IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Can we have the option to manually choose the output folder (i.e. not be limited to the temp or source folder). It would be great to have target files on a mounted folder not full of temporary system files but also shared between different projects.

What would be the right granularity? The current options are global for an installation, that's why I chose the symbolic value "Source" and "Temp". Adding a dedicated folder to the options would be simple, but I think then you would have to o and change it over and over again. Some time ago I though about the following: Before compiling "Example.asm" the IDE checks if there is an "Example.asm.compiler" file also in which you can specfiy values which overrule single global settings like compile options and output path.

What do you think?

What would be the right granularity? The current options are global for an installation, that's why I chose the symbolic value "Source" and "Temp". Adding a dedicated folder to the options would be simple, but I think then you would have to o and change it over and over again. Some time ago I though about the following: Before compiling "Example.asm" the IDE checks if there is an "Example.asm.compiler" file also in which you can specfiy values which overrule single global settings like compile options and output path.

What do you think?

If I explain my setup and why it would be useful:

I have Atari800WinPlus set up with a mounted PC folder as "H:". This is the drive I run my test executables from. I have many different subfolders in "Workspace", however, so it's not convenient to compile to source folder, since that would require constant re-setting of the "H:" drive in the emulator. The "temp" option is therefore the one I use (so that whichever project I compile, the XEX ends up on the "H:" drive). However, the temp folder ends up being cluttered with a load of windows temporary files, so it's not the most convenient target folder.

If I could compile to, say, "C:\Program Files\Atari800Win\Hard Disk", I can't imagine having to "change it over and over again".

Nothing wrong with your suggested solution (although it's not as easy to set up), but given you can specify the absolute path to the emulator and compiler, then why not also to the XEX target folder?

Edited by flashjazzcat

then why not also to the XEX target folder?

Hi Jon, that I'll add anyway ;-) The only question was if the additional option to override it (optionally!) per top-level source file would be helpful. I remember I had some cases where I wanted to change some of the compiler options also. In the very beginning I had though about using project specfic preferences for that this, but it was too cumbersome - any I only use a single project anyway :-).

Hi Jon, that I'll add anyway icon_winking.gif The only question was if the additional option to override it (optionally!) per top-level source file would be helpful. I remember I had some cases where I wanted to change some of the compiler options also. In the very beginning I had though about using project specfic preferences for that this, but it was too cumbersome - any I only use a single project anyway :-).

Those additional, project specific settings might be useful, but I'll be happy once you've added that low-level, system-wide option. I have about half a dozen projects on the go at once, so it'll be a real boost! Thanks. :)

I only updated to 1.4.2 last night, but I had a heck of a time because something in my 1.4.0 project folders was screwing it up. Eventually I created a brand new workspace (with projects hand-copied across) with a fresh install of Eclipse and finally got it working.

• 1 month later...

WUDSN IDE 1.4.3 released

I have summarized the new features and updates with more information on http://www.wudsn.com.

As always you can install the update via the menu "Help/Software Updates...".

Bye, JAC!

Features:

•  
  • The compiler output directory mode in the preferences now also allows the specification of a fixed folder to simplify cases where you for example compile into the hard disk emulation folder without creating disk images. I hope Jonathan will be happy with it :-)
  • The graphics editor can now also save images as ".bmp", ".gif" and ".jpg"
  • The graphics editor supports relative file paths. If the file path is in the same folder as the ".cnv" file, it it automatically converted to a relative file path when the file name is defaulted or picked from the file browser dialog. This allows to move the ".cnv" file and the referenced source files around together without breaking the saved paths
  • The hex editor now displays the file length and file mode in separate fields
  • The hex editor now has auto detection support for the following file types and allows explicit switching between them, in case the it is possible: binary file, Atari COM files (with blocks), Atari ATR disk image (with sectors). It detects the cases when the file type does not match at all and the case when only the end of the file if corrupted
  • The hex editor context menu now has entries to copy the marked file section to the clipboard in different formats: hex values (".byte $01,$02,..."), decimal values (".byte 1,2,...") and ASCII string. This is very helpful to turn parts of a file into source code. The possibility to copy/paste into the binary file itself in order to modify is prepared but not working yet and will be completed later
  • Upon request of Nick Westgate, one of the developers of the Java based Apple 2 emulator Java-ACE - the new platform "Apple 2" has been added. The current extensions are only stubs for Nick to start, but I'm really looking forward to his contribution

Fixes:

•  
  • The output file is not opened anymore in case it has been there before but was not updated by the compiler due to compiler errors
  • The scroll bar and cursor in the editor are now stable also in the cases when the outline is changed by the latest user input
  • The hex editor now get the focus correctly also when clicking on already opened files
  • The XHTML errors on the web site have been cleaned up

