Fx values).

No_Escape.zip

No Escape:

Original game had an added scanline at the end of the game (when Pegasus is displayed), and a 2-byte graphic glitch on top of the columns (visible when the columns collapse). These have been fixed. A PAL60 conversion also made...but I had to fudge some of the colors that are not available (all of the $1x, $Ex, and $Fx values).

Hi

I have a Mod'ed Supercharger and wondering can Hack'em and Asteroids DC be made to run? My only other only option is burning a rom

Atari8man

I have a Mod'ed Supercharger and wondering can Hack'em and Asteroids DC be made to run? My only other only option is burning a rom

Atari8man

No. Both of those games are 8k and the Supercharger contains only 6k of RAM.

I too would love to play Hack 'Em on a real 2600.

The current version of Hack'Em is 16k. The added space handles a seperate boot screen and attract mode demo game, seperate fruit objects for the "plus" variations, point gfx for collected fruit objects, etc.

Added to this thread...

Bridge

Beany Bopper:

-Todo : make the pause switch compatable with 7800

Demolition Herby:

-HMOVE lines hidden (border masked)

NTSC and PAL60 versions created of each.

Bridge.zip

Beany_Bopper.zip

Demolition_Herby.zip

Could be from the Hacks pages...there's been a lot of changes since that version was made (and it was still "broken", too).

The list of corrections and changes is too long to go into here (starting at page 14 of that thread, or reading from the changelog)...but click here for the last 8k build made before I changed it to 16k. The last 16k build can be downloaded by clicking here.

Not exactly (I dunno if anyone ever made such a list). I just pick a title and run an automated Distella disassembly. It's usually pretty obvious by looking at the last few lines of the resulting text file if a game will crash an unmodded SC (if Distella labelled any of the last 8 bytes, it most definately will). Takes just a moment to do that...slightly longer to discover if the nearest label will indirectly reach any of them. If so, I run a more detailed raw disassembly, and edit it to correct the issue.

EDIT: It appears that Oesii was making up a list in his spare time (as he was playing the games through his unmodded SC)...but I dunno if he ever finished it.

Edited by Nukey Shay

Thanks again Nukey for all your work! I follow this thread regularly now :D , the Supercharger is easily the coolest vintage accessory for the VCS. :cool: I don't have a Kroko cart, any CuddleCarts, or Chimera - Or an eeprom burner or a VCS dev. system. I haven't heard anything recently from MOS6507 on Chimera.

I never had a Supercharger back in the eighties, but I did hear about it back then,... and it sounded totally cool. I'm glad I finally got one, even twenty years later! :P

2 more...

Planet Patrol:

Some corrections done in this (the original game had HMOVE's hitting at the wrong times...leading to erratic scrolling). A few other tweaks.

Air-Sea battle:

While the game is only 2k, it was reported in another thread that the collision detection didn't work w/Superchargers. 1st attempt. Palette-selection added via the color/B&W switch (compatable w/7800's). I also masked out the HMOVE lines, and fixed some minor color shade glitches.

NOTE: rom must be doubled in size for Superchargers.

Planet_Patrol.zip

Edited by Nukey Shay

2 more...

Planet Patrol:

Some corrections done in this (the original game had HMOVE's hitting at the wrong times...leading to erratic scrolling). A few other tweaks.

Air-Sea battle:

While the game is only 2k, it was reported in another thread that the collision detection didn't work w/Superchargers. 1st attempt. Palette-selection added via the color/B&W switch (compatable w/7800's). I also masked out the HMOVE lines, and fixed some minor color shade glitches.

NOTE: rom must be doubled in size for Superchargers.

The collision detection still does not work.

How hard would doing the opposite be? That is, hacking a supercharger game binary so it can be put on an 8K chip.

Generally not possible. Many SuperCharger games require that significant amounts of the cartridge RAM be writable. That just plain isn't going to happen on an EPROM-based cart.

2nd attempt...

Unused bits from player 2's collisions (which is where the problem originated...thx Thomas) are trimmed off before merging with player 1's. As far as I can tell, this should work.

The downside is that the change causes 1 scanline to overrun for each of the color bands. As a result, the spacing between objects is slightly different than the original game. The lower area has been reduced by 8 scanlines to compensate.

Air_Sea_Battle.zip

Crackpots:

A bunch of space made available (plus a little bit of ram, too). This game is already a great one, so I didn't have much to add but a bit of animation to the flowerpots (as well as a small "game over" message...accomplished by reusing the text display subroutine for the "bonus bug" display area). Down to zero free romspace, so I'm posting it before it ends up broken :P

Again, yellow and other non-PAL hues are being used in the NTSC version. The PAL60 version turned out more brown than I'd like (but still better than the "official" PAL version...which is still using the NTSC color palette). Change them to whatever you want if it makes you sick ;)

Crackpots.zip

2nd attempt...

Unused bits from player 2's collisions (which is where the problem originated...thx Thomas) are trimmed off before merging with player 1's. As far as I can tell, this should work.

The downside is that the change causes 1 scanline to overrun for each of the color bands. As a result, the spacing between objects is slightly different than the original game. The lower area has been reduced by 8 scanlines to compensate.

Just out of curiosity- what is it about the SC hardware that causes collision detection to fail?

I dunno if that has ever been fully researched. This program (for example) assumed that unused bits would be zero. The design of the SC might be interfering with this assumption as far as I know (it seems that emulation does as well).

Gorf:

Palette select hack made. The colors should be correct for every wave except the Warp Zone enemies (I don't know how to adjust this...since it's adding a static value instead of reading from a table - and NTSC colors don't follow the same pattern as PAL).

Anyway, the switch is 7800 compatable. I also had enough free space to add a small explosion sprite, and the # of enemies still in the warp zone too. Either joystick can be used. Doesn't appear to be enough free ram to do a 2-player mode at the moment, tho :(

Gorf.zip

• 2 weeks later...