IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

Though I am a big Amiga fan, I must admit that I really dislike the looks of the CD32:

It's a horrible "design" (if one can call that).

Well, yeah, that's cuz the CD32 looks like a Sega Genesis with an answering machine add-on!

basically, i consider any system dedicated or not that had wood grain as ugly. Reason being, well if it was actual wood grain, there is something interesting about that, but a wood grain sticker??? um no.

That's utter blasphemy. Some of the most classic systems had wood-grain motifs.

post-10357-1233670698_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670728_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670747_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670765_thumb.jpg

and we can't forget Radio Shack's INTV masterpiece: :D

post-10357-1233670827_thumb.jpg

It may be Blasphemy but I agree. The fake wood grain always reminded me of our station wagon and that certaintly wasn't a chick magnet. I always liked the Odyssey2 because it looked futuristic for its time (when almost everyone was putting out fake woodgrain systems). The other Odyssey systems weren't very attractive.

If you start a 'The most beatiful looking game system ever'-thread, you'll probably see the same systems...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

I really like the Apple IIc and just about anything from the Atari XL series.

I've always been indifferent about game systems. I guess I was more up-close-and-personal with computers while game systems got tucked away under the TV. It didn't matter how ugly they were.

It may be Blasphemy but I agree. The fake wood grain always reminded me of our station wagon and that certaintly wasn't a chick magnet.

Maybe it's my fault for being born after the 70s, but I never got the concept of woodgrain. If my console/tv/radio is not made of wood, why do I want to make it look like it was?

It may be Blasphemy but I agree. The fake wood grain always reminded me of our station wagon and that certaintly wasn't a chick magnet.

Maybe it's my fault for being born after the 70s, but I never got the concept of woodgrain. If my console/tv/radio is not made of wood, why do I want to make it look like it was?

It was what was in at the time. The same reason every appliance from the mid to late 70's was Avocado Green or Harvest Gold. Just the style of the time, sort of like black appliances with blue LED's are what's in now.

Tempest

It was what was in at the time. The same reason every appliance from the mid to late 70's was Avocado Green or Harvest Gold. Just the style of the time, sort of like black appliances with blue LED's are what's in now.

Tempest

Exactly; and of course people in 20 years will put Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii down as ugliest of all time with their all white/ black colour scheme and boring as drying paint shapes. Styles change and things that looked cool begin to look pretty odd.

You mean like this 1970 Olds Vista Cruiser? Quite to the contrary, I think it's beautiful. :lust: To be fair though I grew up in the 70's so I love stuff like earth-tones & wood-grain, 8-track tapes, lava lamps and shag rugs. :D

post-10357-1233683796_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tempest

Exactly; and of course people in 20 years will put Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii down as ugliest of all time with their all white/ black colour scheme and boring as drying paint shapes. Styles change and things that looked cool begin to look pretty odd.

I dunno, I think the Wii is pretty damn boring right now. It's just a rectangle...at least the 360 and PS3 made an effort to look interesting.

Plus I think the Wii Remote looks stupid. :P

I like the thing; don't like to look at it.

I still say the SMS is just hideous:

post-6060-1233690735_thumb.png

And lots of people argued for the original Genny over its descendents - and after reminding myself what they all look like, I'm inclined to say that they are all ugly, each in its own way.

post-6060-1233690926_thumb.jpg

post-6060-1233690942_thumb.jpg

post-6060-1233690947_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tempest

I dunno, I think the Wii is pretty damn boring right now. It's just a rectangle...at least the 360 and PS3 made an effort to look interesting.

Plus I think the Wii Remote looks stupid. :P

I like the thing; don't like to look at it.

I still say the SMS is just hideous:

post-6060-1233690735_thumb.png

And lots of people argued for the original Genny over its descendents - and after reminding myself what they all look like, I'm inclined to say that they are all ugly, each in its own way.

post-6060-1233690926_thumb.jpg

post-6060-1233690942_thumb.jpg

post-6060-1233690947_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but the Genesis 2 is, in no way, ugly. The Master System is no 7800, but it looks a lot nicer than the ugly ol' toaster.

