IGNORED

The Definitive Lynx Cart Variation List

Atari Smeghead

Warbirds, Desert Strike, and Double Dragon have all been published on the black "Long Live the Lynx!" PCB (in addition to post-Atari releases like Fat Bobby, Hyper Drome, etc.). These are likely legitimate.

I misread... I thought it was regular PCBs... forgot to question if it was a LLtL PCB. Those obviously are legit.

Aftermarket... but legit.

a friend of mine had a silver blue lightning cart i havent heard anything about that.

I've never heard or seen such a cart. If there's any way you can get a pic, I'd love to see it!

Don't know if it has been written but there is black PCB version of DESERT STRIKE and recently of DOUBLE DRAGON.

Thanks for the info! There are a lot more black PCB games then I wold've thought. Would you happen to have pics?

Pictures? Wanna a few?

Thanks a ton for putting this pics up! That's fantastic! Say, is the dual-chip EotB the one you just spent all that money on?

Ya gotta admit Eric, this thread has either given us a lot more Lynx collection fun, or I've just made our jobs a helluva lot more difficult, huh? :roll: :D

Cheers,

Smeg

I think you made things a bit more difficult! LOL.

I'm making a ton of notes from this thread. A TON.

Yes... the dual chip one... that is the proto with the full game. I added the stickers to cover up the EPROM window.

They look okay, but I like the stickers used on Yatsuna better.

That glossy, thick sticker is awesome.

Quick note on the colored cart thing. Smeg, did you take a look at Rygar's site?

He's got two colored Lemmings carts (I believe they are Lemmings). Check those out... I believe they are red and blue... and he said they came like that.

Use babelfish or something to translate the site.

He's got a proto as well that looks cool. It is wedge styled. I'd have to take a look at it again later but it was cool.

I bet Rygar has a ton of cool items he could send us photos of. :)

I would recommend calling the TSOP "flush" black PCB Black PCB 1, and the LLtL black PCB Black PCB 2. It's only fair since the TSOP one came first. ;) Note that some Telegames releases (Fat Bobby, Bubble Trouble, and Raiden for sure) have appeared on both black PCBs.

In fact, I was very surprised to see a pic of Desert Strike on Black PCB 1. I don't remember Telegames producing any of their older Lynx games on that PCB, but I guess I'm mistaken!

You'll have to help Al enhance the "cart style" section on AA once you correlate everything! I'm sure he'd appreciate it. :D

I think you made things a bit more difficult! LOL.

I'm making a ton of notes from this thread. A TON.

Yeah, this thread is an eye-opener, to be sure.

I have come to the realization, however, that it just isn't going to be practical or cost-effective to try to buy copies of every different cart variant. Songbird's wouldn't be as bad, but realizing that for me at least, I'd still need all of the smaller green PCBs and the larger PCB of SFX (and maybe Remnant?). I don't recall seeing any up for sale of eBay... really, Songbird's games are rare enough on eBay, let alone the Green PCBs. I can buy the black PCBs of Ponx and Lexis from Carl, but the rest would be a bit of a challenge.

Then, trying to buy 2-3 different variants of all the Telegames games, which all sell for top dollar/pound/Euro, plus never knowing for SURE which one you'll get when you slice open the box... it kinda sounds like a lifetime event.

Yes... the dual chip one... that is the proto with the full game. I added the stickers to cover up the EPROM window.

They look okay, but I like the stickers used on Yatsuna better.

That glossy, thick sticker is awesome.

I agree that they did a fantastic job on the labeling! Yours is fine... at least you went to more trouble than Video 61, who (for a $50 game/demo) writes "Pounce" or "Lode Runner" on a white label and slaps it on the chip. For the money, he should've done something a bit nicer, in my opinion.

Quick note on the colored cart thing. Smeg, did you take a look at Rygar's site?

He's got two colored Lemmings carts (I believe they are Lemmings). Check those out... I believe they are red and blue... and he said they came like that.

Use babelfish or something to translate the site.

He's got a proto as well that looks cool. It is wedge styled. I'd have to take a look at it again later but it was cool.

I bet Rygar has a ton of cool items he could send us photos of. :)

I finally found Rygar's website, but I couldn't locate the carts you are refering to. If you happen to find it, please send me the link. Or Rygar, maybe you could pop the pics up here, please?

Honestly, though, I don't think I would want to add them to this list... or maybe as a footnote. Any one-of-a-kind cart wouldn't need to be on the list; only items that there is a chance of someone receiving. I did put the Klax Japanese cart, but that was more than a one-of-a-kind, right?

I dunno. It's subjective, to some degree. I think this list is best served as items one can find in the wild. Which is why I'm going to remove the bootlegs like Rapide Racer and Dynablaster off my list. The ones that are "commercially" available like Pounce and AvP are fine, but not one-offs from pirates.

I hope you will not include non-legit carts on your Lynx Cart Variation List, Smeg. Not include carts made by thieves. Like those polish Lemmings and Raiden carts sold on Ebay etc.

Yes, I agree with you. You'll notice that I don't have Lemmings listed as a green PCB, but Raiden was actually produced on a green PCB. B&C is currently selling one on eBay. Which is odd in itself, since B&C say they bought it recently, straight from Telegames. So, I guess they've stopped using the LLtL Black PCB now... unless it's NOS. How baffling, huh?

