IGNORED

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

mimo

@Selgus- I have posted a link to the exact bulb I have bought elsewhere in this thread

@MG66- Sorry if I misunderstood you, but my question "maybe the amount of UV light is not greatly important, as long as there is some?" was a genuine one

By fluorescent light, do you mean the tube lights? would a standard low energy bulb be of any use?

@Merlin-There is no missing picture. The XE keyboard is difficult to get a good photograph of the yellowing with my current camera, it is there though.

As fate would have it, I do happen to have a UV light sensor floating about here somewhere (the sort that tanning places use to check their bulb output). I'll check a couple regular tubes and the black light i am using. BTW, walmart has a 24" black light tube for $10.

Edited by poobah

Where do halogen lights fit into this? Do they give off more UV than a black light?

Tempest

From everything Ive read, the majority of the output of halogen lamps is shifted towards the lower end of the visible spectrum.

However, mercury vapor is shifted toward the high end.. and does produce a quite significant percentage of UV.. In fact, if you break the outer glass off of the bulb, only leaving the actual mercury vapor tube in the center, it becomes a pretty good UV lamp.. In fact, it produces "dangerous levels" of UV.. I think it will eventually burn out if you run it like that though..

And mercury vapor is not exactly cheap.. a 175watt bulb runs about $16.00.. A fixture that includes a suitable balast to run it is at least $50.00 for a REALLY cheap one.. But if you happen to have a mercury vapor light laying around, I'd try it.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I was able to find the hydrogen peroxide today. It's not pure as I think it also has some acid in it, but it's the best I could do, hopefully it will work.

The thing I can't find anywhere is Xanthan Gum. Is there something else I can use as a thickener? Someone said earlier that Corn Starch doesn't work well?

Once I make the mixture how do I store it? How long can I store it? Were there step by step instructions somewhere in this thread?

Tempest

Can you get Arrowroot? Otherwise, try wallpaper paste, that will work, most food tyoe thickeners like casein may work too. Take a look in the supermarket (mall) and see what's out there.

The mixture WITHOUT Oxy added will store indefinitely. Once you add the Oxy to use it, you get 48 hours maximum before the peroxide is used up.

The steps are earlier in the thread. Feel free at ask questions if required.

Edited by Merlin

Can you get Arrowroot? Otherwise, try wallpaper paste, that will work, most food tyoe thickeners like casein may work too. Take a look in the supermarket (mall) and see what's out there.

The mixture WITHOUT Oxy added will store indefinitely. Once you add the Oxy to use it, you get 48 hours maximum before the peroxide is used up.

The steps are earlier in the thread. Feel free at ask questions if required.

You have chosen the right name, Merlin! Your input on this subject is awesome! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm unfamiliar with Oxy Laundry Boost. A web search shows lots of different brands. Can someone post a specific brand name that is known to be effective, and is commonly available from a supermarket chain, or a CVS-pharmacy-type of store, in the U.S.?

Thanks!

@ Unixcoffee928

Here's a few examples:

321893.jpg

Vanish_Oxi_Action_1Kg.jpg

You will find these in the laundry powder aisle at the mall. Anything that looks like these pots and says "active oxygen" contains TAED and will work.

I'm just pleased that people finally believe that this works; the trolling we've had while we were working on this was really bad, but now on most sites we have contacted, someone says "This is the best thread ever!!!"

That is the coolect part of all... :D

Edited by Merlin

I've only seen corn starch in the grocery store, I assume stuff like arrowroot would be in the same area? I might have to try a 'natural foods' type store.

So I can just make the base mixture and store it in a jar or something until I need it? Good to know. I assume I should keep it out of sunlight and away from heat and all that.

You should have seen the look on the face of the person at the store when I was buying all of this stuff. I'm sure she thought I was either making Crystal Meth, a bomb, or something like that. :)

Tempest

You should have seen the look on the face of the person at the store when I was buying all of this stuff. I'm sure she thought I was either making Crystal Meth, a bomb, or something like that. :)

Tempest

Buahahahaha!!!! Classic!!!!!

You aren't the first to have said that, mate.....I'm surprised that the SAS haven't kicked my front door in.. yet :ponder:

"But honestly officer, I was just going home to clean my computer...."

LOLZ

Edited by Merlin

Thanks for the info! Should be a fun project!

& no, I only turn it on for the History Channel specials, & to catch Richard Lloyd's "Alchemical Guitarist" program, once a month

TV is an escapist's drug. Most TV is downtime. Most TV will give you BRAINROT, poor memory, & a short attention span. TV is the modern Opiate For the Masses. TV Drug Ads will turn you into a psychosomatic hypochondriac. TV is a propagandist's dream. TV tells millions of viewers what is funny and what is serious, what is right, & what is wrong, & what is 'important'. Those same millions of viewers share the same exact hallucination simultaneously, no matter where they are on the planet.

TV is not for me. Thanks anyway.

@ All

If anyone tries this, I would like you to pictures please, before and after, and also record what you used to make the mixture; it all helps with the proof that this is reproduceable and helps me to advise people worldwide as to what to use, as brand names vary from country to country.

(And I do like my hardware pr0n :D)