IGNORED

High Score Club 9.07 - Frostbite

Ze_ro

Nice Frost! I hope to break 200K before it's done. Found a nice little trick, check this shit. When the polar bear appears, there is a way you can avoid him to save yourself. Not sure if you'd consider this is a glitch or messing with game mechanics. I found it by accident. Check it.

Whenever you're jumping around, the bear of course is usually moving somewhat relative to you. Well, once, I jumped up on an ice block and landed all the way on the left to get out of the way. I was like feck there's the bear because he was already all the way on that side. Funny thing? The bear WON'T TOUCH YOU if you hit the far left of the screen ON A JUMP. Do that, and it will just sit there. You can use that to gain some time and then hit the ice again.

Thanks Stan. Once you get to about 220,000 the game gets so fast you'll have no time to react or think. Just jump and hope for the best is my strategy after 220,000.

That Bear strategy I don't use often because I'm never near the edge. It's a very weird trick.

Yeah, I read about this trick on the HTML manual at AtariAge, and forgot about it entirely!

I tried it out, but like Frostbite said... the very edge of the icebergs you wanna stay AWAY from... and early in the game I don't need to find a safe spot, I'm good on the ice at least untill 130ks, then I just use the "fire button" in an emergency.

It did come in handly twice when the 2 row of ice blocks where off the screen still.

Cartwright Bailey took his career as a novelist seriously. When he began contemplating that his next epic would be an arctic adventure, he knew he had to do more research than watching National Geographic on TV. He packed up and headed out to experience life on the frozen tundra.

When Cartwright arrived at the location he picked using his spinning globe, he was a little excited, a little anxious and a lot cold. His parka was top-of-the-line, but not necessarily built for the top-of-the-world. He was going to have to get started building a shelter for protection.

The spot he had picked out was beside a river. It was a fortuitous decision, in that, he was able to use his large fishing net to scoop blocks of ice out of the river to use for his igloo. He also was able to snag several salmon as they jumped out of the water over the ice floes. This helped sustain him at meal time.

Cartwright finished his igloo in the early evening. The sun had dipped low, but would not set. He would have to get use to sleeping while the sun shined, knowing the six-month long day would come to an end, eventually. After starting a fire, Cartwright began to put his thoughts together. He would start writing in the morning. Cartwright slipped into his thermal sleeping bag and drifted off to sleep.

He was not prepared for what came next.

When the time for sleeping had ended, Cartwright awoke and found himself, again, standing on bank of the river. His igloo was gone. It was like it had never existed. There was no explanation, but what had not changed was the cold. So, Cartwright went back to work building another igloo. The ice floes seemed to have picked up speed, though, and the indigenous wildlife made his task that much harder. When his day time bedtime came again, he laid down and pondered his strange day.

And then he fell asleep.

And then he woke up.

And it happened all over again.

Day after day, Cartwright continued his exercise in futility, building a new igloo every time he woke up.

Then the darkness finally came.

As Cartwright readied himself to go into his newest igloo and head for bed, he noticed that the Aurora Borealis seemed particular bright. Maybe it was the background of the night sky. Or maybe it was some sort of magic in the air. He thought to himself that sleeping should be easier without the sun in the sky. He went into his igloo and laid down.

And then he fell asleep.

And then he woke up.

And then he saw the walls of his igloo, still intact. He was overcome with relief.

Was it the Northern Lights in the night sky that saved him? Was it some sort of bending of time and space? Was it the magnetic pole that he was living so close to? Cartwright didn't have any answers. He was just glad not to be building anymore igloos.

From that moment on, Cartwright knew his novel would not be based on his real-life experiences. No one would ever believe it.

Edited by Scrabbler15

So many are doing so well on the keyboard, I thought I'd give it another shot. I just can't diagonally jump consistently and have problems getting past the polar bear. I still can manage only one igloo escape and just a few extra points. I wish I had bought that $2.99 BIN cart on eBay last Wednesday, but thought I already had the game. I'd like to get it for my collection some day.

post-2105-0-45107900-1303087792_thumb.jpg

My story, kinda dumb but i need those 4 bonus points. :)

Frostbite goes on vacation.

