IGNORED

ColecoVision & ADAM Cartridge Rarity List v2.0

NIAD

Sorry... a couple of updates on Squares!... I didn't spend a long time investigating the whole list, but it looks like you've got variations of homebrews... if so, there's a couple of versions out there:

1. Produced by me - cart and manual only - not available anymore.

2. Produced by AA - cart, manual, and box (VHS style) - available - I don't actually have one of these yet :( , but from the pictures, the label is different, and the instructions appear to be the same, but are likely higher quality. The ROM is the same.

ROM releases:

1. 4K version for minigame competition

2. demo version (stripped down from full version)

3. full version (same as physical carts)

Workbook2 2.txt

Jim - I've collect many CBS carts over the years and have 'some' information on the carts / numbers. Would you be interested in this information? (Nothing earth shaking - just info on various labels and cart 'numbers')

That would be great and I'm sure that there are many others here on the Forums that would be very interested in any and all information that you can provide. If you don't mind, please post the information here in this thread and then everyone can make the updates to the list as needed.

OK - I've created a spreadsheet of the data I have on CBS cartridges. CBS seems to have gone to a lot of trouble for nothing - since all of the carts play in any machine... Hopefully our Coleco friends in Europe can fill in the many blanks. Are there more numbers, are the different types of labels...???

The attached file is actually an excel spreadsheet. I tried to upload it and was informed that I can 'upload this kind of file'.... So I changed the extension to .txt If you download it change the extension back to .xlsx Hopefully it will still look OK. (Actually is does - just tried this from the preview post) If not I have to send the file to someone who can upload the file.

Jeff

Thanks for the update Jeff31, I will look it all over and make the additions.

Indeed, CBS Software went through a lot of trouble with the different cart shell, redesigned labels, redesigned manuals and all the different box variation. But as they say, "Variety is the spice of life".

It is not easy to monitor the ref of the cbs cartridges as there are many rev. That's also true for the ref of the boxes and manuals.

Some examples :

http://www.colecoboxart.com/coleco_dkjr.htm

http://www.colecoboxart.com/coleco_carnival.htm

http://www.colecoboxart.com/coleco_mrdo.htm

http://www.colecoboxart.com/coleco_smurf.htm

Indeed, CBS Software went through a lot of trouble with the different cart shell, redesigned labels, redesigned manuals and all the different box variation. But as they say, "Variety is the spice of life".

I'll look over my large CBS collection this weekend and add to Jeff's as appropriate. I'll then post it back here. Thanks Jeff - great work.

Edited by Ikrananka

I would have to venture a "GUESS" that Dragon Rider of Pern would have been an ADAM software games released on data pack and disk seeing as it was a fairly involved D&D style game as I just checked out the C=64 version... gotta love emulation.

That's a nice picture of Super Smurf at the bottom of the article!

Dinosaur Dig by CBS Software??? That's pretty funny as the most prolific Homebrew ADAM game software developer, Steve Pitman, released a game in 1989 called Dinosaur Dig.

post-25956-0-09673800-1326840412_thumb.png

post-25956-0-58452400-1326840428_thumb.png

post-25956-0-37298600-1326840440_thumb.png

I'll look over my large CBS collection this weekend and add to Jeff's as appropriate. I'll then post it back here. Thanks Jeff - great work.

Got a package in the mail today with more CBS carts. Will try to post the new info on them tomorrow...

I picked up a couple CBS releases CIB and thanks to those and looking over www.colecboxart.com and your updates more closely, I realized that the Product #s that I have begun to list in my Rarity List are indeed Label #s that designate region/language and the Product # on the box is indeed different and also comes in slight variations dependent on region/langauge/box style.

So back to the drawing board and I will have to start fixing those up so that I don't add to the confusion which are the multitude of CBS releases.

Oh, the pain! :mad:

I picked up a couple CBS releases CIB and thanks to those and looking over www.colecboxart.com and your updates more closely, I realized that the Product #s that I have begun to list in my Rarity List are indeed Label #s that designate region/language and the Product # on the box is indeed different and also comes in slight variations dependent on region/langauge/box style.

