High Score Club 9.07 - Frostbite

Ze_ro

IMPROVEMENT!

18810!

:D

YET ANOTHER INPROVEMENT!!!

19180!!!

:D :D :D

Cool! I got about 10000 Pts. more than my 1st high score(10010 To be exact! :D )

I'M GETTING BETTER!!!!!!

47210!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

I Keep Turning it off saying "That's all For Tonight!", But I Keep Coming Back! And

Getting a Higher Score!! :D

P.S. This I Played on a Keyboard.

Edited by Cortat G

1.stay towards the middle of the screen as much as possible. Try to stay about 1 1/2-2 ice blocks away from the edges

2. when things start to move fast (around 50,000) start to change ice directions often. Do this to keep yourself away from the edge of the screen. You don't have to worry about time when things get fast.

3. Jump about 2 or more ice blocks behind the Crabs

IMPROVEMENT!

18810!

:D

YET ANOTHER INPROVEMENT!!!

19180!!!

:D :D :D

Cool! I got about 10000 Pts. more than my 1st high score(10010 To be exact! :D )

I'M GETTING BETTER!!!!!!

47210!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

I Keep Turning it off saying "That's all For Tonight!", But I Keep Coming Back! And

Getting a Higher Score!! :D

P.S. This I Played on a Keyboard.

Wow!! Another great score on the keyboard!

Bailey's Plan

The year was 1982, a good year before where we stand today. Frostbite bailey had just established his igloo building business. Being very unsuccessful in his life Baily was glad that he discovered something he really loved and something he really excelled in. Being thousands of miles away from civilization was good for Bailey. He was never really social and bad luck seemed to follow him everywhere.

One day after his morning calistenics, Baily decided to take a walk toward that beauitiful horizon he witnessed on a daily basis. It wasnt more than a minute later that Bailey discovered a large cave. Being curious, Bailey decided to venture into the chasm. What bailey discovered was really quite a surprise. Four, count them, four small polar bear cubs about the size of small puppies.

Being strapped for cash, Bailey decided to gather the cubs up and take them back to igloo for safe keeping. For his idea was to ship the little polar bears off to the Washington DC Zoo for a nice sum of $2,000 each. It was only one day before Baileys brother, Heatstroke Sam, arrived by helicopter to drop supplies to Bailey for the month.

Whats going on Bailey?, Sam inquired.

Can you take these cubs to the zoo and collect the cash for me?, Bailey ask.

Sure, Sam said. And they loaded the cubs on the helicopter.

Momma bear walk over the horizon just as the cubs were being loaded on the helicopter. She broke out in a rage! The copter flew away. Ever since that day that Polar Bear has interfered with Frostbite Bailey and his quest to build igloos. That is why you see the bear in the game. Originally the bear was not included.

The biggest question remains… where was Father Bear?

Vocelli

Edited by Vocelli

Only 9130 so far.

post-27767-0-60271000-1302875839_thumb.jpg

Here is my story submission:

The sound of the shuttles' engines faded as they entered orbit

around the planet Arctis-9. Bailey looked out of the window and saw the endless

ice covered surface.

For a moment he regretted agreeing to the mission. He just wanted to be back

on Earth building simple igloos, where the worst he had to worry about was polar

bears. There was creatures like bears on Arctis-9 too, but these ones were 15

feet tall would tear appart anything the humans tried to build on the surface.

His mission was to land on the planet with a team of Artic Architects and

build igloos. The creatures didn't try to smash structures constructed from

ice.

The pilot's voices came through the speaker in his helmet, "Frostbite, are

you and your team ready?"

"As ready as we'll ever be," he replied. The shuttle began it's entry into

the atmosphere.

Ok, so far this game in making me a crazy person. When ever you touch a bird or crab or clam you are dead! There is no jumping to something else before they push you off the place you are on. I wish I had the cart, I think the game would be much easier to play with a real Atari stick.

7460 is all I can manage right now. :(

Playing this on a keyboard is pretty much impossible, if that's what you're using. Just buy a copy on ebay for $3.00 or $4.00.

If I ordered it at the start of this week there is little chance I would have had it in time for it take make a difference. I want to complete the Activision set, so I will own this game in time, but for now I have to deal with what I have. I'll get a point for putting a score up and I might have to be ok with that for now. I had PC controllers but they have long gone to crap, and I don't have wired 360 contollers or the like. I'm kind of stuck for now.... oh well.

This game is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. I was aiming to break 100K until the phone went off. Damn lack of pause. Broke 87K anyway. I'll do better by the deadline. Once you get a feel for it, it's not that hard at all. Timing, watching the enemies, and making a habit of diagonal jumping is critical. Plus, the extra life every 5K helps a ton. I was up to 7 lives and then lost them all when I rushed to get the phone during a point tally. It was too late for me!

1.stay towards the middle of the screen as much as possible. Try to stay about 1 1/2-2 ice blocks away from the edges

I don't know about that suggestion. On the first jump run down, yeah, but after that I found that working the sides is generally more to your favor based on enemy and fish movement. I only really use the middle if it's totally clear or for the intial run before anything really appears.

TIPS (REVISED):

* Each cycle is composed by 8 levels: 4 levels on DAY screen, and 4 on NIGHT screen. You complete the cycle each time you build and enter the fourth igloo on NIGHT screen.

