IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Ethernet and Contiki - Want your help!

Cybernoid

• 1 month later...

For german Users: http://www.embedded-projects.net/index.php?module=artikel&action=artikel&id=91

I think for Development we can use the Module by using a CartidgePort-Interface PCB. With the Module, we can change easy to a PBI-Interface in the future.

Can anyone produce a little edition of these CartidgePort-Interface PCBs incl. the 74LS138, ready to use with the CS9800-Module?

@rchennau:

A solution based on Arduino can be a nice thing, but more expensive. I be very lucky when i found A8-Extensions that are under 50€ to buy.

An µC-Driven Ethernet-Interface (with own Buffer-Memory) seems make possible to put some TCP/IP-Stack-Function to this external Device, like the Floppydisk-Station (e.g. 1050) and so make the A8-Driver more light.

Edited by EightBitWitch

Progress has been slow but I am happy to report the we now have a working prototype using the IP Dragon II board!!

post-9166-127864667218_thumb.jpg

I will update the site with site with some more pictures and a schematic / info as soon as I can. After I get a few more hooked up and into the hands of some programmers, I will design a printed circuit board that can accept the IP DragonII boards.

atari8ethernet

Edited by puppetmark
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

whats new on this project?

I just received a few more IP Dragon Boards today. We should have working prototypes to the programmers very soon. While they do there thing, I will design a finished board for the IP Dragon board. Also, I should have an updated schematic posted on the site in a few days.

Progress has been slow but I am happy to report the we now have a working prototype using the IP Dragon II board!!

I will update the site with site with some more pictures and a schematic / info as soon as I can. After I get a few more hooked up and into the hands of some programmers, I will design a printed circuit board that can accept the IP DragonII boards.

atari8ethernet

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? iet8900-51_350.JPGImage showing a customized connector layout

From their web page->http://www.invector.se/iet8900.asp

Edited by Defender II

Would it be possible for you to make your pcb layout using the IP Dragon II with the pins on the other side to reduce the configuration to fit more easily into a cart case? iet8900-51_350.JPGImage showing a customized connector layout

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Thanks for the input. suggestions are always welcome.

Good thought. The IP dragon boards I just received came with the header pins unsoldered so it would certainly be possible to have the pins on top. I think that's what the developers of the apple ethernet cart did. Fitting it into an exsisting cart would be way cool.

Ack, sorry I did not realize they'd come unsoldered. I'll make sure that Pontus knows we need the ready-to-go version next time.

No problem, I like to help out whenever I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked on the Invector website which is listed as the source for purchasing the IP Dragon II and, while there is information about this board, there is no listing for it on the sales page, only for the CS8900A controller itself.

This makes me wonder, is the IP Dragon II board still available?

Bill

I checked on the Invector website which is listed as the source for purchasing the IP Dragon II and, while there is information about this board, there is no listing for it on the sales page, only for the CS8900A controller itself.

This makes me wonder, is the IP Dragon II board still available?

Bill

Yes, its still available, but you have to contact him as his site's not very up to date. We will be ordering quite a few this winter. You have to specifically request the 5v version.

Edited by danwinslow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I just want to know when this will be ready for pre-order

hardware wise, I am hoping to have the boards ready for production by the end of this year. The board design is almost done but I needs to be tested. It looks like the software may a little longer, and I can't reallly say when that will be ready since I am not the one doing the coding. I can tell you that the goal is to have a reliable, working ethernet interface with some good software in the first half of 2011.

I wonder if a version of Contiki can be written for the 7800 XM. Downloadable content for Atari games! Woo hoo! icon_lust.gif

As long as the card can be mapped into the 7800 memory space, and there is enough RAM available, a version of contiki should be possible.

So what's going to be possible? I hear 'telnet' being bandied about a lot, but the only systems I'd want to connect to remotely like that would be ssh or nothing. What else is runnable? ftp/sftp? gopher? www?

what I know of being worked on now:

- Text based web browser

- Webserver

- Telnet client

- Email client

What is possible for the future:

-FTP client

-IRC client

-Multi-player game support

I am hoping once the hardware is finished that others will do some coding for it. There is a lot of potential here, and as I have said before, this is something the 8-bit Atari has needed for some time.

Edited by puppetmark

So what's going to be possible? I hear 'telnet' being bandied about a lot, but the only systems I'd want to connect to remotely like that would be ssh or nothing. What else is runnable? ftp/sftp? gopher? www?

what I know of being worked on now:

- Text based web browser

- Webserver

- Telnet client

- Email client

What is possible for the future:

-FTP client

-IRC client

-Multi-player game support

I am hoping once the hardware is finished that others will do some coding for it. There is a lot of potential here, and as I have said before, this is something the 8-bit Atari has needed for some time.

Oh that's awesome news. I might even look into porting a MUD client. Wouldn't that be a kick?