IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 4 Round 11 (Special Round)

zylon

Congratulations!!! No way am I beating that tonight! Well done!

Thanks. :) I'm going to continue playing if I get time, but I'm not going to post any unless that one's beaten. That wouldn't be very sporting. :|

I've developed a better strategy for the final wave of each invasion. It's working far, far better than my previous method. :)

More than likely, I just figured out what the others knew all along. :dunce:

Edited by zylon

It took a LOT of practice to climb a single rank in Galaxian: 23,770

I can offer a few tips that'll add a few k to your totals. :)

Play with all lights off on clean TV. Try to shoot only moving enemies. They give you twice the points. Only the dead center of your ship can take hits. The outer edges shots just pas through. I use G9 as a warmup. When I get to the level your at on screen, I usually have at least 5k more points.

Hope these help. :)

I kind of ignore the drones and focus on hitting the emmissaries and above in flight. It really disrupts the attack patterns and I also favor the right side of screen more and only fake to left.

Edited by zylon

Total round points:

sdamon- 27

zylon- 27

JacobZu7zu7- 24

roadrunner- 19

peedenmark7- 17

atariron82- 15

SonicR- 10

Last table till the end. With less than one day to go things look tied up at the top, but combined score gives sdamon the edge for now. We still have 2 players who've missed a game so far and that could change everything. :ponder: Our exciting conclusion tomorrow evening. :cool:

Good Night.

Well, I am gonna run with the following numbers [all previously posted].. I just didn't have the time to put into SI this round, so placing a score simply to fill the 3 games. no game 12 score to report.

Galaxian; 38,890

Galaxian game 9: 4,720

Megamania: 66,160

Space Invaders: 870

post-28653-0-47038200-1311599032_thumb.jpg

Well, I am gonna run with the following numbers [all previously posted].. I just didn't have the time to put into SI this round, so placing a score simply to fill the 3 games. no game 12 score to report.

Galaxian; 38,890

That awesome Galaxian run should help the SI go down easier. :thumbsup:

A suggestion, if I may; you only need 321 points on either SI game 12 or gain that many more in G9 to qualify for the last bonus spot. I'm just saying. :)

Edited by zylon

I've been away on a small vacation, come back and WoW..Three HSC records blown to smithereens!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What's this 40k+ bit at SI, zylon :-o ? I guess you are the man! I learned to walk between the 'raindrops' in Galaxian a little better, but game 9 was like raining death:

Galaxian: 19,700

game 9: 4,960

post-21471-0-41108000-1311633684_thumb.jpg,post-21471-0-73710500-1311633761_thumb.jpg

I was attempting to improve a little on Megamania, and may post if so.

• Like 1

Galaxian; 38,890

That awesome Galaxian run should help the SI go down easier. :thumbsup:

A suggestion, if I may; you only need 321 points on either SI game 12 or gain that many more in G9 to qualify for the last bonus spot. I'm just saying. :)

thanks for the heads up , I'll get busy then :)

If you 2 guys start a game and it runs on a little longer than 9pm, I'll still let it in if reasonably close.

Bonus totals:

zylon- 12,424 +2rp

JacobZu7zu7- 7,134 +2rp

sdamon- 5,040 +2rp

atariron82- 4,960

peedenmark7- 4,720

roadrunner- 4,286

Update: I just put in the latest totals and found a possible 3 way battle for the 3rd bonus point spot. Looks like this will decide the round.

I can't watch. :P :D

Edited by zylon

I wasn't planning on posting these "bonus point" scores, as I didn't want to be pumping up the numbers, but it looks like I'd better go ahead:

Invaders bonus: 1184

Galaxian bonus: 6730

Total: 7914

post-2092-0-25415400-1311637397_thumb.jpg

post-2092-0-97194600-1311637409_thumb.jpg

Edited by sdamon

Final tally and scores updated on 1st post. If any mistakes, let me know. I'd like to give a big THANKS to all who played and made this as fun as I thought it would be. :cool: :thumbsup:

Congrats to sdamon for winning the Left, Right, & Shoot Stuff Challenge! Avoid this man with a loaded controller in hand!

And a special Congrats to those who've broken the records on all 3 of these games. Very Impressive and not likely to happen again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Incredibly tough competition this round! I feel extremely fortunate to have (barely!) won against such formidable opponents! Major kudos to the Invaders Champion zylon. .. VERY impressive score at that game!!! I thoroughly enjoyed our back and forth with that one! And kudos as well to the Galaxian Champ peedenmark7 ... Galaxian was definitely my weakest game this round, and I never stood a chance! Thanks to all for such an intense and entertaining round of gaming!

• Like 1

Perhaps we'll do something like this again in the future. :ponder:

Personally, I had a great time and haven't enjoyed HSC play this much in a long time. :cool:

I have less than 10 games I'll play with that level of effort so I gotta Get'em When I Can. ;) :D

I thought you had me with the 30+k on SI, but my very next game had a breakthrough. ;)

Edited by zylon

Play with all lights off on clean TV. Try to shoot only moving enemies. They give you twice the points. Only the dead center of your ship can take hits. The outer edges shots just pas through. I use G9 as a warmup. When I get to the level your at on screen, I usually have at least 5k more points.

