IGNORED

High Score Club 9.07 - Frostbite

Ze_ro

Gather around everybody. It's story time!

Up in the cold frigid north lived a mighty warrior named Frostbite Bailey. He could break ice and sticks and all sorts of stuff with his bare hands. This is because his hands were numb nearly constantly and could feel no pain.

For food he would catch birds, clams and crabs and break them all with his bare hands! Sometimes he’d cook them up fresh and other times he’d store them in his igloo for later. He loved his igloo. He thought of it as his home, because that is what it was.

A polar bear stopped by one day when it smelled the cooked broken birds. They became best friends and lived happily ever after.

With due respect to H. Melville...

Call me Frostbite. Some years ago – never mind how long precisely – having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me in the states, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery, colder parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off – then, I account it high time to get to the sea, and the frostbitten north, as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship and lodestar. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me, the pull of the pole.

There now is your insular abode of the Northwest Passage, belted round by ice floes as Indian isles by coral reefs – solitude surrounds it with her surf and snows. Right and left, the slipshod trek takes you but waterward, and icebound. Its extreme down-town is Halifax, where that noble mole is washed by waves, and cooled by breezes, which a few hours previous were out of sight of land. Look at the crowds of water-creatures there, right underfoot.

Circumambulate the city of a dreamy Sabbath afternoon. What do you see? – Posted like silent sentinels all around the town, stand thousands upon thousands of mortal men fixed in ocean reveries. Some leaning against the spiles; some seated upon the pier-heads; some looking over the bulwarks of ships from penguined south seas; some high aloft in the rigging, as if striving to get a still better peep to colder climes. But these are all landsmen, southmen; of week days pent up in air conditioned comfort – tied to counters, nailed to benches, clinched to desks. How then is this? Are the green fields gone, the snows melted? What do they here?

But look! here come more crowds, pacing straight for the snow-strewn shore, and seemingly bound for Nunavut. Strange! Nothing will content them but the extremest limit of the lands; loitering under the shady lee of yonder warehouses will not suffice. No. They must get just as nigh that sun without rising as they possibly can. And there they stand – miles of them – leagues. Southerners all, they come from lanes and alleys, plains and plantations – south, central, east, and west. Yet here they all unite. Tell me, does the magnetic virtue of the needles of all the compasses of boyhood attract them thither?

Once more. Say, you are, after much, in that country; in some high land of frozen lakes. Take almost any path you please, hopscotch across avenues of ice, and ten to one it carries you down in a drink, and leaves you there an iceman in the stream, a frostbitten delicacy for the bears. There is brutal magic in it. Let the most absent-minded of men be plunged in his deepest reveries – stand that man on his legs, set his feet a-going with snapping crabs and oysters on his heels, foul fowls at his breast, and he will infallibly lead you to ice, if any ice suitable for home and hearth there be in all that region. Should you ever be without shelter in the great Canadian desert, try this experiment, if your sledge happen to be supplied with a metaphysical professor. Yes, as every one knows, meditation and the ice are wedded forever.

But here is an architect. He desires to build you the dreamiest, warmest, quietest, most enchanting bit of arctic housing in all the valley of the Beaufort sea. What is the chief element he employs? There stand his snowshoes, each of a hollow trunk, as if a hermit and a crucifix were within the weave; and here sleeps his augur, and there sleep his fish meals; and up from yonder igloo goes a sleepy smoke. Deep into distant seas drifts his mazy way, reaching to overlapping glaciers bathed in their hill-side blue. But though the picture lies thus tranced, and though this northern light shakes down its sighs like snowflakes upon this fisher's head, yet all were vain, unless the fisher's eye were fixed upon the magic floes before him. Go visit the States in June, when for scores on scores of miles you wade knee deep among sunbathers – what is the one charm wanting? – Ice – there is not a crystal of ice there! Were the mighty Polar bear but a docile panda, wouldn't you be content to see it in captivity, and spare that thousand mile travel? Why did the poor poet of Tennessee, upon suddenly receiving two handfuls of silver, deliberate whether to invest his money in a pedestrian trip to the beach, or buy him a coat which he sadly needed for that Boreal call? Why is almost every robust healthy boy with a robust healthy soul in him, at some time or other crazy to frolic in the snows? Why upon your first voyage as a passenger, did you yourself feel such a mystical vibration, when first told that the Titanic was struck down by an iceberg on the very same seas. Why did the old Norsemen hold the ice holy, and elements of creation? Surely all this is not without meaning. And still deeper the meaning of this story of Bailey, who because he could not grasp the tormenting, mild image he saw in the fountain, plunged into the Northwest Territories and in the reflections of the ice found himself, a man of men, undaunted by bear or bird. But that same image, we ourselves see in all frozen rivers and seas. It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life; and this adventure is the key to it all.

