IGNORED

Ultima VII help

I really need to track down the various Ultima binary distributions so I can play them in DOSBox or just run them inside VMWare (although DOSBox is probably easier!) I own all the games, but would prefer to play them on my Mac..

..Al

XU4 and Exult I believe both have OSX builds at the sites I mentioned. I'm pretty sure at the XU4 site are screenshots of U4 on a mac.

As for the other Ultimas, DOSBox runs great on my wifes Macbook Pro. You're better off going that route. I can confirm that all the DOS-based Ultimas work great in it, even the 2 "Worlds Of" titles.

Some of my recent eBay Ultima loot has come in:

post-3-0-33992400-1315079102_thumb.jpg

I really need to track down the various Ultima binary distributions so I can play them in DOSBox or just run them inside VMWare (although DOSBox is probably easier!) I own all the games, but would prefer to play them on my Mac..

..Al

Nice, I have UIII and UIV on Nes no boxes though.

Since you have a MAC have you tried Ultima III on the MAC by LairWare?

http://www.lairware.com/ultima3/

If you're interested, grab this while you can. I can't believe this guy hasn't been served with a C&D yet, especially since he's wanting money for a "registered" version.

Expect this to disappear real soon, as EA is now selling the game again through GOG.

If you're interested, grab this while you can. I can't believe this guy hasn't been served with a C&D yet, especially since he's wanting money for a "registered" version.

Expect this to disappear real soon, as EA is now selling the game again through GOG.

I know I was thinking about getting it. :P

I was suprised its still there. I noticed it years ago before I had a MAC. I mainly use a PC so I'm on the fence about getting it but now I may do it though since I still fire up the MAC once in a while.

Great news!

http://videogamewriters.com/patch-released-to-spiff-up-gogs-ultima-re-releases-22822

""

The Ultima fan community has swiftly stepped in to make Good Old Games’ recent release of the first four Ultima titles even more play-worthy.

Pix’s Ultima Patcher allows users to automatically add the graphical and gameplay updates to the GOG versions without having to manually tinker with installation files or DOSbox settings.

According to fansite Ultima Aiera, the patches offer the following upgrades:

u4grafx Patch released to spiff up GOGs Ultima re releases

The visual upgrade to Ultima IV is substantial

Ultima 1

A graphics patch that corrects a glitch in the original installation.

Ultima 2

A maps patch, which corrects for a bug in the original version.

A comprehensive upgrade that improves the graphics and adjusts the speed of the game.

Ultima 3

An EGA Graphics patch to improve graphics.

The Ultima 3 Upgrade patch, which adds more colourful graphics and improved MIDI music to the game. (these two are mutually exclusive)

Ultima 4

An EGA graphics patch

A comprehensive Ultima 4 Upgrade patch, with VGA graphics and better music from different platforms

A fix for the dungeon of Hythloth

A patch to replace all english signage with Britannia’s ubiquitous runic font, for the hardcore Ultima fans who can read it fluently.

Having played Ultima 4 both with and without the patch, I can vouch that the update makes great strides toward improving the play experience immensely, especially for newcomers to the series. And since you are only messing with self-contained DOSbox packages, there’s no harm in trying them out– you can always just make a copy of your folder before you mess with anything.

Download the patch from Ultima Aiera""

Aww come on... no Ultima Marathon is complete without "Ultima Underworlds I & II" created by looking glass software! :D

If you look at one of my earlier posts you'll see that I do have Ultima Underworld I and II. :D I intend to play those in the proper timeline..

..Al

Yeah I posted in a bit of a haste because it was the end of my work shift and I didnt want to lose this post. Speaking of which.. This and another post I responded in yesterday do not show up in my "My Content" display at all.. :(

As for my experiences with Ultima..

Ultima III - First Ultime I ever played and completed.

Ultima IV - Really enjoyed this, however never did finish it. Had a friend that was really into this one..

Ultima V - Another one I never finished due to some weird fluke. I entered the final dungeon before my characters were strong enough and got stuck in some section of the dungeon that was nearly impossible to get out of.

Ultima VI - I did finish this one. I thought it was ok but I really missed the large dungeons and mapping dungeons. This was the beginning of the persistent bugs in the Ultima series. My friend (big ultima fan) would spend hours making money off of making butter. :lol: Anywho he somehow managed to "bag" LB and was carrying LB around in one of his bags. Anytime his characters needed healing he would just talk to the LB in his bag. :lol:

Ultima VII - To be honest I was initially a bit disappoined in this one. Still missed the large dungeons and I hated having no control over the characters in my party. Nothing like travelling two days only to find one of your characters got weak and passed out who knows where. :thumbsdown: That being said I have to admit when it came to music queues and overall story VII is pretty polished. I did, however, finish this one.

Ultima Underworlds I - Always will be one of my favorites. However I never did finish it do to some bug which caused the final level to be screwed up and one of the items I needed dissappeared. As far as level design and layout and overall character progression.. Nearly perfect.