Cheers,

Smeg

I would recommend calling the TSOP "flush" black PCB Black PCB 1, and the LLtL black PCB Black PCB 2. It's only fair since the TSOP one came first. ;) Note that some Telegames releases (Fat Bobby, Bubble Trouble, and Raiden for sure) have appeared on both black PCBs.

In fact, I was very surprised to see a pic of Desert Strike on Black PCB 1. I don't remember Telegames producing any of their older Lynx games on that PCB, but I guess I'm mistaken!

You'll have to help Al enhance the "cart style" section on AA once you correlate everything! I'm sure he'd appreciate it. :D

Point well taken, Carl! I agree with you. The only problem is, we've been discussing it for a while, so it might end up being confusing to change it now.

What I might do is, wait until the discussion is complete, then make the change on the list.

I've had a conversation with Al about the possibility of making this thread "sticky." He said he'd rather wait until we're done here, then change the list on AA. Makes sense to me. I just wonder how crazy he'll go. I guess three Green and two Black PCBs is not bad. :) (I decided to remove Green 4, since the Blue Lightning Demo is similar enough to Green 1, and besides, it's more-or-less a one-of-a-kind cart. Rygar has one, I have one... I don't think many more exist.)

Cheers,

Smeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well...

I worked a bit more on the excel sheet I have of Lynx games and cart styles.

The resulting number: 160 carts

That is after adding Lynxopoly and the Lynx Flash Cart.

A few items, I think I may edit out. Not really sure.

If anyone wants the excel sheet, I can zip it and put it on this thread later on.

:)

Well...

I worked a bit more on the excel sheet I have of Lynx games and cart styles.

The resulting number: 160 carts

That is after adding Lynxopoly and the Lynx Flash Cart.

A few items, I think I may edit out. Not really sure.

If anyone wants the excel sheet, I can zip it and put it on this thread later on.

:)

Eric,

I'd like to see it as well! My best-guess count (off my own Excel spreadsheet) is 147, but that includes a few of my "demo" carts like Rapide Racer and etc. Oops, 148... I did not include the Japanese version of Klax. :)

Cheers,

Smeg

Okay... if I remember right, the last Excel doc was a pain in the arse.

I saved this as an excel doc... as the 97-2003 Excel edition.

I am on a Vista computer, so I changed it in case it would not open.

Let me know if this works for you.

Atari_Lynx_Database__for_AtariAge_.zip

Note: If you add an 'x' to the OWNED column, it will tally your number at the bottom.

Some of the hyperlinks won't work right now. I will fix that later on.

on some of these carts, I may snag the pictures and put them in my blog somewhere. Then I will link the hyperlink to that picture.

That is another day... a different time...

Discuss this list though!

I have the number above that I put on there, yet some things I still am thinking about taking off the list... or adding to a "One Of" section.

(EotB prototype, Cybervirus Proto... some other protos).

I have 102 of 160 carts. Ugh...

Edited by EricDeLee

Eric,

I am under the impression that this is a legit Raiden cart they bought directly from Telegames.

The text (and B&C's website) reads:

We spent thousands of dollars importing Telegames titles from UK.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that Telegames is now making green PCB versions of their games, or perhaps it's New Old Stock they found in a warehouse.

Since I recently found out my bootleg Raiden is not complete (it dies after one complete play), I really need to buy one of those from B&C before they sell out. But $70...man, that's steep.

BTW, I noticed that your Excel list isn't quite done yet. You have some games not listed with a cart style (or the correct style). And like me, you have some protos on there that shouldn't technically be a part of the overall list.

Thanks for sharing it! I'll combine it with mine and we can come up with a definitive, definitive list. :D I'm at work now, so I'll compare our lists tonight or tomorrow.

You do have an impressive collection, Eric!

Cheers,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Still working on the list... I will be taking off protos and sectioning it off a bit. (I plan to do a proto list and adding which ones have reproduction carts made for them, and a hombrew list, and then section off the 'commercially released list)\

As for my collection... I still have a ways to go.

I hope to add a few more this weekend.

I will be on the prowl in Tulsa, OK, OKC, and then through Indiana.

Should be lot of fun! I can't wait to load up my trunk with Lynx systems!

You can add Lynxopoly with White-PCB1 to your list. :cool:

Regards Matashen

Nice! Thanks for reminding me. I have added it (and the soon-to-be-released Flashcart.)

I can't wait to get my copy of Lynxopoly!

Cheers,

Smeg

Still working on the list... I will be taking off protos and sectioning it off a bit.

I've done some counting... man, it's a chore. On my list, removing the protos and demos that can't be easily purchased, I came up with 145. (I also removed the Blue Lightning proto... same deal.)

On your list, I removed all the protos, and I came up with 147. (You don't have a green PCB version of Yastuna 1 listed, and I'm pretty sure they're out there.)

I think the difference is this:

Are there 2 Black PCB versions of Remnant?

Is there an extra long Green PCB version of Remnant?

We're close, tho!

Good luck in your travels!

Cheers,

Smeg

Are there 2 Black PCB versions of Remnant?

Is there an extra long Green PCB version of Remnant?

Answer #1: No. Songbird has only produced one black PCB.

Answer #2: I don't remember. I know Remnant exists on the shorter Songbird green PCB, but not sure on the longer one.

• 5 months later...

Smeg, Shoot me your list if you can so I can compare. :)

The Lynxopoly were already been added... so has the flashcart being that they both seem to me on the verge of being released

Time to add Zaku :) I don't know if anyone has come up with an official name for the type yet, but I'd propose "Curved Lip without Fuji" (the nickname for Atari's three-stripe logo).