IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Lol! My edited version.

Can you post some structured pseudocode that describes the implementation of the current Event Handler?

It seems to me that Streamlining the Event Handler, Employing Interrupts, and Utilizing Player-Missile Graphics should be considered deeply at this juncture.

You have a lot of time on your hands.

That Edward Hau link is not accessible from my pesky work network. :(. I'll try again at home.

It was a nice to read.

- Perhaps you have a Great Future at Reader's Digest, or Classics Illustrated? Just joking, but now I have a new-found empathy for writers that complain of Merciless Editors, lol.

- I didn't want to come off in any way that could be misconstrued as being rude. Besides, all of those words were well-considered, to help to achieve specific objectives. Then again, now I'm endlessly pondering: If Nietzsche could have Hyperlinked to Bugs Bunny in Beyond Good & Evil... would he have?

- Then, just use any other search engine to look up Edward Hau. Imagery is just cool because it has a lot of zoom features that other Image Search Engines don't have.

haha, too much time on my hands, you're the one reading AtariAge at work... lol. Ha, seriously though, thank the Brilliant Minds of American Business Management for the concepts of Downsizing, Outsourcing, and Offshoring. Thank India too, while you're at it. We can all sing along, to the tune of "

"... lol.

Glad that you enjoyed it.

haha, too much time on my hands, you're the one reading AtariAge at work... lol. Ha, seriously though, thank the Brilliant Minds of American Business Management for the concepts of Downsizing, Outsourcing, and Offshoring. Thank India too, while you're at it. We can all sing along, to the tune of "

"... lol.

Yep.. I'd much rather speak to a person in india who knows what they are doing, cares about their job, and has more qualifications than their payscale, than talk to an overpaid American with less qualifications, who does the absolute minimum to scate by and grab a paycheck each week, and in reality, couldnt give a rat's ass about any issue I may be having..

This country is F*CKED, and the only thing that's gonna save it is if people REALIZE that we as Americans need to PRODUCE on the same scale as the rest of the world and stop DEMANDING 3-4 times what our work is actually worth.

Astounding. icon_smile.gif It's encouraging too - it just shows that it can be done. I'm gonna read up some more in that one: it's a nice looking GUI.

I didn't want to come off in any way that could be misconstrued as being rude. Besides, all of those words were well-considered, to help to achieve specific objectives. Then again, now I'm endlessly pondering: If Nietzsche could have Hyperlinked to Bugs Bunny in Beyond Good & Evil... would he have?

Don't worry: not taken the wrong way. I'm just conscious that all you're getting is a bunch of videos which seem to create a bubble which must surely burst somewhere down the line. But fear not: I have the surface tension well under control. How's that for a tortured analogy...

I checked the event handler code last night and was quite surprised that the whole thing - including all the code which handles the menus (not the code which sets them up initially, though), the message dispatcher, stuff which translates mouse and button actions into events, etc, consumes less than 500 lines of assembler (roughly 1KB).

I have a particular way of working, which occasionally involves heavy kludging, which - once the functionality is perfected - is then magically transformed into logical, well-structured and efficient code. My mind's in several places at once at the moment (and not just concentrating on this project); in terms of the GUI, every piece of code I write is considered in terms of the bigger picture, and the impact it will have in terms of speed and efficiency further up or down the line. The nice thing about OOP is that it's so fantastically modular, it's very easy to intuit the ramifications of heavy code (not that there is any, of course icon_smile.gif ).

Edited by flashjazzcat

"... lol.

Yep.. I'd much rather speak to a person in india who knows what they are doing, cares about their job, and has more qualifications than their payscale, than talk to an overpaid American with less qualifications, who does the absolute minimum to scate by and grab a paycheck each week, and in reality, couldnt give a rat's ass about any issue I may be having..

This country is F*CKED, and the only thing that's gonna save it is if people REALIZE that we as Americans need to PRODUCE on the same scale as the rest of the world and stop DEMANDING 3-4 times what our work is actually worth.

"....who knows what they are doing, cares about their job". And where have you found this jackalope?

• Like 1

"... lol.

