IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 3: Tail of Beta Lyrae

JellE

Atarimania only has an ATX file, if you don't already have this classic game then

[edit Try the xex from Fandal's site - it will work on real harware, see post 31 (with the table) for more info]

atarionline.pl has many xex and atr versions. The one named (v4).atr looks like it works on atari800win+4.0 with Windows XP, and (v2) worked under Vista. There are some interesting comments on atarimania relating to copy protection affecting the graphics, and adaptive difficulty, so maybe worth checking this out and finding an ATR version that works, and leaving it writable. Maybe someome can report back on this? Luckily this is one of the (few) games I have the original disk for ;)

Gonna need a good joystick for playing this one.

You wait months for two decent side scrolling shooters to appear then two come along at once, we only have ourselves to blame :grin: Game On!

trbb

Atarimania only has an ATX file, if you don't already have this classic game then atarionline.pl has many xex and atr versions. The one named (v2).atr looks like it works on atari800win+4.0. There are some interesting comments on atarimania relating to copy protection affecting the graphics, and adaptive difficulty, so maybe worth checking this out and finding an ATR version that works, and leaving it writable. Maybe someome can report back on this? Luckily this is one of the (few) games I have the original disk for ;)

You wait months for two decent side scrolling shooters to appear then two come along at once, we only have ourselves to blame :grin: Game On!

trbb

If you're saying what I think you're saying I agree. This game sucks. In truth, I just loaded the game and played for 15 minutes, but those were 15 long-ass minutes!

Don't get me wrong, I voted for this one too so I'm not meaning to blame or complain. It's just...it sucks. :P

The adaptive difficulty is a feature, not copy protection if memory serves right. So the XEX version would still be essentially what you'd get on a legit disk.

About to give it my first go, wish me luck :P

EDIT: Wait, what are the rules? 7 ships as default?

EDIT 2: ignore what I said, I apparently had a bugged copy :D

v.4 xex from the atarionline.pl link looks good, I was able to get 5771. Screw those gravity bomb things there, I look forward to the second sector just to not see those again!

post-20057-126555580759_thumb.jpg

Edited by AB Positive

The adaptive difficulty is a feature, not copy protection if memory serves right. So the XEX version would still be essentially what you'd get on a legit disk.

About to give it my first go, wish me luck :P

EDIT: Wait, what are the rules? 7 ships as default?

Good luck or bad lol? Remember though friendly this is a competition!

If it makes you feel any better, my first try I scored a 12. Yes **12**!! I didn't realize you lose score for using your gun! I did manage around 1,500 after a bit of playing.

No I REALLY like this game, it's fantastic! You need to have a few goes as boy it seems fast after defender. Take the default options: FIVE lives. The skill levels move up from Cadet through to Champion after you complete the sub-sectors. I just noticed that you lose points for just shooting all the time, as my high score was more than my current score in the same go! Bob in and out and take stuff out, extra man every sector.

Managed 7,419 after several goes. Nice playing it on the 800 as explosions make use of the keyboard buzzer, kinda cool :cool:

post-19705-126556277544_thumb.jpg

None of those xex files appear to be working for my poor little 130XE! I get to the main screen, press start, and then blank screen. Nothing.....I tried all versions too!

EDIT: I got it working on my 800 (which will be raffled but hopefully I can get a high score before it goes away!) but I have a question: Is the game supposed to randomly send my ship careening into the front of the screen? I will be going at normal velocity until a seemingly random point and then my ship just launches forward with no abandon and I am not making it do it. I die every time that happens!

Figured it out! Those little black hole things pull you into their gravity fields!

9,289 9,942

Does anyone have an ATR which works on a real 800XL? I've tried a few from AtariOnline but can't get it going. The closest I've got is the V4 ATR which loads but has no joystick response once the game starts. The V4 xex doesn't work under MyPicoDOS. :(

Hmm wonder if it was ever on a Homesoft disk ... goes to check ...

EDIT: Yes on 153 but still needs to run under OS-B. Thank goodness for my 32 in 1.

EDIT 2: Man this game is mega tough !!! I've managed 2903 so far ! I guess Mr Price didn't like autofire then ? :)

Edited by spookt

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, .ATR VERSION 2 (CRACKED BY RAMSLAM) FROM ATARIONLINE WORKS FINE ON A STOCK 800XL, YOU HAVE TO PRESS START AFTER THE LOADER SCREEN (BUTTON WON'T WORK) THEN EVERYTHING IS FINE

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, THINK MY PC HAS DEVELOPED A FAULT :roll:

Does anyone have an ATR which works on a real 800XL? I've tried a few from AtariOnline but can't get it going. The closest I've got is the V4 ATR which loads but has no joystick response once the game starts. The V4 xex doesn't work under MyPicoDOS. :(

Hmm wonder if it was ever on a Homesoft disk ... goes to check ...

EDIT: Yes on 153 but still needs to run under OS-B. Thank goodness for my 32 in 1.

EDIT 2: Man this game is mega tough !!! I've managed 2903 so far ! I guess Mr Price didn't like autofire then ? :)

Original disk works on my 130XE so not sure why other versions are OS/B? Autofire is :twisted: on in the HSC ;) plus at -10 points a bullet it's not gonna help you much :D

I've had a weird thing happen, using orig disk on 800 worked ok for one session, next time I played intermittently getting a grey background and ship invisible except thrustings, several re-loads and the same, tried it on my 130XE today and same, reloaded and ok again... very weird but ok again for now [edit - not working again even after many reboots :x anyone else having this problem?] This it is playing up again :x on nearly every man :x :x I wonder if the copy protection is dodgy/wearing out and it thinks it is a copy and just occasionally reads the sector ok :? Several re-loads later and it's working again

Managed 9K, then getting into it 15,170 somehow (very frugal shooting) I got this on sector 2 although have reached sector 3 with less score, probably shot a few of those orb things at 500 each :)

post-19705-126563665448_thumb.jpg

p.s. c'mon Cebus ;)

Autofire is :twisted: on in the HSC ;) plus at -10 points a bullet it's not gonna help you much :D

Well, of course I wouldn't use autofire in the HSC :D Actually I don't think I have a joystick with autofire anymore. I was a bit of shock however when I noticed the score going down rapidly as I pupmed the fire button :ponder: Sheesh you mean I have to try to be *acurate* ? :(

Edited by spookt

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, .ATR VERSION 2 (CRACKED BY RAMSLAM) FROM ATARIONLINE WORKS FINE ON A STOCK 800XL, YOU HAVE TO PRESS START AFTER THE LOADER SCREEN (BUTTON WON'T WORK) THEN EVERYTHING IS FINE

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, THINK MY PC HAS DEVELOPED A FAULT :roll:

At least it's not your fault. Some people think the faults in the earth is earth's faults.

Made it to the city after the cave, but I kept shooting throughout so that my score isn't that high. I only had 6 points when I got to the caves. I bet the SAT aren't that bad in subtracting points. At least I beat champion in this screen shot.

post-16716-126570627621_thumb.jpg