IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

OK, I moved the sed file out of the sed folder. I then hit compile and then it says it's compiling my code but in reality it isn't really doing anything. Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but this is my first time using this thing and I think it's over my head. Should the binary file be inside my project file along with code.bas?

OK, I moved the sed file out of the sed folder. I then hit compile and then it says it's compiling my code but in reality it isn't really doing anything. Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but this is my first time using this thing and I think it's over my head. Should the binary file be inside my project file along with code.bas?

There should be a folder in your project folder named bin. You can't see it in the Project Explorer, but if you open your project folder the normal way using Windows, you should see it. That's where all of your .bin files for that project will be.

Nope. Not a moron. Lots of people have trouble. I've said many times there should be an "unofficial installer".. it would put everything where it needs to be, make entries in your windows paths, etc. It would also provide a few options you can opt to choose such as asm outputting.

Once you get it up and running it's great.

Nope. Not a moron. Lots of people have trouble. I've said many times there should be an "unofficial installer".. it would put everything where it needs to be, make entries in your windows paths, etc. It would also provide a few options you can opt to choose such as asm outputting.

Once you get it up and running it's great.

At least VbB will do the path stuff for you. It even has a configuration wizard to make it so easy even a drooling one-eyed goat could use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Question: I'm using vbB 1.0 and am having trouble getting the file to compile correctly. I'm making an 8k file using bB 1.0 and was just wondering if this is a problem with vbB 1.0 or not. I have been making 4k files without any trouble, and I want to make an 8k file with 6lives_statusbar.asm but it's not letting me. Attached is the file I want to compile, and even if I switch the two beginning lines (putting set romsize 8k), it still gives me a problem at line 0 column 0.

default.bas

Question: I'm using vbB 1.0 and am having trouble getting the file to compile correctly. I'm making an 8k file using bB 1.0 and was just wondering if this is a problem with vbB 1.0 or not. I have been making 4k files without any trouble, and I want to make an 8k file with 6lives_statusbar.asm but it's not letting me. Attached is the file I want to compile, and even if I switch the two beginning lines (putting set romsize 8k), it still gives me a problem at line 0 column 0.

It is compiling fine for me?

Compile started at 10/3/2009 8:45:20 PM
Compiling c:\Emulation\VisualbB\Default\testing8k.bas
2600 Basic compilation completed.
DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler (C)1988-2003
bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
1566 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
1806 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
Compilation completed at 10/3/2009 8:45:23 PM
view output file:///c:/Emulation/VisualbB/Default/bin
Post compilation files deleted

default.bas.bin

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hey, Visual BB is awesome and I use it all the time, and I finally got around to updating to the latest version. I encountered a bug in VBB and felt I should report it.

Every time I access the size of a data using _length, VBB reports it as a warning.

Here's a quick example:

data tLevel0
%11110000,
%11110000,
%11110000,
%11110000,
end

if currentTrack = 0 then worldPY0 = tLevel0_length - 1

I get a warning on that last line, "tLevel0_length is not a valid keyword, known variable, or constant."

The code still compiles fine, so it doesn't stop me from working or anything, but it is technically valid.

edit:

I would also like to point out that the version of VBB I upgraded to (1.0 build 544 from 532) runs much much slower on my netbook.

Edited by Chainclaw

Hey, Visual BB is awesome and I use it all the time, and I finally got around to updating to the latest version. I encountered a bug in VBB and felt I should report it.

Every time I access the size of a data using _length, VBB reports it as a warning.

Here's a quick example:

data tLevel0
%11110000,
%11110000,
%11110000,
%11110000,
end

if currentTrack = 0 then worldPY0 = tLevel0_length - 1

I get a warning on that last line, "tLevel0_length is not a valid keyword, known variable, or constant."

The code still compiles fine, so it doesn't stop me from working or anything, but it is technically valid.

edit:

I would also like to point out that the version of VBB I upgraded to (1.0 build 544 from 532) runs much much slower on my netbook.

Thanks for reporting. I wasn't ware of _Length for data. Is that the only use of it? For now you could add a custom command list in the settings tab or disable syntax checking if the warning is bothering you. BTW where is it slower?

Thanks,

Jeff

I wasn't ware of _Length for data.

I don't even remember reading about it, but here it is:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dataarrays

. . . The maximum size for a data table is 256 elements. Note that there is no checking to see if you have accessed values beyond the table. Doing so will not cause any errors, but the values you get probably won't be very useful.

To help prevent this from happening, a constant is defined with every data statement — this constant contains the length, or the number of elements, in the data. The constant will have the same name as the name of the data statement, but it will have _length appended to it.

Fighting with vbB again. Every time i try to compile, i get a message saying there is a syntax error where i last left the cursor.

Must be something in your code, like a space or tab which is being recognized as a duplicate variable? If you PM me your code I can try to reproduce it while in the debugger.

-Jeff

So will there be an updated build with all the fixes like Background Color, etc.

Also, can Visual bB autocomplete + intellisense 6502? Thank you.

Yes I have most of the fixes in. If something is particularly troublesome let me know and I can share a private build. I have no plan to add intellisense for 6502. I would imagine there is already a development environment for that somewhere?

-Jeff

Sorry so late in reply. I was just hoping for one of those total programming environments where the inline or even full code asm were highlighted+completed. I'm satisfied with Batari alone. Maybe I can use the DASM in Batari with an extra IDE to code, compile, and view in emulator in one program. I wouldn't want you to waste time on anything unnecessary.

By the way, do you know the approximate release date of the next VisualbB? Thanks for all your hard work.

Edited by danextcoder

Sorry so late in reply. I was just hoping for one of those total programming environments where the inline or even full code asm were highlighted+completed. I'm satisfied with Batari alone. Maybe I can use the DASM in Batari with an extra IDE to code, compile, and view in emulator in one program. I wouldn't want you to waste time on anything unnecessary.

Yeah would be nice, but out of scope for me

By the way, do you know the approximate release date of the next VisualbB? Thanks for all your hard work.

When it's done :) I was actually waiting for SeaGtGruff to finalize his bitmap kernel so I could integrate it.

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

Whenever I click the X to close visual bB, I get this. It's nothing much, I know, but was just wondering why and what it means.

Same ting when you click file-Exit? I am guessing it might have something to do with having no projects? PM me a screenshot of what it looks like before you close and it might give me a clue to what is going on.

-Jeff

You're right, I didn't have a project open, i was just working on a .bas file i had from earlier that I made from Crimson editor a long time ago.

That doesn't cause an error in the version I have so either I recently fixed it or you're using an older build. Not having a default project nor an emulator might cause that in older versions.