Frostbite was lonely in the great white north. He was tried of eating the same fish.

He was looking for some action. He wanted to go somewhere warm with hot babes.

So he did what any good explorer would do and went to Camp Swampy.

Little did he know he was joining the army.

At first he didn't like it at Camp Swampy, Sarge kept busting his @ss.

But he had fun learning new tech gadgets from Gizmo, putting tacks on General Halftrack's chair, and

hanging out with Killer having a good time with easy woman.

But a certain lady caught his eye...Miss Buxely.

Miss Buxely is Beetle Bailey's girl, so Frostbite struck up a friendship with Beetle.

They spendt alot of time goofing off, watching tv, drinking beer and eating tater chips.

Soon Frostbite was hanging out with Beetle and Miss Buxely.

Then one day he walked in on Beetle and Miss Buxely making out.

Embarrassed he was going to walk out, but Miss Buxely said "The more the merrier."

They had a great time that night. Soon Frostbite was frosting Miss Buxely privates behind Beetle's back.

Things were going great, then one day Miss Buxely told Frostbite she's pregnant and doesn't know who the father is.

She suggested they go on Maury and find out who the father is.

But Frostbite Hired famous attorney F. Lee Bailey to find out who the father is.

But after a few days F. Lee Bailey had to resign from the case because he too had a piece of Miss Buxely's pie.

That's right Miss Buxely is a nymphomaniac as well as a Hulkamaniac and Megamaniac.

So they did go on Maury after all. And after a DNA test the father is none other than baseball player Homer Bailey.

Relieved Frostbite went back up north after his time at Camp Swampy was over.

the end. :)

Edited by roadrunner

Improvement today...

Sorry for the multiple posts: cracked 100K, going for that bonus point now.

Yeah me! 148630 bonus in the can.

Shite, wrong picture. Curses, Bell's Pale Ale!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who posts the wrong picture from time to time. Maybe it is the Bell's, except in my case, it's usually their Kalamazoo stout or their Oberon. Drink onward!! :party:

First time HSC player here.

I know I can do better than this but apparently I'm rusty. :)

Twas the Frostbite Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas when all through the North

Bailey was leaping ‘cross the bergs back and forth

Gathering ice for his igloo up there

Gobbling up fish and dodging the bear

The crabs with their pincers would zoom left and right

While clams and mad seagulls would add to the plight

The horizon awash in the grand setting sun

Bailey continues to hop, skip, and run

Almost done building, just one or two more

And a flickering lantern will light up the door

The night is as cold as the ocean is deep

Our hero leaps forth to his home for some sleep

But comfort is fleeting, the time’s coming when

Bailey will wake up and do it again

Today is much colder and scarier still

But if Bailey can’t make it then nobody will

Changing directions when the need for it calls

And taunting the bear through invisible walls

Are some of the tricks that our hero will try

On his quest to remain alive, warm, and dry

And I heard him exclaim, as he hopped through the night

“Merry Christmas to all, shall you not get FROSTBITE!”

post-27528-0-58654100-1303136187_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't written a story since grade school, so this came out rather pretentious and boring, but I want the 4 points, so here it is..........

The Swan Song of Frostbite Bailey

Frostbite froze. His pulse quickened and his breathing turned fast and shallow, as the voices in the crowd seemed to shrink away and crawl up into a bottle. There it stood -- tall, graceful, and glistening in the sharp December sun. He had never seen anything quite like it, at least not in person, yet it stimulated in him the poignancy of bittersweet nostalgia, and more importantly, a rare sense of belonging. The rest of the Polar Bear Day crowd at the Cleveland Zoo cast casual glances at the swan carved out of ice, some of them stopping briefly to admire and comment before rushing off to see the polar bears or to get a cup of hot chocolate. Frostbite forgot about the bears and looked to the ice swan.........and to his future.