Ultima Underworlds II - Same as above. This one is a little harder to get into because of the nature of the plot but once you make the shift. Very enjoyable. :)

Ultima VII addons and up - I kinda stopped on the ultima series at this point and need to pick it up someday..

What? No Ultima Online fans? :lol: Anyone have a chance to witness 'ol LB getting killed? Best news ever. teehee. I actually still have a floppy for the Ultima Online beta. I didnt join it at the time because I feared I would get addicted to it.

post-3211-0-07164400-1315461438_thumb.jpg

Okay, I dug the boxes out of my garage (no small feat) and took a few pictures.

All the games, along with two others I had sitting on a shelf in my office:

This is not helping me be a productive member of society.

..Al

Was the cat boxed up all those years? :lol:

I always was hoping someone would make an upgrade patch of sorts for Ultima V with the graphics from the X68000 version of the game. Instead of being a port of the PC/Amiga/ST versions, they basically redid it, and it's easily the best looking version. Too bad it's mostly in Japanese. =(

Oh hell yeah!

This one?

Moongate.png

U5x86d.jpg

Someone needs to translate this! :D

Edited by Shannon

It would be so cool to play the complete Ultima VII without Exult or anything else.

I haven't tried it yet, but there is this: http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/

There's another method that involves something like...a BIOS setting that lowers the amount of cache your CPU uses? It's supposed to be able to run U7 perfectly that way, but my 486 is a few generations newer than the CPU that supports that option.

Nice! Now if they finish up with VII complete? I will be truly satisfied.

It would be so cool to play the complete Ultima VII without Exult or anything else. I really hope they go crazy and give us extra stuff like soundtracks, wallpaper etc.

While the extras would be cool, I'd rather play the game with Exult than DOSBox, which is what the GOG release of it will be.

Plus, with GOG's track record with addons, I'd actually be surprised if they did release Ultima VII "complete".

As for this:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/

Exult and DOSBox are both much better alternatives.

Albert can you sneak in an official Ultima thread all by itself at Atari Age? :P

Just kidding....but here's a link to a fantastic version of Ultima V's music soundtrack to anyone who loves Ultima music (in MP3 format). Courtesy of many fine folks and Ultima Aiera:

http://www.ultimaaiera.com/galleries/ultima-5-soundtrack-passport-wavetable-midi-card/

:thumbsup:

Over time I actually had all of these as well, though many of the older ones were Apple 2 versions. After years of selling, consolidating, and loss to a water heater blowing out, all I'm left with is boxed originals of Ultima V, Wasteland, Bard's Tale, and Wizardry.

Great thread!

I have just been getting back into the Ultima's.

I was a huge fan of the originals.

Played Ultima II on a friends Apple ][ Plus in high school.

Then Ultima III on his and eventually my C64 (although my copy was.. er.. a copy..)..

Then I got my first personal copy -- Ultima IV for the C64.. Yeay!

(I used to carry the Ankh on my keychain! :-)

Loved that game....

My copy is long gone tho now...

However, since then, I've acquired an Apple IIe (with a mockingboard) and I have Ultima II and III (II is big box; both with maps) and Ultima IV (not sure if I can't find the map (lots of stuff still in boxes after a move) or don't have it) and I have Ultima V, but no floppies or map (I'm sure I don't have those)...

All in all, I was pretty happy!!! (I was getting the IIe with "some games" so I had no idea what it came with)

I have ADTPro'd the 8 UV disks, but I have a confession to make...

I haven't actually played Ultima V yet..

I mean, I loaded it and listened to the music, but I have yet to play it..

I know, I know... :sad:

But I just got back into it, and I'm playing Ultima IV now, so I should be getting to V soon!!!

desiv

I remember enjoying Ultima on my C64. I still have all 6 Ultima games CIB: The first Trilogy, Ultima IV with cloth map and ankh trinket, U5 with cloth map and amulet coin, and U6 with stone and cloth map. I also have a few older PC versions on floppy disks including CIB Ultima 7. CIB SI, 2 CIB expansions, and CIB U9.

Finally I have various compilation on CD including Ultima Underworlds, U7 (complete), U8, and U9. All the DOS based Ultima's required DOSBox to run properly on my PC when I changed to use 64 bots OS, as 16 bits DOS won't run at all.

I never finished U8 and U9 because both were so different it kind of turned me off. I may dust off U8 someday and see if I can play them. Dunno if I can still play U9 or not, my PC has advanced a lot since then. I also never finished U6 on my C64 because there were a few bugs that annoyed me a lot. I did eventually finish them on my PC.

When I had 486 with 4MB of RAM, that was a lot back then. I was able to make U7 run smooth by using /LH in autoexec to load mouse driver and cache, plus I set the cache to 2MB which resulted in a very smooth full screen moongate animation duting loading. I didn't use CD-ROM driver, I dumped the whole disc onto my HD to save memory.

PS if you change the file names of opening credit and ending credit to switch them on U7 and SI, you get to see ending when you load U7 or SI. If you let it run to the end, it will update the menu that lets you see ending anytime.