The compiler output directory mode in the preferences now also allows the specification of a fixed folder to simplify cases where you for example compile into the hard disk emulation folder without creating disk images. I hope Jonathan will be happy with it :-)

Jonathan's extremely happy with that. :) Can't wait to test the new version!

fdsldfksldkflskd;lfksl;d

sfsdfs

gsfdgfd

ble ble comment

lda   ldx   ldy   sta   stx   sty   adc   and

asl   sbc   jsr   jmp   lsr   ora   cmp   cpy

cpx   dec   inc   eor   rol   ror   brk   clc

cli   clv   cld   php   plp   pha   pla   rti

rts   sec   sei   sed   iny   inx   dey   dex

txa   tya   txs   tay   tax   tsx   nop   bpl

bmi   bne   bcc   bcs   beq   bvc   bvs   bit

stz   sep   rep   trb   tsb   bra   cop   mvn

mvp   pea   phb   phd   phk   phx   phy   plb

pld   plx   ply   rtl   stp   tcd   tcs   tdc

tsc   txy   tyx   wai   wdm   xba   xce   dea

ina   brl   jsl   jml[/code]

equ   opt   org   ins   dta   icl   run   ext

ini   ift   eli   els   eif   ert   smb   blk

sin   rnd   end

req   rne   rpl   nmb   rmb   lmb   del   ded

rmi   rcc   rcs   rvc   rvs   seq   sne   spl

smi   scc   scs   svc   svs    jeq   jne   jpl

jmi   jcc   jcs   jvc   jvs   ext   add   sub

mva   mvx   mvy   mwa   mwx   mwy   inw   dew

adw   sbw   phr   plr   adb   sbb   inl   ind

cpb   cpw   cpl   cpd

.macro .endm   .proc   .endp   .rept   .endr   .exit

.local .endl   .struct .ends   .error  .print  .if

.else  .elseif .endif  .byte   .word   .long   .dword

.or    .and    .xor    .not    .ds     .db     .dw

.def   .array  .enda   .hi     .lo     .get    .put

.sav    .pages    .endpg  .reloc  .extrn  .public .var

.reg    .while    .endw   .by     .wo     .he     .en

.sb    .test    .endt   .lend    .endw

.pend    .aend    .wend   .tend   .send   .fl     .symbol

.link  .global .globl  .adr    .len    .mend   .pgend

.rend  .using  .use    .echo   .align  .zpvar  .enum

.ende  .eend   .elif

AMEN!!!

A Wonderful Example of Vogon Poetry.

= )

(...gnaws off own limbs...) 

lol.

• 1 month later...

Extended Hyperlink Navigation

Hi there,

Just a little sign of life from me and a little teaser. After all the changes in the past version I came closer and closer to what has been on my todo list ever since I started with the IDE. Yesterday I realized that now almost everthing I need is there (source parser, mini syntax tree, parsing of includes). So I sat down at 19:00 pm and went to bed at 03:00 and created: The hyperlink navigation to any label, equate, procedure or macro via simple Ctrl-click. The alorithm searches though possibly matching ideitifiers including those from include files. It is really stunning how fast you can go to the right source location in the right file with this feature even in large projects.

Goodbye "Ctrl-F" for navigation ;)

post-17404-127792421131_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know you are waiting for the next release but I had to clean up and update the site first. Visit http://www.wudsn.com to read the updated installation guide, new FAQs and the short story about my first 64 bytes release.

Thanks to all the people a Fujiama for their feedback - and for using WUDSN IDE now ;-)

Be prepared: The next update will be the last version which runs on an Eclipse version less than 3.6.0. The new Eclipse version will allow me to fix some UI shortcomings and also includes block selection mode. But don't worry. Updating Eclipse is as simple as unzipping a file to a folder and all you files and settings in the workspace will remain.

Hi,

I know you are waiting for the next release but I had to clean up and update the site first. Visit http://www.wudsn.com to read the updated installation guide, new FAQs and the short story about my first 64 bytes release.

Thanks to all the people a Fujiama for their feedback - and for using WUDSN IDE now ;-)

Be prepared: The next update will be the last version which runs on an Eclipse version less than 3.6.0. The new Eclipse version will allow me to fix some UI shortcomings and also includes block selection mode. But don't worry. Updating Eclipse is as simple as unzipping a file to a folder and all you files and settings in the workspace will remain.

still can not wait...

btw. never realised that you are mentioning me on your website in the Visdom 1 part... ;) but it is true. you had a influence on my work... and for the Atari scene I guess the Visdom 2 is the one with more influence... with the Pre-HIP effect including scrolling plus the whiggle with a lot of colors and cycle exact changes...

• 3 weeks later...