[yeah, I just did that]

• Like 2

I just realized this morning that i do own this game. My frostbite is called "der kliene br".

post-13033-0-90111800-1303187596_thumb.jpg

Hey pis, bonus on first posting nicely done. :thumbsup:

Kleine spelled, I after E, you probably know already, most likely a typo.

If you want, you can also write a story for some extra bonus points Pis.

There's no language rule... it can be in any language.

Or a song lyric lol,

der kleine bär, ist wunderbär... meine kleine bärchen stehst eis kalt, wie eine steine kleine steinung!

Wo ist Frostbite Bailey?!

• Like 1

Nice job Jabob. :) Just get rid of Cortat G score of 9,170 because you have him with 143,100.

Yeehaw, good ol' Ja-Bob gettin' some scores calculated!

Thanks for pointing out the Cortat G double up...

3 new scores updates on page 5 now. That includes your newest Frostbite one.

(1) more day of competition for this game...

SCOREBOARD AS OF APRIL 19TH (2011)

Updates posted into page 5. Update stops at Frostbite76 score of 267,140.

01* 526,300 (oyamafamily) Brazil

02* 332,460 (Cynicaster) Canada

03* 298,770 (JacobZu7zu7)

04* 267,140 (Frostbite76)

05* 222,610 (Vocelli)

06* 213,190 (toymailman)

07* 148,630 (DT Kofoed)

08* 143,100 (Cortat G)

09* 141,440 (cparsley)

10* 136,950 (pis) Sweden

11* 133,900 (classicgamer_27330)

12* 132,380 (Stan)

13* 121,100 (SpiceWare)

14* 99,520 (Gorfy)

15* 76,120 (roadrunner)

16* 59.790 (Mangia-Boy) Germany

17* 39,460 (LarcenTyler)

18* 30,920 (Scrabbler15)

19* 18,890 (bennybingo)

20* 11,990 (Krytol)

21* 9,130 (Amstari) Australia

22* 8,160 (Curious Sofa)

23* 7,460 (HatefulGravey)

24* 6,750 (Miss2600)

Gamer scores from non-U.S. taken notice for fun

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Story time...

It was a dark and stormy night. Everyone was out making this quest a most treacherous adventure, with birds, oysters, clams all out in threes, with the meanest, grizzliest old bear you'd ever see in the wilderness, all with an igloo needing to be built.

Grampa, we've heard this one before, you tell it every Saturday night, called out the kids sitting around the rocking chair. Just then a call came out from the other room, ushering the kids off to bed for the night. "Hun, you know they adore you, regardless of what they say". "I know," said Bailey, now retired from the force for a long deserved break.

Just then, from the next room, the phone rang. "Hello," she answered. After what seemed to be a very long quiet pause, a call came out from the other room. "Bailey, it's it's it's...". "Spit it out, what is it?" "It's it's your son, he's lost and assumed dead. He was last seen run off into the woods by a bear."

Just then Bailey sprang to his feet, "I guess there is only one thing left to do." "No..." she said. "Yes, " said Bailey. "I'm off to the arctic. Don't wait up for me"

More adventures of Bailey coming up in a future post.

