IGNORED

Adventures of the 50-foot-tall Stalk of Celery

atari2600land

Hi gang, major bug fixes in this version. First off, you'll notice that the screen no longer jitters. Also, the celery no longer jitters when he's falling. Before, while he was falling, he would occasionally go up a pixel. I think this makes the level runs more smoothly.

50celery15.bas.bin

Bat speed is perfect for early stages.

I had a thought about the side-scrolling stages: You could fake pixel perfect side-scrolling by using both balls as edges on the platforms. One ball for the left edge and one ball for the right edge. Instead of moving per playfield pixel you would move the balls until reaching a pfpixels length and then move the playfield horizontally.

Edited by theloon

Bat speed is perfect for early stages.

I had a thought about the side-scrolling stages: You could fake pixel perfect side-scrolling by using both balls as edges on the platforms. One ball for the left edge and one ball for the right edge. Instead of moving per playfield pixel you would move the balls until reaching a pfpixels length and then move the playfield horizontally.

You only get one ball. If you're talking about missiles, I can't do that, either, because missile1 is the celery, player1 are objects, and player0 are enemies. I don't have missile0 to work with because I'm using no_blank_lines.

atari2600land, I enjoyed trying out your game this afternoon. It was interesting, too, seeing various changes along the way. If I may be so bold as to add my constructive criticism: the first level is too fast... it seems like you must run the entire time... for those of us who often stop and time our jumps more carefully (or just goof off for a while) the timer runs out. The second level is fun, but not enough reason to stop on the ledges... I only saw one pretzel... give us a reason to want to stop on the ledges, otherwise, why bother?, just keep falling.

Also, as the timer reaches 10 seconds or so, make an annoying alarm bell or set the music to double speed or ...something... to let us know that we need to hurry up.

/* I am having difficulties making anything in Visual bB. After I gather my thoughts, I'll put up a post and maybe y'all can help me out... */

:wq!

I hope you don't mind, but I got my hands on this game and I really like it; the idea of controlling a 50-foot-tall stalk of celery is hilarious, as well as pig enemies and stale pretzels for power ups! :lol:

...Though I thought that I would like to help somehow, so I edited the sprites a little bit in the Hack-O-Matic program! :D

Here are some screenshots of the pigs and the pretzel after I edited their sprites-

2iqy6no.png

r90pjk.png

2qu4x7q.png

I'm not sure that the changes will carry over to Visual bB, because I used the Hack-O-Matic. :-\

Hope you like it! Keep up the good work. :):thumbsup:

@CTF@

50celery9 Graphic Mod3.bin

Edited by c_t_f

CHANGES:

Level 1's time limit is 90 seconds.

Changed the pig sprite in level 1

Added a pretzel in the beginning of level 2

changed level 2's music to more reflect the way I composed the music.

Keep the constructive criticism coming, I want this game to be as good as it possibly can. Also, if you want to design a bat sprite for me, feel free to. I think the one I did is kinda stupid looking.

50celery19.bas.bin

I like the new version. Level 1 has a good amount of piggies and enough time to complete it. Level 2 has new pretzels -yes!- and I like the tune.

As a (sometimes) musician, if I may offer a bit of musical "constructive" criticism: don't be afraid of including "rests" in your tune. A slight pause in the melody, like where a singer would take a breath. For example the slight pause between "...gently down the stream" and "merrily, merrily, merrily..."

Regarding Level 1, is it too late to add clouds or something? (The sky seems a bit plain as you concentrate on the platform, I think.) As I said, though, I think you did well on the music for Level 2. The bats are a tad challenging, too. So, overall, I like where you have this going.

:wq!

The game in level 1 would take up too many cycles if I added scrolling clouds along with the scrolling platform.

Level 2 is completed. The time limit is 80 seconds and there are a total of 3 pretzels and 44 screens in the stage. It's bigger than stage 1 which only had 32 screens.

Level 3 will be an ice world with penguin enemies and it will be slippery like in SMB3. Feel free to design a bat and/or penguin.

50celery20.bas.bin

• 2 weeks later...

Work has begun on level 3. It's an ice world. I plan to have the music be "Winter Wonderland" because it's an ice world. Also, because it's an ice world, it's slippery. Once you get past a certain point that's not very far past the first ledge, the game goes back to the title screen. This is because I haven't programmed the level very far. Let me know if there's any bugs. Also, if someone could design a penguin sprite, that would be really groovy.

50celery22.bas.bin

Could someone test this and tell me if it runs on real hardware? The reason I'm asking is because it doesn't work OK when I put 'set debug cyclescore' in and does when it's not in there. If not, then I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Either that or shelve the game.

50celery24.bas.bin

I have not been following this too close, but just gave it a try. I got a couple seconds in and fell through an unseen hole, then was able to keep scrolling right. If I kept jumping it slowly came back up onto the screen, then the screen started to flicker and jump and the music went odd.

Kinda hard to explain...

This happened because I have only designed the level up to four screens.

50celery22.bas.bin loops back to the title screen when the timer reaches ~87. Not enough time to tell if the rest of the game is working properly.

50celery24.bas.bin starts normal, but the timer stops at 89. You are still able to move and jump but no enemies appear and you eventually fall through the ground.

-B

I wonder why it's working odd for you, Brian, when it's working fine for me. In 50celery24.bin, the timer works just fine. Unless you are testing this on real hardware, which would mean that this game wouldn't work. I had an idea though: I wonder if the game would use less cycles if I used the player0scores and player1scores instead of the standard score. In this case, that would mean I'd have to get rid of the title screen for now and replace it with a black screen. I tried this on Stella 3.4.1 and it seems OK on my end.

50celery25.bas.bin

I have not been following this too close, but just gave it a try. I got a couple seconds in and fell through an unseen hole, then was able to keep scrolling right. If I kept jumping it slowly came back up onto the screen, then the screen started to flicker and jump and the music went odd.

Kinda hard to explain...

I should have stated, I tested it on a Harmony on a heavy Sixer, sorry.