So, waiting is over ;-)

WUDSN IDE 1.4.4 released

Here it comes, the last version of WUDSN IDE which is downwards compatible Eclipse 3.4.2. All subsequent versions will require Eclipse 3.6.0 at least. Of course you can already update Eclipse to version 3.6.0 now to benefit from the new features like block selection mode.

Features: See the tab "Features" on WUDSN IDE for screen shots

•  
  • Forward navigation via "control-click" hyperlink navigation to labels, equates, local definitions, macro definitions and procedure definitions. In case there is only one target, direct navigation takes place. In case there is more than one possible target, the type and line number of the target are displayed in a hyperlink popup. All included source files are also taken into account like in the content outline. In case there are targets from different files, the file name is also displayed as differentiator in the hyperlink popup.
  • The archive containing all supported Atari compilers has been updated with the latest versions of ATASM 1.7.0 and MADS 1.9.0 for all platforms, XASM for Mac OS X and ATASM for Linux 64-bit. See the section "Installation" for details
  • The new ATASM 1.7.0 directive ".BANKNUM" is now included in content assist and highlighting
  • Preferences for compilers and applications are now internally stored separately for every supported hardware (Apple, Atari, C64). The existing preferences are migrated automatically upon the first start of the new version. I have tested the migration to a certain extend but there might be cases where you have to set some preferences again after the upgrade

Fixes:

• The directive ".LOCAL" in ATASM is a normal directive now and does not start a folding section while in MADS it is really is a folding section from ".LOCAL" to ".ENDL"
  • "SIN()" and "RND()" in MADS are now recognized correctly even if there are no spaces before or after the directive
  • ".EN" and ."END" in MADS are now recognized correctly
  • Labels in "ORG" lines are now recognized correctly and rendered as separate tree entries
  • Preferences for lower/upper case instructions in content assist are now also evaluated if the for directives which do not start with letters like ".end"
  • When opening a file which is located outside of the workspace, the action to open folders and to compile the file are now not doing anything and will not cause exceptions. They will also be disabled once the new Eclipse version is mandatory
  • The 16 bytes per row in the hex editor are now separated by a space

Site:

• New FAQ "How to run a makefile script instead of an emulator?" added

Any positive or negative feedback? I'd like to make sure this version is OK before I move on to Eclipse 3.6 icon_winking.gif

No problems so far: just the syntax highlighting disappearing when you save a file under a different name (close and reload fixes it). That's not unique to this version, though.

I've just experienced the old problem - while setting up MADS under Mac OS X - of "*.S" files trying to be compiled with a non-existent Apple II compiler. I associated "*.S" as a "MADS source file", but I couldn't get the thing to compile. However, after then associating "*.SSS" as a MADS source file and renaming my source file appropriately, I was able to compile successfully. Note that I use ATASM and MADS in the same set-up, and I managed to fix this in my Windows install but I can't remember how. It's as if it has a problem with single-character extenders...?

EDIT: It's OK - I fixed it. Apparently by adding a second file association for MADS, I also fixed the first one. Not sure how but it works.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi,

The IDE comes with 1 content type (and file extension) per editor. Also after installation, every extension is registered to a single editor. ".S" default editor is the Apple II editor. You can change the default by adding the editor as possible editor for ".S" and then set it as default.

In addition you can at any time one any file with any of the previously used or any other editor via the "Open With" context menu. Eclipse will remember the editor last used for the file. This way you can have ".asm" files which are opened with ATASM and other ".asm" files which are opened with MADS automatically. So no need to rename something normally.

post-17404-128436131756_thumb.png

post-17404-128436138365_thumb.png

post-17404-128436146583_thumb.png

Hi,

The IDE comes with 1 content type (and file extension) per editor. Also after installation, every extension is registered to a single editor. ".S" default editor is the Apple II editor. You can change the default by adding the editor as possible editor for ".S" and then set it as default.

In addition you can at any time one any file with any of the previously used or any other editor via the "Open With" context menu. Eclipse will remember the editor last used for the file. This way you can have ".asm" files which are opened with ATASM and other ".asm" files which are opened with MADS automatically. So no need to rename something normally.

Nice! Thanks Peter - I say again this tool is just brilliant beyond words. :)

No problems so far: just the syntax highlighting disappearing when you save a file under a different name (close and reload fixes it). That's not unique to this version, though.

I had experienced this too from time to time, but I didn't realize when excatly it happens. Thanks to your comment I found and fixed the issue now. The fix will be in the next version.

Edited by peter.dell

I'm trying to get it to work on my mac, but I'm getting the error : Path to 'ATASM' compiler executable is not set in the preferences.

This error is right, I didn't configure it for atasm since I only (want to) use the mads...Isn't this possible, or am doing something wrong ?

Thanks !