"....who knows what they are doing, cares about their job". And where have you found this jackalope?

Ive never seen a SINGLE INSTANCE to the contrary.. It's hardly a "jackalope"..

The reason they care about their job is that there are 1000 more (equally overqualified) people who would take it in a heartbeat if they do not perform it to the best possible standarfds. They consider themselves fortunate to have the job. Companies in places like India and China are not crippled by redicoulus laws in favor of the employee, or even worse, unions.

It's truly a "jackalope" in this coutry. It is not over there.. This is why outsouricing is advantageous to companies. If this were not the case, it would not be. If what you want is simply CHEAPER labor, then why not outsource to Mexico? The point is that on average, you can get a guy with a degree in India to do the same job for the same price (or often much less)that it would cost to get someone with a highschool diploma here.. And the guy in India will consider himself damn lucky to have the job, and do everything he can to excel at it. People here act like it's their god-given right, and won't lift a finger to do anything they are not forced to do. And if you try to get them to improve by imposing disciplinary measures, all they have to do is whine to a multitude of government agencies, or their labor union, and the employer is forced to back off. This makes it cost many times MORE to produce anything or provide any decent service here in the states. If you can not bring said product or service to market at a competitive price, you go out of business. This is reality.

You have to remember that we live in a WORLD ECONOMY now, not a localized one. Our people consume 10 times what we as a nation produce. This means that the comapnies that are based here have to be price competitive with companies all over the world. This is also reality.

Americans will not "buy American" if it costs twice as much. This has been proven time and again. But yet they seem to think they are entitled to twice the payscale of anyone else in the world, and any requirement to increase/improve their productivity has a corresponding requirement of additional pay/benefits. This does not compute where business finances are concerned. It's obvious to any first-semester economics student why we are "losing out" to other countries on the job front.

If your grandparents are still alive, ask them about the 1940s.. Ask them if they were concerned about whether on not they had the same pay/benefits as the guy down the street who was doing the same job they were.. Ask them if they were concerned about whether or not they could afford the same number (or grade) of vehicles as their neighbor.. Or whether or not they could afford the latest toys for their children to play with. During that time, the vast majority of americans were focused on performing their job/duty to the utmost of their abilitiy, for the good of the country, regarldless of all these things we consider "rights" nowadayze.. And we absolutley KICKED ASS... Since then, we have enjoyed a period of prosperity unlike any in the history of the modern world.. And we have developed an UTTERLY REDICUOLOUS sense of self entitlement that cannot EXIST long term in the modern world.. This is the truth.. and anyone with half a brain knows it.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Astounding. icon_smile.gif It's encouraging too - it just shows that it can be done. I'm gonna read up some more in that one: it's a nice looking GUI.

Did you look at SymbOS?

Yes - I stumbled on that one a month or so back. Really amazing work - it took the author years to write, and there's still no text editor. icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

Don't lecture me about my country, I'm an Eagle Scout, and I will be for all of my life. I used to think of you as a smart fellow, and a nice guy. Perhaps, instead of pretending to be some sort of well-studied, all-knowing Prophet of Doom, you should look into studying Lord Baden-Powell's Scout Law, Scout Oath, and Scout Motto, and get yourself together, man... What kind of countryman, of any country, can downplay & disregard all of his countrymen in such sweeping, generalized terms, while citing superiority to a foreign entity?!? I'm very disappointed in you.

Don't lecture me about my country, I'm an Eagle Scout, and I will be for all of my life. I used to think of you as a smart fellow, and a nice guy. Perhaps, instead of pretending to be some sort of well-studied, all-knowing Prophet of Doom, you should look into studying Lord Baden-Powell's Scout Law, Scout Oath, and Scout Motto, and get yourself together, man... What kind of countryman, of any country, can downplay & disregard all of his countrymen in such sweeping, generalized terms, while citing superiority to a foreign entity?!? I'm very disappointed in you.

I'm not citing supererority in any sense.. Im pointing out what is blatently OBVIOUS... Not that americans are inferior.. But that we expect THE WORLD to pay us many times more than anyone else for any given level of productivity..

