IGNORED

Ice-T XE 2.73 released

itaych

Fox-1: In MyDOS, the aux1 value determines whether it'll just load or also init and/or run the binary code. In Sparta it seems that the only accepted value for aux1 is 4 (both init and run) and other values just cause an error. If you could find a way to load without running it might solve the problem - I'd JSR to the init address from within my code and hope that Sparta will resume loading Ice-T afterwards.

XIO 40,#1,4,0,"D1:RS232.COM" should be the way to do it.

40 = Binary File Load

#1 = IOCB (any except "0" should do)

4 = Open for read

0 = RUN/INIT flag. If <128 then RUN/INIT vectors will be used

Is this the way you do it right now?

This is what I do, and as you can see it works - the only problem being that DOS forgets that it was in the middle of loading Ice-T. One thing I will try is setting 128 in aux2, doing the JSR to the R: handler myself, and hoping that doesn't break the Ice-T load process.

Calling CIO binary load from inside a DOS binary load??? I'd suggest a (fairly simple) custom loader which simply reads the handler file segments, calls the init, etc, and then returns control to DOS. Certainly it would be more conventional to install the RS232 handler from DOS.

Ahh, but conventionality belongs to yesterday... at least on MyDOS, where this trick works. No luck with Sparta though, setting icaux2 to 128 indeed causes the R: handler code not to run, but does not prevent the original file load from being lost. That is, even if I JSR to the RS232 init routine then RTS, it drops back to DOS and doesn't resume loading Ice-T. I am simply going to disable this feature in Sparta and recommend the batch file solution unless there's anything I missed. And no I am not going to implement a binary file loader, it's reinventing the wheel and not worth the effort.

Ahh, but conventionality belongs to yesterday... at least on MyDOS, where this trick works. No luck with Sparta though, setting icaux2 to 128 indeed causes the R: handler code not to run, but does not prevent the original file load from being lost. That is, even if I JSR to the RS232 init routine then RTS, it drops back to DOS and doesn't resume loading Ice-T.

Yeah - I think that's more by accident than design with MyDOS. The behaviour you want sort of requires the binary loader to be re-entrant, regardless of the IOCB in use. Sparta drops back to DOS because the most "recent" binary load did exactly that (it ended with an RTS).

I am simply going to disable this feature in Sparta and recommend the batch file solution unless there's anything I missed. And no I am not going to implement a binary file loader, it's reinventing the wheel and not worth the effort.

Sounds sensible. It's reasonable to me to expect drivers to be loaded before the application starts up, unless said drivers are proprietary ones specific to the application - regardless of the DOS in use.

I am simply going to disable this feature in Sparta and recommend the batch file solution

Sound like a good idea and completely in line with the Sparta-Dos guidelines.

Exactly. Since I run SDX on a permanently installed hard drive, I have a subdirectory in my path with a bunch of batch files. When I want to run Ice-T, I just type "-ICET" from any drive and it turns off TDLINE, loads the R: handler, then launches Ice-T. Same for many of my other apps.

Here's another beta. EDIT: The speed improvement is not as dramatic as I thought. Let this be a lesson to us all: never release software versions at 3 AM. Hope you enjoy regardless...

• Speed improvement in text rendering thanks to an idea from The Last Word. Thanks to Jon Halliday (flashjazzcat) for this one.
  • Minor improvement to clock accuracy (NTSC only at the moment, PAL soon).
  • Mini-DOS: Path will now accept any single-letter (or letter and number) device type, so you can use files on things like H:. Also '\' is now allowed as a directory separator.
  • File Viewer: Fixed EOL parser, should work with Unix/Windows/ATASCII files.
  • VT100 emulator: Minor tweaks to font. Underline now ignored for mode 3 (top half of double height row) text. Fixed a bug involving scrolling portions of the screen in boldface mode. With these fixes the VT100 'torture test' now passes.

icet2.74BETA4.xex

Edited by itaych
  • Like 2

i trying open towel.blinkenlights.nl if its faster then beta3.. and i trying see disk directory and i was watching settings and text on BAUD RATE was unreadable.. try that url and listen disk directory..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a problem with 2.73, real ATARI and telnetting specifically to irc.atarichat.net via APE for Windows and SIO2PC. Text on screen is broken, every letter typed in causes echo of "7" and other digits occur between what I type in (mess after every typed in letter)...

Something which didn't occur when testing on ALTIRRA. Any advice?

Edited by Jacques

Jacques, this is an issue with APE's telnet client - it presents itself incorrectly as a VT-52 terminal when connecting, and there's nothing Ice-T can do to fix this. I've spoken to Steve Tucker, author of APE, and he has added an "identify as" option in the R: configuration - VT100 or ANSI should work well. The fix appears in version 3.0.8 which is available to registered users. Good luck :)

Edited by itaych

• 2 weeks later...