* On level 2 / Cycle 1, DON'T enter the igloo quickly, because many fishes appear on the screen. Eat them as many as possible, sacrifice yourself jumping to Arctic Sea, or leaving the temperature drop to 0 degrees. That way, you can maximize the temperature for that level and score more bonus points. Speaking about fishes: TRY to eat them as many as possible on slower levels; and try to use FIRE button when the fishes appear on the playfield.

* If you have 9 Frostbites in reserve, sacrifice yourself (i.e., jump to Arctic Sea, touch Alaskan King Crab, Geese, Killer Clam or Polar Grizzly, or let the temperature drop to ZERO) before entering the igloo to maximize the time for that board and thereby get more bonus points based on timer. Try NOT to lose 2 or more lives on the current board, and be careful with hazardous enemies.

* On level 9 and onwards, you essentialy get an Extra Frostbite every level, because you score more than 5000 points per board, including bonus via entering the igloo and time remaining.

* Try to jump behind the enemies as they pass, because they CAN'T change direction.

* In mid-air, you can change your direction many times during each jumping.

* Practice jumping over hazardous enemies and landing between them. For each jumping, you can use horizontal and vertical directions at the same time.

* The contact with Alaskan King Crabs, Geese, Fishes, and Killer Clams occurs when Frostbite is on the ice blocks. On the shore, the contact with Polar Grizzly DOESN'T occur if you jump onto the left side of the screen; so, use this for emergencies.

* Try to position Frostbite Bailey at the center of the screen while you jump on the ice blocks. This action minimizes the risk of touching the enemies or falling in the Arctic Sea.

Edited by oyamafamily

First time playing for the High Score Club, and my first time playing Frostbite as well (a great excuse for a trip to my local retro game shop)! I hope to get a better score before the week is up, if I have the time.

And yes, my VCS is hooked up to a 40" HDTV, becausee anachronism is better than irony.

post-29468-0-10332300-1302916068_thumb.jpg

I thought I had this game, but I don't. Back to the keyboard, and it's a real bear (or polar bear in this case). I can't master jumping diagonally, so I just jump straight up and down. It is so difficult finding an opening to get past that polar bear to the igloo. Anyway, I guess it's another last place finish for me, but I can write a story for the bonus. It's one I've actually thought about while reading books on Arctic survival. It's about two beautiful men in love, ahhhhhh.

post-2105-0-50832400-1302916468_thumb.jpg

It was three months since the ship Atarian was crushed by the Arctic ice and sank. Frostbite Bailey was the most ablest of the crew. Big and strong with rock solid muscles and chiseled features, Bailey had impressed the captain with his intelligence, ingenuity, and coolness. He had proven himself more competent than the ship's top officers and the captain wanted Bailey to accompany him on his trek to Siberia to find help for the Atarian survivors. Bailey, however, had to, for once in his life, disobey an order. He refused to assist the captain unless he could take along his companion for Bailey had fallen in love with the ship's cook, the small and dainty Icebox Barnum. Bailey would not allow his companion to be left with the others who may treat him unkindly. The captain believed the squeamish little cook would be a hindrance on the rough and dangerous journey and refused Bailey's request. Bailey, therefore, bid his mates farewell and left with Barnum with a sled and several packs of supplies. Barnum admitted to Bailey that he was scared of leaving the others. Bailey assured his companion, "Don't worry, I will take care of you."

Barnum and Bailey (get it?) settled on a spot with plentiful sea life. Bailey used his great strength and rippling muscles to build an igloo. He used his superb agility to hop from ice float to ice float and captured fish with his large hands while avoiding vicious crabs and clams and swatting away annoying snowgeese. Barnum kept the igloo tidy and used his great cooking skills to prepare the fish Bailey caught and the occasional polar bear he shot. When winter arrived and the temperature dropped, Bailey's acrobatic ice hopping produced fewer and fewer fish as they began swimming south. Snowgeese no longer flew over their camp and clams and crabs no longer nipped at Bailey's ankles. What they wouldn't give to see a polar bear for, although terrifying, Bailey could shoot it and provide himself and his partner several meals. It got so bad that they were forced to eat the skin of polar bears Bailey had shot before the weather changed and Barnum broke the bones of the bears to scoop out the marrow to cook a weak soup.

Soon Barnum became very ill. He was thin and pale and could not leave the igloo. Bailey became very worried as he watched the man he loved seem to drift away from him. Barnum needed to eat something and soon or he would surely die. Bailey walked for miles looking for a polar bear or anything to kill, but their surroundings were completely barren. They seemed to be the only living things left...but barely. Bailey knew what he had to do and he had to do it quick for he was growing weaker by the day as well. He crawled into the igloo with fresh meat he had cooked. Barnum so stunned, "Where did you get this?" he asked. "My love for you helped me find a way," Bailey responded.

Barnum ate for several days on the meat and felt stronger and healthier and was soon out of the igloo tidying up the camp and cooking soup out of the remaining meat. He was worried about Bailey, though, who, since he returned from his last hunt, would lay in his sleeping bag and hardly move. That day all they hoped for arrived. A rescue ship! They would be the only survivors of the Atarian. Barnum saw the ship and ran to the igloo calling out the Bailey, "We're saved!" Barnum clammered into the igloo and ripped the sleeping bag off of his companion, "Get up! It's here! Our rescue ship!" Then he saw something missing. Bailey's left leg. Barnum's eyes grew wide and he could not speak. "I said I'd take care of you and I meant it," Bailey whispered. They returned to New York on the rescue ship Nintendoic and settled in a little house in the East Village and lived happily ever after.

• Like 2