IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Game 3: Tail of Beta Lyrae

JellE

woooo, gettin' into this one :D

blimey competition is coming from everywhere ;)

Good job I had another session at midnight and manged to complete the first sector :!:

post-19705-126571732816_thumb.jpg :P

... is that over 80k? Grargzorz... I'm going to be playing a lot more tonight!

Can't work with ATX files and the ATR doesn't run on my 800XL.

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, .ATR VERSION 2 (CRACKED BY RAMSLAM) FROM ATARIONLINE WORKS FINE ON A STOCK 800XL, YOU HAVE TO PRESS START AFTER THE LOADER SCREEN (BUTTON WON'T WORK) THEN EVERYTHING IS FINE

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, THINK MY PC HAS DEVELOPED A FAULT :roll:

At least it's not your fault. Some people think the faults in the earth is earth's faults.

Made it to the city after the cave, but I kept shooting throughout so that my score isn't that high. I only had 6 points when I got to the caves. I bet the SAT aren't that bad in subtracting points. At least I beat champion in this screen shot.

Here's an update: 4742. This time I didn't keep shooting so I got more points and didn't even reach the city. Some of the missiles go right through the rockets-- perhaps a bug in the emulator or in the game.

post-16716-12657745785_thumb.jpg

Here's an update: 4742. This time I didn't keep shooting so I got more points and didn't even reach the city. Some of the missiles go right through the rockets-- perhaps a bug in the emulator or in the game.

I've been working on a new turbo-basic game and have been experimenting with player missile graphics; the game was a bit slow so to 'speed up' the bullets I skipped every few positions when moving them. I'm starting to take more notice of how games are done and I think some games do this: Super Zaxxon was a good example and ttobl is too. This is quite neat here as you can shoot things through the tops of the mountains etc :)

atariksi did you try it on your 800? have you tried the homesoft ATR ? Fandal's xex works on my 130xe (took it down to a mydos disk - did a binary load from dos menu to run it. Note: It doesn't seem to work from mypico dos menu). It has slightly different shooting sounds, think the guns are a bit blocked! :)

mini table

1st therealbountybob 87,429 (ok only top as F. hasn't posted yet ;))

2nd cebus capucinis 19,498

3rd AB Positive 13,736

4th divya16 4,742

5th preppie!! 3,668

6th bluecat 2,906

7th spookt 2,903

8th roadrunner 2,472

9th goochman 1,755

10th jetset 1,500

p.s. no bombs goochman, you've gotta get in there and take 'em out ;)

23332! :D

Scored 30K last night but it takes me a dozen re-loads to get the game working properly! Worth checking out the other difficulty levels (press 1-6 on the title screen) as the game will loop though them and there are some nice things added... that you can destroy ;)

It looks like sector 5 is a points bonanza. The early sectors are hard and I think it might be best to concentrate on surviving more than killing stuff, though it's just too darn tempting to get down low and a pulsing ball thingy pulls you into a mountain :D

p.s. have updated the overall HSC table - any more corrections please let me know.

I agree, the first two subsectors (1st 'mountains' and 'caves' levels) are more about survival. I've taken to call the blackhole-ish pulsating things "Monkeyballs" for two reasons:

a) It's Funny

b) I watch too much Spoony Experiment (Marion! Watch out! It's those Monkeyballs Jimmie Walker told us about!)

Anyway, Monkeyballs are your big problem in the first subsector, the cave ceiling/floor is your biggest problem in subsector 2 - those and the 'random flyby' spaceships, the ones with the white cockpit looking thing on them.

I find the best way through SS1 is darting left and right near the top of the screen. With practice you can 'feel' when Monkeyball gravity starts hitting you.

SS2 onward seems to be more survivable the further right you are on screen. Some tight passages that go diagonally up or down require pushing back on your joystick with moving vertically so slow down your ship. It's hard, but with practice you can sort of see what I mean.