Frostbite was a lonely child, as he was the only child of cold and distant parents. His shyness and awkward social manner failed to win him friends in the neighborhood, and his schoolmates ignored or taunted him for being different. Add to that, Frostbite’s appearance was rather goofy and cartoonish, owing in no small part to his dogged attachment to a blazingly bright red hat that was at least twice as large as his entire head. As a result, Frostbite learned to depend on his own resources to navigate himself through the obstacles of childhood, to entertain himself, to keep himself whole. The one resource he depended upon the most, the one true refuge that kept him going, was his hobby of whittling, or carving. He started at the most primitive level, carving little spears out of sticks to use with his plastic action figures. Frostbite then progressed to small cars, ships, animals, dinosaurs, etc. It was at this point in the development of his craft that he had the chance encounter with the sculpted ice swan at the Cleveland Zoo. His life would never be the same.

From then on, Frostbite abandoned wood, clay, and other materials in favor of ice as his work’s medium. He collected and modified all sorts of found objects with which he would fill with water and freeze in the refrigerator at home, much to the dismay of his mother. He used altered ice trays, pans, cans, and anything else that would store water and fit in his freezer. When winter arrived, he had the freedom and opportunity to use larger containers to freeze water outdoors. By the end of high school, Frostbite had developed into an extremely talented artist. Much to his delight, he won a full scholarship to the Alaska Institute of Frigid Arts.

Alaska opened up new vistas of possibilities for the young artist. Ice was everywhere, and often in large pieces! Frostbite’s university years were a time of great happiness, as he fully immersed himself in his labor of love. Inspired by one of his professors, Dr. Shrinkage, Frostbite even expanded the domain of his artistic genius to include the study of native Alaskan architecture. Soon, he became quite adept at combining the detailed intricacies of ice sculpture with the grand scale splendor of igloo design and construction. Indeed, our hero was able to make a lifetime’s work out of this art. His final, crowning achievement, was completed just days before dying from blood loss, secondary to castration by an aggressive, mutant clam. Frostbite’s swan song: an immense ice palace populated by countless ice swans of the most delicate, intricate beauty, each of whom were topped off with a floppy, oversized hat.

I'm terrible at this game, but I dreamed up a story about Frostbite last night. The dream was based on the theme song for The Beverly Hillbillies and adjusted to fit the characters and theme of the game. It was a fun dream to have :D .

Frostbite was a hard working man. He spent many long days building igloos for very low wages. To cut the cost of living Frostbite often ate whatever he could get his hands on while working. This often meant eating raw fish. It never crossed his mind that fish shouldn't be colors so bright. After a long day of work Frostbite sat down to a meal of his fresh catch, and in the morning he woke with a bit of "paper work" to do.

For three days Frostbite sat on his throne reading Better Homes and Gardens and when he was out of reading material it seemed like a good idea to seek medical attention. His food source was examined and it was found that a local power plant was illegally dumping toxic chemicals in the stream Frostbite had been eating from. So before there was a chance of a class action suit Frostbite settled out of court for an undisclosed amount of money.

With his money Frostbites retired to northern California where he got a medical pot license and spent most of his time "dealing with his stress levels". After a few months of this relaxed life style Frostbite got fat a lazy and very happy with his new life. Late one night after downing six boxes of Zebra Cakes and most of a flat two litter of diet Mountain Dew he went into an epic laughing fit watching 16 and Pregnant on MTV and his gut burst. Death came in just a few minutes but it took two weeks for his dealer to stop by with his new shipment of "medication" before anyone knew he was dead. The clean up effort was extensive. Frostbite had no known kin so after five years his ashes were buried in a mass grave in a public park with all the other people that had died in the year he did. The only marker for his grave was a metal plate with the year of his death printed on it. His money was taken by the state and Frostbite was forgotten.

The end

I told you it was a interesting dream. If you haven't yet you should watch A Certain Kind of Death. Its a documentary about what happens to people with no known kin when they die. It could shed some light on the end of the story. Also, don't ask how this all relates to The Beverly Hillbillies as that would be an even longer story :D .