So back to the drawing board and I will have to start fixing those up so that I don't add to the confusion which are the multitude of CBS releases.

Told you it was tough ;)

Told you it was tough ;)

I think it would be A LOT EASIER to complete a US releases CIB collection (including games like WizMath, Aquattack and Sammy Lightfoot) than it would be to complete a CBS Software collection for just one region such as the UK... and choosing the UK releases is probably the easiest of the lot.

I feel your pain. :-D

Told you it was tough ;)

I think it would be A LOT EASIER to complete a US releases CIB collection (including games like WizMath, Aquattack and Sammy Lightfoot) than it would be to complete a CBS Software collection for just one region such as the UK... and choosing the UK releases is probably the easiest of the lot.

I feel your pain. :-D

Glad I collect in the USA.... OH WAIT... I have a bunch of CBS carts.. :-D I don't envy Crapahute!!!

I've updated my spreadsheet (not the one I uploaded) with the new carts I received a few days ago (want to see if Ikrananka has these already). Quite a few differences so far... I'm looking at purchasing more carts from Europe in the near future...

• 2 weeks later...

The Rarity LIst has been going through a tremendous amount of updates and additions, especially on the CBS Electronics front, thanks in large part to Ikrananka and Jeff31 and finally looking through all the pics I have saved the last couple years. Now what I would like is to hear everyone's feelings as to what format you would like to have the list supplied in... RTF/Text, Excel, PDF or all for convenience sake. The RTF/Text and Excel versions have been made available in this thread to look over and I have attached a one page example of the Excel version in PDF format. Ultimately, I'd like to get away from the RTF version, but if there are enough people that prefer this version, then I will keep updating it as well.

Here is the PDF example thanks to Ikrananka.

CV&ADAM Cartridge Rarity List TEST PAGE.pdf

For copy/paste operations, I prefer a plain text file. For printing, I prefer a PDF.

It's a matter of preference, I would guess.

The PDF is searchable and the text is selectable. I plan on also having bookmarks defined so that one can easily jump to the section of interest.

The Excel version has database filters set so that one can easily filter the lists to only display results of interest. This for me is a very powerful feature.

If you need help on rarirty on all Coleco Canada carts, let me know ;)

BTW: Illusion was ONLY distributed by Coleco of Canada

Illusions is shown as only Coleco of Canada in the non-USA section. However, it is also in the US section as a US release (of which I have a copy).

Yep,

All Illusions cartridges have MADE IN CANADA carved on the back of the cart shell

Illusions is shown as only Coleco of Canada in the non-USA section. However, it is also in the US section as a US release (of which I have a copy).

Yep,

All Illusions cartridges have MADE IN CANADA carved on the back of the cart shell

Just pulled my Illusions CIB out and the box is definetely a US release (Printed in U.S.A.) and the cart shell has the "Made in U.S.A." stamp on the back indentation under COLECO. The label was "Printed in U.S.A." as well.

Edited by NIAD

Yep,

Ah - you made me go and look. Yes indeed my cart has "Made in Canada" on the back, however my box, manual and cart label all have "Printed in USA". Confusing. So, the cart shells definately were from Canada but doesn't look like the rest was.

Yep,

Just pulled my Illusions CIB out and the box is definetely a US release (Printed in U.S.A.) and the cart shell has the "Made in U.S.A." stamp on the back indentation under COLECO.

Hmmm - so perhaps a bunch of "Made in Canada" cart shells were sent to the US late in the life of the CV to get Ilusions released rather than make up for a shortfall in "Made in USA" cart shells by manufacturing more just when they were winding down. So the result a mix of both types used in the US release. Maybe?

Yep,

Ah - you made me go and look. Yes indeed my cart has "Made in Canada" on the back, however my box, manual and cart label all have "Printed in USA". Confusing. So, the cart shells definately were from Canada but doesn't look like the rest was.

Yep, all stuff were printed in US .....

There's also a Blingual Canadian version wich include the Black&White cart and dual language instructions