I kind of ignore the drones and focus on hitting the emmissaries and above in flight. It really disrupts the attack patterns and I also favor the right side of screen more and only fake to left.

Thanks for these generous tips! I didn't have much luck with them personally... I seem to have the best luck (although still not much) with a survival-based strategy in Galaxian... knocking out as many drones as possible while stationary before they become a threat. If I was better at defending myself against multiple attackers, your strategy clearly would work better! Certainly your idea of warming up with game 9 is a worthwhile exercise... no way to avoid multiple vicious attacks there!

I've developed a better strategy for the final wave of each invasion. It's working far, far better than my previous method. :)

So I'm curious what strategy you came up with to get that amazing score. The basic Invaders strategy I used was to blow away all Invaders in a column except the one at the top. Let that Invader fire, and while it's shot falls slowly to earth, use that time to either blow away most of the next column, or dash to the other side of the screen (blowing away as many lower Invaders as I can.) The problem I had was in that final wave, the Invaders are so damn low that it's tricky to get even get that first shot in without getting killed. I would try to look for an Invader besides the rightmost one to fire and then quickly make my move, but even that didn't always work. If you found a more effective way to deal with that wave (and you don't mind sharing,) I'd love to hear what it is. :-) I'll certainly understand if you want to keep a master-level technique secret, of course.

Edited by sdamon

Thanks for these generous tips! I didn't have much luck with them personally... I seem to have the best luck (although still not much) with a survival-based strategy in Galaxian... knocking out as many drones as possible while stationary before they become a threat. If I was better at defending myself against multiple attackers, your strategy clearly would work better! Certainly your idea of warming up with game 9 is a worthwhile exercise... no way to avoid multiple vicious attacks there!

So I'm curious what strategy you came up with to get that amazing score. The basic Invaders strategy I used was to blow away all Invaders in a column except the one at the top. Let that Invader fire, and while it's shot falls slowly to earth, use that time to either blow away most of the next column, or dash to the other side of the screen (blowing away as many lower Invaders as I can.) The problem I had was in that final wave, the Invaders are so damn low that it's tricky to get even get that first shot in without getting killed. I would try to look for an Invader besides the rightmost one to fire and then quickly make my move, but even that didn't always work. If you found a more effective way to deal with that wave (and you don't mind sharing,) I'd love to hear what it is. :-) I'll certainly understand if you want to keep a master-level technique secret, of course.

What I did is very similar to your method with a slight tweak+ mastering the bonus saucer.

I'll share for next time we play. I watched my nephew play for a half hour and I noticed he didn't go right after the lower ones on first row until after they passed the 1st barrier. The invaders can only fire one shot at a time and if you let more of them onto the screen, they only fire twice before either firing from a different invader or switching firing side of same invader. Using this technique, I would eliminate all but the last invader in 1st 2 rows, then pick off bottom 2-3 from each row until group neared right edge. I would then plug those two lone guys and dart across underneath the remaining rows and lay down a heavy fire just behind 2nd barrier that they had to march through.

My nephew gets between 10-15k on it this way, but lacks patience. I've taken it to mastery. :D

Other score pumping tips are blast invaders in reddish v-shape or green, you get 2x points. Every 14 shots between saucer hits resets the 60pt bonus. ;)

Edited by zylon

What I did is very similar to your method with a slight tweak+ mastering the bonus saucer.

I'll share for next time we play. I watched my nephew play for a half hour and I noticed he didn't go right after the lower ones on first row until after they passed the 1st barrier. The invaders can only fire one shot at a time and if you let more of them onto the screen, they only fire twice before either firing from a different invader or switching firing side of same invader.

I hadn't noticed that their firing patters were that predictable. That knowledge is VERY helpful!

Using this technique, I would eliminate all but the last invader in 1st 2 rows, then pick off bottom 2-3 from each row until group neared right edge. I would then plug those two lone guys and dart across underneath the remaining rows and lay down a heavy fire just behind 2nd barrier that they had to march through.

My nephew gets between 10-15k on it this way, but lacks patience. I've taken it to mastery. :D

You certainly have!

Other score pumping tips are blast invaders in reddish v-shape or green, you get 2x points.

Ack, I can't believe I didn't notice that. I did wonder why the score seemed to vary though!

Every 14 shots between saucer hits resets the 60pt bonus. ;)

I knew about the arcade version rewarding shot counting... didn't know it applied to this version. But I'm pretty sure that the 5200 cart has a bug that doesn't reward the 60 point saucer at all. I DID notice this issue, and groaned whenever I got what should have been a 60 point saucer. The bug is mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for generously sharing these tips! Should this game come up again, I'm guessing the scoring could get quite high if a number of players start employing them.

Edited by sdamon