Im not generalizing either. Like it or not, we have written these anti-commerce principles into LAW, formed labor unions, etc.. I'm not saying tehre arent people out there who are worth their pay. But you can not expect a large corporation to operate at twice the expense of their competitiors, while charging the same price for what they produce.

I see you never took economics.. Look at the US Auto manufacturers, if you want an undeniable example..

I dont know where you get that "prophet of doom" crap. Im simply stating the truth, as its reflected in black & white.. And I dont care what kind of boyscout you are, if you live in a state of denial of reality. What BUILT everything you see around you is commerce.. and we have sabotaged it for ourselves..

Last thing I'll say is that the scout law is fine and dandy as guideline for being a respectful person.. But it's the SCOUT OATH, and SCOUT SLOGAN that people need to seriously consider these days, and without applying any additional conditions..

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country...

Do a good turn daily...

(well, as long as Im being compensated at what I consider a fair wage for every single bit of it, anyway...)

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Did you look at SymbOS?

Really amazing work - it took the author years to write, and there's still no text editor. icon_smile.gif

Strange... especially considering how well developed it is in all other respects. I guess it's all about presentation and playing, as I don't see any such productivity applications (spreadsheet, contact database, paint, drawing...). The do have a browser though...

Did you look at SymbOS?

Really amazing work - it took the author years to write, and there's still no text editor. icon_smile.gif

Strange... especially considering how well developed it is in all other respects. I guess it's all about presentation and playing, as I don't see any such productivity applications (spreadsheet, contact database, paint, drawing...). The do have a browser though...

Maybe he couldn't get the client area of the text editor to redraw fast enough. ;)

Did you look at SymbOS?

I had seen SymbOS before, but never really took the time to examine it very closely until yesterday.

Thanks for posting the link. It helped spawn one good idea (indirectly) and helped justify the exclusion of another idea that we had previously been considering.

We have a difference of opinion, and that is all. I won't pollute this beautiful thread with the excess verbiage of an ongoing argument, nor will I litter it with counter-argument. ...However, through necessity, this won't be short & sweet. Ken has just as much right to an opinion as I do, and I apologize for putting him on the spot. Surely, under other circumstances, I may have reacted otherwise. I'll leave my copy of "The Collected Works of Voltaire" out for you, in case you were here for the entertainment... So, instead, I will make a statement, of my own personal experience, and leave it at that.

I have driven both coasts, and taken two highway routes across my country, met many Americans, from East to West, and seen the beauty of my country, its mountains, rivers, lakes, shores, and plains. AtariAge is a polycultural community, and I am very willing to be an ambassador of the American People, and the beauty of the Terrain that we live upon. I would like everyone, in every country to know that the Land & the People of America are not equivalent to the current Government and the Media, and how they Represent & Present us, to ourselves, and to the world at large.

If one preoccupies himself with corruption & filth, urban decay & violence, it acts as blinders to the beauty that is all around, waiting to be appreciated. I have, of course, seen the cities, in both their splendor and despair, I have seen the very rich and the very poor, and all of the shades that lie between them. I have seen both the greatest elations, and the greatest sadnesses. It is not the American People, as we are, in all cases, prisoners of the whims of the elite, and their media mouthpieces.

It is not the American People, and it is not the Land of America, and it is not the Country of the United States of America that has defined the Geopolitical, National, & Economic decisions. What it is, is the creeping manifestation of the Very Thing that leaves Thomas Jefferson perpetually rolling in his grave, and, for the moment, I will leave this Very Thing to your esteemed imaginations, if only out of prudence, with regard for what our future may hold.

I am now very sure, despite what I was taught in grade-school, of what the actual, individual citizens in Russia & Germany watched, powerlessly, happen before their eyes, as their rights were slowly stripped, and subtly modified. As their corrupt and power-mad leaders utilized propaganda, through mass communications, to influence the weak, and turn them upon their neighbors. As economies were manipulated, and set upon a perpetual war-footing.

It is Eternal Recurrence, slowly 'perfected', on an exponential curve, upon each of it's cycles.

