IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

I still loving reading this thread over. It cracks me up every time. I reminds me of certain kids I knew back in middle school/jr high who would have these brillant ideas, but no way to execute them. As much as you would try to convince them they were wrong, they would never let go.

I still loving reading this thread over. It cracks me up every time. I reminds me of certain kids I knew back in middle school/jr high who would have these brillant ideas, but no way to execute them. As much as you would try to convince them they were wrong, they would never let go.

I think it's safe to say he's let go!

I actually feel bad for the guy; I was full of unrealistic dreams at that age too, and was pretty resistant to logical explanations of why they were unrealistic. I shudder to think if those conversations had been immortalized on the Internet...

That said, if there ever is a Knight Rider 2600, I think the manual needs a centerfold.

david-hasselhoff-img_2.jpg

--Will

You don't have to be deranged or gay to have a healthy man love for the Hoff. Sometimes love is juicy. :D

...says the one who loves E.T. :ponder:

E.T. is what you get if you shave the Hoff from head to toe. Have you ever noticed that the Hoff and E.T. are never seen in the same room together? Now you know why.

You don't have to be deranged or gay to have a healthy man love for the Hoff. Sometimes love is juicy. :D

...says the one who loves E.T. :ponder:

E.T. is what you get if you shave the Hoff from head to toe. Have you ever noticed that the Hoff and E.T. are never seen in the same room together? Now you know why.

:o

You're the expert.

I actually feel bad for the guy; I was full of unrealistic dreams at that age too, and was pretty resistant to logical explanations of why they were unrealistic. I shudder to think if those conversations had been immortalized on the Internet...

Well, thanks to this thread, our friend HardWork has now become the classic textbook example of the misguided game designer wannabee: he picked a completely unrealistic idea as his first project, dove into it with hubristic bravado without really knowing what he was doing, evaded the responsibility of accomplishing something concrete by talking big and trying to do all the easy stuff first, and was completely immune to persuasion to the point of being laughingly ridiculous. These are all common newbie pitfalls, and before HardWork came along they had to be explained in an abstract way, but think of how much more useful and persuasive it is to now have a prototypical example of one person who committed all of them as egregiously as possible.

In his case, the problem wasn't so much that he had big dreams, but that he failed to put in the extra effort to adequately ground them in reality. After making such a simple mistake as boldly and as publicly as he did, he really can't complain about our having fun at his expense over it. That's one reason why I'm glad this thread is still around some seven years later: it serves as a powerful negative example to others who might otherwise embarrass themselves in the same way. I explained it this way to another member in a somewhat similar context:

Ideas are a dime a dozen (figuratively speaking, of course; their actual value is exactly one dime less than that). Coming up with cool ideas is easy: I've got lots of cool ideas that I think would work great on the 7800. But I realized that, if I spend all of my energy talking about them, or asking other people to do all the hard work for me, or thinking about cool company names or label/box designs before I've written a single line of code, I'd be stuck forever in the land of "wouldn't it be nice."

Most classic gaming enthusiasts who have come here with game ideas of their own never got beyond that point, either because they didn't know what to do with their ideas or because they weren't willing to put in the work required to transform them from daydreams into realities. At some point, you've just got to break out the tools and the literature, and challenge yourself to learn the 7800 system and how to develop for it. And if you decide along the way that you can't do it, you can then redirect your energies toward something you can do before you waste any more time and effort pursuing the impossible.

In either case, daydreaming isn't nearly as satisfying as showing the world what you can do. Having big dreams is important, especially when you're young, but they're not enough. You also need to be thinking in realistic, hard-headed ways about how you plan to achieve them and what you're willing to do to get what you claim to want; if you don't, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment later in life.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Hardwork is still online? I know a couple years ago he was noted to have made a few stints on other websites.

Apparently he hasn't posted since 1/3/2006 and hasn't visited AtariAge since 10/29/2006. However, he did get published in EGM, as you may remember:

post-3819-126233535908_thumb.jpg

I've mentioned this before, but has anyone ever tried to contact him with the Email address that was provided in the EGM article?

I've mentioned this before, but has anyone ever tried to contact him with the Email address that was provided in the EGM article?

I couldn't resist the temptation, so I just sent him a quick note at that e-mail address:

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that all your friends on AtariAge are still eagerly awaiting Knight Rider for the 2600. If you and the Kinko's guy need any help, you just let us know; we're all warm to BASIC, and we're no dummies!

I probably shouldn't have done it from my personal mail account, but what the hell ... I don't think anybody's actually checking that mailbox these days anyway.

If they don't want you do do it, why do they call it 'her ass mint'? Sounds kind of disgusting and delicious at the same time.

:?

I wouldn't call it harassment. He submitted that e-mail address to be published in a magazine, and this was my one and only time writing him. Besides, I think he owes us an explanation after getting us all excited like that.

• 2 months later...