IGNORED

A cross between Pitfall and Adventure

Byte Knight

Legend of Blackbeard

Or Blackbeard's Skull. Maybe finding the skull is only the end of the first phase, then you have a whole new phase (level, whatever) where you have to use the skull to find the treasure-- like if you return the skull to the rest of his skeleton, his ghost thanks you and gives you a clue to where he hid his treasure.

Michael

• Like 1

Legend of Blackbeard

Or Blackbeard's Skull. Maybe finding the skull is only the end of the first phase, then you have a whole new phase (level, whatever) where you have to use the skull to find the treasure-- like if you return the skull to the rest of his skeleton, his ghost thanks you and gives you a clue to where he hid his treasure.

Michael

I like the idea of finding Blackbeard's severed head. Maybe the story could be, "He who has Blackbeard's head controls the sea," kinda like Davey Jones' heart in Pirates of the Caribbean. Or maybe "He who has Blackbeard's head will be the ruler of all pirates."

I like so far. Things that I think might make it more interesting and/or fun if possible.

I like the idea of having platforms or something like an underground and/or cave, treetops, mountain.

Someone mentioned the making the character heavier and I like that idea too.

More enemies to go with added platforms/areas.

Remindes me some of Jungle Hunt as well with island setting. Can't wait to see how this comes along!

I like this game a lot and am jealous. Looks really good!

I'd love to see more like this in the future once this is done. I always wished there was a Pitfall! 3 in similar design to like 2 was. Not those stupid SNES and GB versions. I wish there to be more of this also.

I think that I'll work on adding some vines leading up to a treetop level and a cave that uses the torch effect. You'll have to pick up a torch in order to see in the cave. Maybe add a barrel of rum somewhere to restore your health. It sounds like people want more enemies. Do you mean more existing enemies or new kinds of enemies? Any ideas for new enemies?

Maybe add a barrel of rum somewhere to restore your health.

Or different kinds of barrels, some restore your health, others have different effects. Like if you drink the rum, you get drunk so it messes up your movement (responsiveness to joystick input, or different variables used with the physics), making it easier to fall into a pit when you're trying to jump over, or slip from a vine while you're swinging, etc.

Michael

I finally got to try this game out.

I loved Pitfall and Adventure too..

Very cool, once in a while something will jog me back to the early gamming days, can you imaging how cool this would have been released back in the 80's. There were so many games I used to play and play, just hoping they had an ending, or something new would happen.. (I was frying my atari system before it was called frying)

I do agree the holes are hard, but I always thought they were hard on Pitfall too..

Those screenshots, player sprites, and life counter look awesome! I would have wanted to shell out some dough for that as a kid in the 80s for sure. There is something to be said for properly done graphics. Great job!!!

Thanks guys,

I wish it was the 80's so I'd have some more time to work on this... You guys are really motivating!

I think that I'll work on adding some vines leading up to a treetop level and a cave that uses the torch effect. You'll have to pick up a torch in order to see in the cave. Maybe add a barrel of rum somewhere to restore your health. It sounds like people want more enemies. Do you mean more existing enemies or new kinds of enemies? Any ideas for new enemies?

Spiders for trees maybe, or monkeys? :P

Bats would work for cave but that would interfer with the their bat. Could maybe have falling stalagtights..or mights can't remember whats at the top?

Bats would work for cave but that would interfer with the their bat. Could maybe have falling stalagtights..or mights can't remember whats at the top?

We were taught in Geography at school that stalactites are at the top because "you pull down tights". I've never forgotten it since :lol:.

Hi guys,

Here's some interesting information about Blackbeard's skull. I'm hoping there's a way to incorporate this into the game. Maybe you're Blackbeard's first mate and you get visited by his ghost to find his silver-plated skull?

Wow, when I suggested that you could be searching for Blackbeard's skull, and that by reuniting it with the rest of his body his ghost would give you a clue about how to find his treasure, I didn't know he'd been beheaded and his head was separated from his body like that (in distance, since obviously getting beheaded involves a separation between head and body)!

Michael

Hi guys,

I added four cave screens to the game over the weekend. You get to the cave by going before or past the cannibal screen (skulls on sticks) depending on which way you are running. You'll need to find the torch to see anything inside. You cannot draw your sword while you're carrying the torch. It's pretty cool when the bat steals the torch from you while you're in the cave...

I'll eventually either make a cave entrance screen or a hole to climb down to get into the cave, but for now I thought I'd see what you guys think.

pirate9.bin

Minor Update:

• Added a simple title screen for Level 1

• Initial items remained fixed, but second map piece and skull are randomized

• Initial bat and bat direction randomized

It's amazing how just randomizing a few things makes the game much more fun to play...

Also, I think I'll go with "Curse of Blackbeard's Skull" for the title.

pirate10.bin

Edited by Byte Knight

Hi!

I like it very much. I have a few suggestions/questions.

1) How many screens do you think you could do?

If you had the space, it might be good to make easy mode (20 screens), medium mode (40 screens) and hard mode (80 screens).

In general, this would give great replay value to the game, randomness aside.

But, I'm not sure how much space you're thinking of using, so I thought I'd ask.

2) Whenever the white buzzard hits me, he drains my energy really fast, since he follows me.

Would you consider giving the player a small amount of invincibility while he's being touched?

3) For your next release, can you call your bin something other than pirateXX.bin?

There was a pirate_se.bin that was made for the game Phantom/Pirate, so it may make sense at this point to change the name to blackbeardXX.bin to avoid confusion.

I do think this is fun, and has a lot of potential going for it.

-John

Hi!

I like it very much. I have a few suggestions/questions.

1) How many screens do you think you could do?

If you had the space, it might be good to make easy mode (20 screens), medium mode (40 screens) and hard mode (80 screens).

In general, this would give great replay value to the game, randomness aside.

But, I'm not sure how much space you're thinking of using, so I thought I'd ask.

2) Whenever the white buzzard hits me, he drains my energy really fast, since he follows me.

Would you consider giving the player a small amount of invincibility while he's being touched?

3) For your next release, can you call your bin something other than pirateXX.bin?

There was a pirate_se.bin that was made for the game Phantom/Pirate, so it may make sense at this point to change the name to blackbeardXX.bin to avoid confusion.

I do think this is fun, and has a lot of potential going for it.

-John

Thanks for the praise and suggestions.

1) I plan on doing more screens, but I don't want it to get too big because of the bat. The way the bat currently behaves is to go in one direction until he steals or drops off an object, then will randomly pick a direction. So if there were 80 screens, you might encounter him infrequently... I'm thinking 30-40 screens.

2) The bird is supposed to attack you, unlike the frog and cannibal who will jump over you. He's fairly easy to run under - just move back from him until he's at his peak and then run under him. He's easy to kill with the sword too and he does not regenerate.

3) That's fine with me. Obviously, you can rename it to anything you want as well.