These people saw the rivers, mountains, streams, the Beauty of their country's land, just as surely. These people knew laughter, and the good nature of their folk, just as surely. They knew love, and tears, and pain. They were Human. It did not take very long for history to paint them all as World-Villains, complicit in the actions of their leadership. It has been made very convenient to overlook the concept that any form of resistance, in a 'modern' state of paramilitary police, bullets, billyclubs, & bayonets, will be met with surveillance, violence, imprisonment, then, finally, death.

History repeats itself so often that it is trite.

Our System of Checks and Balances has been manipulated, the Electoral Vote silences the people's voice, The Politically Correct are the New Party Line, the New World Order is 'The Voice of World Control', the supposed schism of "Liberal" vs. "Conservative" merely serves to divide National Unity into weakened factions, and Everything that our Founding Fathers stood for has been perverted & twisted. Is this what you mean when you deride Americans? I, for one, and I may stand alone, do not Deride America, and I do not Deride my Countrymen. I deride that Very Thing... & that Very Thing is Tyranny.

& this, my friend, is me "Doing my Best, to do my Duty, to God, & My Country", in the best way that I see fit, under the current circumstances that my country faces.

In closing, let us both take our hands, covering the "B" in "God Bless America", and shake, for a better tomorrow, because, I fear that we are REALLY in NEED of His Help, to regain our National Pride, and reclaim our Country, our Land, and our People... because it has passed the point that We the People can successfully effect any significant change.

As citizens, all we can do is remind & educate ourselves, and our friends elsewhere, that America is not "The Jersey Shore", it is not Paris Hilton, and it is not anything at all that the television tells you that it is.

All of these transmissions & calls for Celebrity Emulation are Artificial Constructs that weaken us. Television has long been the New Opiate for the Masses, since Religion has been rendered largely obsolete.

My advice is to turn it off, and keep it off. Anything that can have millions of people thinking the same exact thoughts at precisely the same exact time cannot be a good thing. Anything that can simultaneously teach millions of people what is funny, via laughtracks, cannot be a good thing. behaviorist Psychology has long told us that "Repetition Reinforces". Consider commercials, in particular, consider the drug commercials that serve to poison us, and weaken us, making us sickly and ineffectual with a host of side-effects to be treated by yet other drugs. Consider Fast Food Commercials, encouraging us & our children to become ineffectual & complacent rolly-polly flesh-sacks. Consider Credit commercials, mortgages, debts, and house foreclosures, these are sure ways to have no time to think for one's self, as they are all-encompassing time-sucking concepts that leave everyone filled with fret & worry for their very roof over their head. Is this America? Are these Americans? I think not. Turn it off.

Turn it off. Keep it off. Through TV we are being taught to not respect our own bodies- if you cannot do that, you most certainly cannot respect other people, living things, or your environment. Through TV we are told to hate ourselves... If you cannot love yourself, you can never know how to love another. Through TV we are taught infidelity & deceit. Kick the radio, too. The corporate sponsored Top 100 music tells us that it is acceptable to mistreat our mates, and that it's OK to Kill. WTF?!!! Go outside, shake someone's hand and introduce yourself! The 'News' tells us to live in a perpetual state of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt of our next-door-neighbors, and our communities, and neighboring communities. We are taught to spend our hard earned money on what? Bigger Televisions. Great.

Turn it off, keep it off, kick that sh1t in with a heavy boot.

I hope that I've quelled any fears that I may, in any way, be divorced from reality. This IS Reality. ...AND I am an American... & this has been a Guided Tour of Reality in 2011 America, and my own personal Jackalopish "Good Turn" for the day.

Good Night. I'm going to go outside and appreciate the beauty of the night sky for a bit, before it is clouded with Radioactive Fallout from the Japanese Nuclear Reactor Disaster, then I'll close the window, & turn in.

You'll find the copy of Voltaire on the nightstand.

• Like 1

flashjazzcat - the gui looks awesome. I have ONE small request. Since windows has the flag, and mac os has an apple, can the system menu icon of your os be the Atari logo? icon_mrgreen.gif

+1

Either that, or a little TV set. No - joking. :)

America! F*ck yeah!!! I vote Atari logo. :)

Edited by R6502A