Slight improvement, 48470:

post-26714-0-28098200-1303276575_thumb.jpg

And brief story time....

In the cold, cold arctic, the wind streams through wood and bone with a chill. As he sits in his recently built igloo, Frostbite Bailey can scarcely think of anything but keeping warm. As he curls into a ball, he falls asleep.

And when he awakens (a day later? an hour later? He is unsure...), the igloo is gone, as are all his foodstuffs. There is no time to think about the cause, only time to rebuild, to survive. Into the stream he must go, precariously retrieving food, and materials.

The rhythmic patterns of the birds, the crabs, the things that look a bit like Pac-Man (clams?)...brings him back to his center. He does what he needs to do... but what is that, out of the corner of his eye he occasionally glimpses beyond the snow in the wind? It's writing, of some kind. Digits...perhaps? Markings that seem to change each time he collects goods, it's odd.

Is there...someone keeping track of this? Is there a higher power? Does someone, somewhere monitor his life, and actually have concern whether he lives or dies?

As the years go on, Frostbite Bailey manages as best he can. The cold, and the constantly disappearing igloo keep him from having much time to philosophize. But at one point, he starts to realize that he is simply some kind of puppet. And though he is happy enough (the great outdoors, exercise, excitement, the circle of life), he wonders as time marches on.... who is the puppeteer??

Edited by Curious Sofa

This is my first time competing in the H.S.C. So, I guess I did'nt do too bad....... My goal was to be in the top 3. But hey as Mick Jagger says "You can't alway's get what you want!!!" And the days not over yet....... My score was 281 260.

You should post this under the Frostbite thread within the 2600 High Score Club.

Welcome aboard!! And great score, too!

Sorry! First time competing in the H.S.C. I hope I'm doin this right!! I tried my best to make it in the top three, but hey as Mick Jagger say's "You can't always get what you want!" But I guess the days not over yet right?!! Can't wait to compete in future H.S.C games! Oh yeah... My score was 281 260. Thanx! and GOOD LUCK FELLOW GAMERS!

post-29475-0-80614900-1303246843_thumb.jpg

This is my first time competing in the H.S.C. So, I guess I did'nt do too bad....... My goal was to be in the top 3. But hey as Mick Jagger says "You can't alway's get what you want!!!" And the days not over yet....... My score was 281 260.

You should post this under the Frostbite thread within the 2600 High Score Club.

Thank you! I feel like such an idiot... I thought that I was posting it there but I guess I was wrong!!! I figured it out though thank God!! Sweet! I love this site it's great!

Thank you! I feel like such an idiot... I thought that I was posting it there but I guess I was wrong!!! I figured it out though thank God!! Sweet! I love this site it's great!

It's an easy mistake to make, so don't worry about it. It took me a month just to figure out how to download/upload the photos :dunce:

This is a great site, and i think the HSC is the best part of it. Have fun.

It's an easy mistake to make, so don't worry about it. It took me a month just to figure out how to download/upload the photos :dunce:

This is a great site, and i think the HSC is the best part of it. Have fun.

lol, It also took me about a month to figure out how to download/upload photos. It's much easier to figure how to do it now since the website changed.

Sorry! First time competing in the H.S.C. I hope I'm doin this right!! I tried my best to make it in the top three, but hey as Mick Jagger say's "You can't always get what you want!" But I guess the days not over yet right?!! Can't wait to compete in future H.S.C games! Oh yeah... My score was 281 260. Thanx! and GOOD LUCK FELLOW GAMERS!

Hey! Newbie to Atari Age, and the High Score club, with a score of 250+ks! That's really excellent for right outta' the gates. If it stands the next 8 hours, you have a top 5 finish there. This is the second score from Canada in the top FROSTBITE ranks, they must know something about Ice cold gaming... :thumbsup:

Gotta be strong too, to make those sudden karate movements passed the 250k level. ;)

Or would that be Joysticking... :!:

Edited by JacobZu7zu7