You mean like this 1970 Olds Vista Cruiser? Quite to the contrary, I think it's beautiful. :lust: To be fair though I grew up in the 70's so I love stuff like earth-tones & wood-grain, 8-track tapes, lava lamps and shag rugs. :D

post-10357-1233683796_thumb.jpg

LMAO! Wow, replace the cool rims with cheesy hubcaps, paint it baby blue, and have the wood grain sticker peeling off in spots, add a CB Antenna, and it would be a dead ringer for our old wagon. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

tg16.jpg

:razz: :razz: :razz:

HEY! I like the TurboGrafx!

Anyway, whoever said that they didn't think it was the right timing to release an NES that looked like a traditional console is right. I've always heard that they wanted it to look more like a VCR or some other type of equipment than a video game console. They even called it the Nintendo Entertainment System because they didn't want to call it a video game system. People still had a bad taste in their mouths from the crash....

Ugliest console, IMHO, is the Nintendo 64. Never liked the squatty melted look it has. I like my consoles to have some right angles somewhere...

I think that the nature of video game marketing keeps the console style ever-changing. Take every system from the Odyssey forward, and each one is a sign o' the times, and is only relevant (stylistically speaking) during its respective era. I have yet to see a console that has a "timeless" look, but I think the facades of the post 1983 Ataris (2600 Jr, 5200, 7800) appear as though they could have been plucked from any era....

That said, I'm sure that in ten years, people will look at the Wii or the PS2 slim and say, "Oye!!!...blehck! People had no taste!"

That said (again), I think that the original 2600 looks the most like the audio/video gear of the day, and remains truest to what the current style was (unless you were rich and could afford the space-age furniture, spherical 8-track stereos, doughnut shaped phones, etc to match your original Odyssey). The original NES ALMOST captured that essence with their front-loading design.....but not quite...

The Sega units were all their own....love them or leave them, they were characteristic of the late 80s and early 90s-- busy, crowded, edgy, and awesome.

I could go on and on....

Oh yeah, my vote....um.....I'd say the Intellivision is the prettiest system (perfectly symmetrical, no cords to wind up, controller storage on-deck), and the ugliest would have to be the N64....no discernable color scheme, those nauseatingly ugly controllers...it was just weird looking to me as a kid.

basically, i consider any system dedicated or not that had wood grain as ugly. Reason being, well if it was actual wood grain, there is something interesting about that, but a wood grain sticker??? um no.

That's utter blasphemy. Some of the most classic systems had wood-grain motifs.

post-10357-1233670698_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670728_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670747_thumb.jpg

post-10357-1233670765_thumb.jpg

and we can't forget Radio Shack's INTV masterpiece: :D

post-10357-1233670827_thumb.jpg

What no Astrocade?

I think the Odyssey^2 is one of the coolest looking systems ever. I bought one as a youngster thinking the key pad would

make it a system you could make your own games on. 2 decades later, I'm finally getting to code for it but using a PC as

a cross deveoplment system. DOH!

Astrocade was kinda ugly but still one of my all time favorites.

NES/SNES

Channel F

are very ugly

Looks nice but way to big....and the joke of the 80's Atari systems hand down....

Those analog controllers would have worked if they simply were self centering.

I think the TG is a great looking system.Small and powerful.

Jaguar is still the best looking to me.

I think the Odyssey^2 is one of the coolest looking systems ever. I bought one as a youngster thinking the key pad would

make it a system you could make your own games on. 2 decades later, I'm finally getting to code for it but using a PC as

NES/SNES

Channel F

are very ugly

Looks nice but way to big....and the joke of the 80's Atari systems hand down....

Jaguar is one of my favorite, CD and all.

NES/SNES

Channel F

are very ugly

Jaguar is one of my favorite, CD and all.