IGNORED

Footage of The Last Story, NOW the Wii has good graphics ... too late!

ComputerSpaceFan

Very, very impressive looking game. This just might make my "Must Buy" list.

I believe the game sold like 115,000 copies in its first week of release in Japan, so it will be interesting to see what the reaction is & sales numbers are when its released in Europe on Feb. 24th.

Mendon

I'm certainly going to be buying this and xenoblade if either come out here. They look fantastic (though there is still the "for Wii" qualifier, they look better than anything last gen). One thing I do notice is that they both feature active battle systems and I don't think that I've ever enjoyed an RPG that had one. A lot are coming to mind, a lot were called good by others, but I've never gotten more than a few hours in before deciding that I wasn't having any fun.

I'm still a buyer since wii has so few titles that even look like they would interest me. Maybe there will be some cheat codes to instantly end the battles. I think what annoys me most is having to trust/manage AI party members and set up combos with them with no time to think because I'm being wailed on from everywhere.

Edited by Reaperman

Well, according to IGN, Nintendo has finally confirmed a North American release for The Last Story. They won't be publishing it, however: XSEED Games will. On one hand, great! On the other hand, will the change of publisher make it harder to find on shelves? I don't often see too many JRPGs published by XSEED and Atlus on the shelf at Wal-Mart or Best Buy....

Well, according to IGN, Nintendo has finally confirmed a North American release for The Last Story. They won't be publishing it, however: XSEED Games will. On one hand, great! On the other hand, will the change of publisher make it harder to find on shelves? I don't often see too many JRPGs published by XSEED and Atlus on the shelf at Wal-Mart or Best Buy....

The only XSEED games I've even noticed over the past 9mos or so have been for the PSP. XSEED/Atlus may have released titles on other systems but I've only seen PSP titles.

If nothing else, always checkout Amazon as they usually have every title for any system.

You can watch the North American version of Nintendo Direct here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxMQ-O44Hc&feature=player_embedded

After watching that video, I still say Reggie is the biggest twit I have ever seen. He stands there and praises how GREAT Xenoblade and Last Story are and that they are titles you MUST NOT MISS. Yet, NOA gives these GREAT and MUST NOT MISS titles half-assed support by selling Xenoblade in-store only at GameStop and not even publishing Last Story.

Reggie is a BS artist of the first magnitude!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

You're assuming Reggie has any control whatsoever. I agree with you that NOA has a pretty poor track record, but it only further convinces me that they are spoon fed by Japan and have zero clout in the company. Reggie is just moving his strings as Iwata pulls on them from above.

• Like 1

You're assuming Reggie has any control whatsoever. I agree with you that NOA has a pretty poor track record, but it only further convinces me that they are spoon fed by Japan and have zero clout in the company. Reggie is just moving his strings as Iwata pulls on them from above.

I know what you are saying and don't really disagree.

Its just that I've watched Reggie in one-on-one interviews with GT-TV, G4, and others and he always comes across as smug, smirking, and arrogant. And seeing him sing the praises of Xenoblade and Last Story and saying they are "must not miss" games, while knowing that both games are getting such half-assed NOA support that customers will be hard pressed to even find a copy for purchasing, seems nothing but his being disingenuous of the highest order.

I still say he's the worlds biggest twit.

Mendon

Rumors on various Nintendo related websites are saying that XSeed is considering releasing a Collectors Edition of the game in NA. I've watched video's and seen pictures of the European CE and it looks FANTASTIC!

I considered placing a pre-order on Amazon when I saw it listed but thought I'd wait a bit to see if a CE is indeed released as I'll purchase that without hesitation.

On a side note, these same websites are also saying that GameStop will *only* be selling Xenoblade to those that pre-order and that there will be no copies available for those that just walk in and want to buy the game. If true, this is a really, really strange way that Nintendo is marketing Xenoblade and the Circle Pad Pro, almost as if they don't really care whether anyone actually buys either item or not.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Rumors on various Nintendo related websites are saying that XSeed is considering releasing a Collectors Edition of the game in NA.

I've heard that they'll be including the soundtrack cd with the regular game so I doubt I'd hold out for the Collector edition, assuming it's the same as the PAL version. The art book and steel case don't really justify the price premium to me. I also heard that this will be an extremely low print run, which just boggles my mind. The casual market is drying up yet Nintendo STILL refuses to throw JRPG fans a bone, even though all the localization work is done.

Edited by KrazyKaiju

I know its all in the "eye of the beholder", but I think the Collectors Edition looks fantastic! The steelbook case with raised lettering is beautiful, plus just look at the size of the instruction manual that comes with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FD3bUvg4PY&feature=related

The video says the cost is about 38pounds new, which works out to be about $61 in NA. Ten extra dollars for all those goodies is a deal to me.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Looks good - indeed what I was hoping we'd see more of in 2008. Lots of development shops will use the "Wii is GameCube 1.5" excuse to deliver a "GameCube .50" result.

There are certainly other titles of this level on the Wii but crapola is more common than not in my experience.

It saddens me to think that if developers had put that kind of effort into Wii titles five years ago, maybe the console wouldn't have been so maligned by the hardcore gaming crowd.

Which is exactly why I'm glad I'm not a "hardcore gamer". There's plenty of awesome games for the Wii and they're a lot of fun despite the supposedly sub-par graphics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...