IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

To make testing new XEXes easy

There's a much better way to achieve this and it's also the reason why I love AspecQt.

Just put a MyPicDOS boot disk in D1: and mound D2: to a PC folder where you put/drop that stuff.

It works just perfect, with HIGH speed etc. ...

That's the way to test/use it while compiling with WUDSN IDE.

You're right, I usually do that with Spartados (as I need to be compatible with that). I compile to a folder mounted as D2: then use the folder image to quickly access and test my compiled code in Atari. As you said works great and it's fast. For game coders MyPicoDos is even faster at 126kbps...

Edited by atari8warez

Thanks go to W1K for the Slovak language translation....

Does anyone know how I can reach Krzysztof Pyrkosz? Is he on Atariage?

Thanks

I can do Czech translation, but only if no coding is needed - I don't have any IDE for Qt/C installed and I'm pretty bad at it anyways ;)

The translation work only requires QT Linguist. It's fairly easy to use, very short learning curve. W1K did the slovak translation in 1 night. So if you are willing to do the Czech translation download the attached file, unzip it, load the file in Qt Linguist, and you will be translating in no time. Once done, save the file and send it to me through PM (and don't forget to include your full name for the credits)

I've read that Czech language is pretty close to Slovak, is that true?

aspeqt_cz.zip

Edited by atari8warez

I guess that depends on what you intend to do with the file list, I don't know about linux, but on Windows for sorting and searching Windows file selector screen is good enough.

Maybe, but you cannot look into the ATR's with it and search there for a specific file/executable.

What else one could do with a list of files.

Present them in a database like manner: E.g. manage screenshots, documentation and hints together with an entry.

Folders and Libraries + Drag and Drop is a very convenient way to start executables, no need to open the file selector screen.

Examine the attached vid. Flipping a disk was never easier...

Having said that if anybody is willing to tackle this mod, they are more than welcome to contribute.

I would, but I have more than enough work load and QT is just the one toolkit I haven't work with now.

I haven't had a deep look into the sources - is separating the 'SIO part' from the GUI easily possible (to

work with an other GUI toolkit)?

Maybe, but you cannot look into the ATR's with it and search there for a specific file/executable.

I would, but I have more than enough work load and QT is just the one toolkit I haven't work with now.

I haven't had a deep look into the sources - is separating the 'SIO part' from the GUI easily possible (to

work with an other GUI toolkit)?

Ok then, were looking for a "disk image library manager module" developer for AspeQt.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone compiled it for an ARM system? I've seen some small netbooks for under $100 that are ARM-based, with either WinCE 6.0 or Android 2.2 and am considering grabbing one to use as a dedicated Atari server.

Edited by David_P

Ok I just tried this under Windows 7 and it worked perfectly. However when I tried it under Mint 13 (64-bit) I couldn't get it to work. I can get everything setup correctly and it recognizes the serial port on my serial card

Serial port speed set to 19200.

Emulation started through standard serial port backend on '/dev/ttyS4' with RI handshaking.

but it's like the Atari itself isn't seeing my SIO2PC device. I hold down Option when I turn on the 800 and it just goes to memo pad instead of getting the disk image. Is there something I'm missing? As I said, this worked just fine under Windows with the exact same setup (same exact computer and everything).

is it really ttyS4? ... (This only should appear if your PC has five serial connectors) ... If you're not sure, try to switch to ttyS0 in the Options Menu (or ttyS1, ttyS2 ...).

If you have an USB2RS232, then it should be ttyUSB0 (if I remember right).

Edited by atarixle

is it really ttyS4? ... (This only should appear if your PC has five serial connectors) ... If you're not sure, try to switch to ttyS0 in the Options Menu (or ttyS1, ttyS2 ...).

If you have an USB2RS232, then it should be ttyUSB0 (if I remember right).

See I thought that was weird as well. IIRC it's COM4 on the Windows side of things which would be ttyS3 right? Well if I try any other port it fails, and if I switch it to the other serial port on the card it shows up as ttyS5. Maybe because ther serial ports are on card or something? If I try an other port I get:

Cannot set serial port speed to 19200: Input/output error.

Emulation stopped.

• 3 weeks later...

I can do Czech translation, but only if no coding is needed - I don't have any IDE for Qt/C installed and I'm pretty bad at it anyways ;)

@KubaCZ,

did you ever get around doing the Czech translation?

Ahh, I totally forgot - I have reinstalled Windows so I lost the progress, but now I have time again co I can write it from scratch again, will try to have it complete this week :)

@w1k

On Aspeqt? No, between home renovations and writing code for another project, I have not had time to work on it lately. I will also have a two weeks overseas trip in September so, i will probably resume working on AspeQt starting October.

@KubaCz

Great, whenever you can finish it...

Edited by atari8warez

Yup, I also run it with divisor 0 all the time. U1MB + SDX + HI-Speed OS + AspeQt is my preferred favorite setup . SDX with it's own high-speed code is not very reliable at very low divisors, so I use the ATARISIO.SYS and let the HI-Speed OS (thanks again Hias....) rip through the SIO port . :-D

Edited by atari8warez

• 1 month later...

After finally setting up APE Pro with my RS232 to USB adapter last night (new PC is still waiting for serial port bracket) and finding that APE causes the machine to blue-screen every time the Atari sends a sector request, I took the liberty of fixing up Aspeqt's folder emulation so it's compatible with SDX, since I simply need something which works right now. I was surprised that - apart from a couple of compiler warnings which needed fixing up - the new code I wrote in Notepad last night while QT was taking an hour to download worked first time. :)

http://atari8.co.uk/...0.8.3a-test.zip

http://atari8.co.uk/...3a-test-src.zip

Note this isn't intended to be a definitive solution to the SDX problem: just a starting point for me or Ray or anyone else to build on. I'm not a C++ developer but it's certainly a useful exercise for me.

Basically I've done away with the circular sector numbers in the original version's folder mounting. Working through the old code last night, I figured out how the sectors were allocated. The 64 possible directory entries in the DOS 2 "image" had their starting sectors set at sector 400 + (entry * 5). This meant that a sector request from the Atari for the first sector of a file could easily be used as an index into the table of PC file entries. Once the first sector was read, the other four sector numbers out of the file's 5 sector slot would be delivered repeatedly. This is what upset SDX's sector caching.

I did away with the 5 sector slots and instead decided to use sectors 296-359 as the first sector of each of the 64 possible files. The remainder of every file resides at sector 400 and onwards, and sector numbers do not repeat. So file 0's sectors are:

296, 400, 401, 402...

File 1's sectors are:

297, 400, 401, 402...

and so on.

Obviously this opens up some entirely different possibilities for cache confusion, and I doubt mirroring more than one folder at a time would work well. I had to use a global integer (AtariFileNo) which is set when the program gets a sector request for the first sector of a file. I just ran some quick SDX tests this morning, loading XEX files from the mirrored folder, and it works OK for what I want it to do. I'll refine it a bit later on (there's no checks on file size, etc).

A "proper" solution might use a 720 element array to map a PC file number onto each sector of the simulated disk. However, given that the typical sequence of events is: 1) Open directory to find start sector, 2) read entire file, I don't know how complex it needs to be.

For writing to the PC folder, I think Drac030's SIO2BSD is a much better solution, although I'm not sure if it works under Windows yet.

Edited by flashjazzcat