IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Guys

I have no reason to doubt this 'myth'. It happens all the time. I work in the consumer electronics industry and at the end of every line there is always excess / surplus stock and parts. Sometimes I wish somebody would shoot the buyers and planners who are responsible for procuring parts and forecasting sales, but it's inevitable and they can't get it right 100% of the time, especially with effects minimum orders and lead times. Just this month we trashed millions of £s worth of flat screen TVs because they were last year's model. At least these days the stuff gets recycled.

And why would you want to go digging around a landfill? To prove the myth, or just to get at the cartridges? (as if they are worth anything).

If your answer if the first option, then I can see what you are getting at; there ain't nothing like an adventure and a myth to be proved / disproven!

• 1 month later...
Guys

I have no reason to doubt this 'myth'. It happens all the time. I work in the consumer electronics industry and at the end of every line there is always excess / surplus stock and parts. Sometimes I wish somebody would shoot the buyers and planners who are responsible for procuring parts and forecasting sales, but it's inevitable and they can't get it right 100% of the time, especially with effects minimum orders and lead times. Just this month we trashed millions of £s worth of flat screen TVs because they were last year's model. At least these days the stuff gets recycled.

And why would you want to go digging around a landfill? To prove the myth, or just to get at the cartridges? (as if they are worth anything).

If your answer if the first option, then I can see what you are getting at; there ain't nothing like an adventure and a myth to be proved / disproven!

then again if anyone proves the myth then there is no need for this never ending thread....which i love

:ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

Hehe, this is a great myth... :)

I hope it is never proven that this did not happen. The thought of loads of E.T.carts buried in the desert is nice.

I am not that much of an Atari-expert, did any Atari employee of the time ever comment on this myth? I mean, the guys can speak freely today since the original company is defunct.

Actually, if someone could confirm the event and the place it happened, it would be a nice symbolic grave for Atari itself. :D

Except the question of what was buried. :)

I see no evidence it was 18 truckloads of ET.

It was probably just a random assortment of anything Atari decided they couldn't sell in the crash environment. The popular attribution of this event to ET carts strikes me as most likely a mythical exaggeration.

Edited by gdement

• 2 weeks later...