SS3 onwards actually seems to get easier for a bit, with 3-5 being a real scoring bonanza like TRBB said. However I'm still yet to hit the end of Sector 1 so he's better for advice from here on out. :)

You must be all kidding that you like this game... ;) I'm not going to play it anymore, it's a crap or not properly functioning in emulator.

post-3960-126597709902_thumb.png

Something is really goofy with this game. You can sometimes shoot through mountains and sometimes go through mountains. And sometimes it doesn't run:

post-16716-126599116504_thumb.jpg

I've been working on a new turbo-basic game and have been experimenting with player missile graphics; the game was a bit slow so to 'speed up' the bullets I skipped every few positions when moving them. I'm starting to take more notice of how games are done and I think some games do this: Super Zaxxon was a good example and ttobl is too. This is quite neat here as you can shoot things through the tops of the mountains etc :)

atariksi did you try it on your 800? have you tried the homesoft ATR ? Fandal's xex works on my 130xe (took it down to a mydos disk - did a binary load from dos menu to run it. Note: It doesn't seem to work from mypico dos menu). It has slightly different shooting sounds, think the guns are a bit blocked! :)

p.s. no bombs goochman, you've gotta get in there and take 'em out ;)

No, I haven't tried on A800 yet. That has a problem of cover not being fully shut (remember?). I decided to take the screw driver out after my last go at Defender. As far as the game skipping pixels to speed up bullets or spacecraft or other UFOs, there are better ways than to hit/miss collisions.

I think Goochman is used to two-button firing with some A7800 games, but I still vote for one-button joysticks over two and three (or hundred) button ones as it makes life simpler which devices like mice and joysticks are suppose to do. If more buttons is better, mine as well put balls on a keyboard and consider it a hundred button mouse.

You must be all kidding that you like this game... ;) I'm not going to play it anymore, it's a crap or not properly functioning in emulator.

Something is really goofy with this game. You can sometimes shoot through mountains and sometimes go through mountains. And sometimes it doesn't run:

• The Fandal xex version works fine on Atari800Win+4.0 and on real hardware when loaded directly from a DOS menu.
  • This version has a different shooting noise and 'I think' the collisions are slightly delayed, maybe the whole game is slightly slower and therefore easier :?: or more probably I'm going mad :o
  • Looks like none of the ATR versions work my 130xe, I guess it's one game who's copy protection was hard to crack! Some ATRs work on my 800 ok but have strange sounds and the music goes a bit off key! Some also default to seven lives so be sure to select 5 ;)
  • Preppie said the atarionline.pl (v2) ATR works on an 800XL see post #15
  • The Shooting through things is a feature of the game and can be used to destroy enemies behind mountain tops etc.
  • In my experience if you load the emulator first then load the the xex/atr file from the menu it usually works ok.
  • Sector 6 is virtually a bonus round no baddies and 7 is pretty easy too so there is a promised land of points if you can just survive ;) then there's the asteroid field, but I wont mention the asteroid field...

95,638post-19705-126605969963_thumb.jpg

trbb

mini table

1st therealbountybob 95,638

2nd AB Positive 23,332

3rd cebus capucinis 19,498

4th jetset 14,937

5th preppie!! 4,883

6th divya16 4,742

7th a8isa1 4,663

8th spookt 4,447

9th goochman 3,454

10th mapa 3,064

11th bluecat 2,906

12th roadrunner 2,472

any corrections please post

mini table

1st therealbountybob 95,638

2nd AB Positive 23,332

3rd cebus capucinis 19,498

4th jetset 14,937

5th preppie!! 4,883

6th divya16 4,742

7th a8isa1 4,663

8th goochman 3,454

9th mapa 3,064

10th bluecat 2,906

11th spookt 2,903

12th roadrunner 2,472

any corrections please post

Here's a correction:

post-16716-126614119762_thumb.jpg

Finally disciplined myself ( :ponder: ) to stay out of it on the first sector; I stayed above and nipped in for easy kils where there was space to pull up if a 'monkey-ball' came on... made it right through to second level but then got splatted! I think the first sector is the hardest so try and make it to the caves folks.

113,532 :)

post-19705-12664258826_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to vote for the next game ;)