IGNORED

Altirra 2.00

phaeron

?

Try disrupteddl.xex on Atari

On my real 800 (NTSC, OS B, GTIA, 48K) this says, "Sorry, Emulator"

On my 800XL it says, "OK, Atari"

The test program sets PORTB to disable the ROM and install its own NMI and IRQ vectors. That doesn't work on an 800.

I've known about this problem for a while -- this is what the one Acid800 test checks that still doesn't pass on Altirra. Basically, certain combinations of mode lines and/or horizontal scrolling can cause ANTIC to lose track of the playfield DMA clock, causing it to continue DMAing through horizontal blank and interfering with display list and P/M graphics fetches. The bug is partially documented in my hardware manual. There are a lot of complex conditions involved in this and it affects a lot of ANTIC DMA processing, including the DMA fetch and shift clocks and line buffer addressing. This is basically the big last unemulated hardware bug that I know of.

$D000-$D7FF - Atari HW

$D000-$D7FF - SELF TEST ROM

$D000-$D7FF - Unavailable RAM

PORTB

bit 7: base RAM $5000-$57FF (1); or SELF TEST $5000-$57FF (0)

bit 5: $4000-$7FFF ANTIC base RAM (1); EXT RAM (0)

bit 4: $4000-$7FFF CPU base RAM (1); EXT RAM (0)

bit 0: ROM $C000-$CFFF & $D800-$FFFF (1); or RAM $C000-$CFFF & $D800-$FFFF (0)

Atari can:

0xxxxxx1 - map ROM (ROM form $D000-$D7FF) with SELF TEST to $5000-$57FF

1xxxxxx0 - ROM OFF - RAM $C000-$CFFF & $D800-$FFFF

Atari ignores this:

0x11xxx0 - map RAM to $5000-$57FF (RAM form $D000-$D7FF) AND ROM OFF - RAM $C000-$CFFF & $D800-$FFFF

but Simius unlock this option in MMU (I replace MMU). So, in my Atari without adding any memory I have 64 KB accessible base RAM.

I have a request. You could add MapRAM emulation to Altirra - it will be easier for me to write programs...

testmapram.obx

post-9219-0-16013200-1339328724_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

MAPRAM allow to disable ROM when SELF TEST is enabled (PORTB 0x11xxx0)

Maybe Candle could add MAPRAM emulation in the Ultimate1MB so more systems support this mode. Although those extra accessible 2KB seems nothing compared to the 1MB extended memory already accessible in the U1MB :D But those 2KB might be just the extra memory that is needed for programs that want to run on non extended Atari's (with only a replaced MMU) and can than also run on U1MB systems too.

Robert

Hello All.

I am a very big fan of Altirra and spend great time with it.

I think I've found a quite interesting bug regarding cassette player:

If using tape player with disabled "SIO Patch", it seems that in most scenarios the tape player does not start at all!

(for example when attempting to load some BASIC program from tape. After use of CLOAD, user presses any key(after 'beep'). But the tape player becomes stuck).

It is very easy to test:

1) emulated hardware is for example 800XL. Does not matter if PAL or NTSC.

2) disable SIO patch for cassette (menu: 'System' -> 'Cassette' -> disable option 'SIO Patch')

3) go into BASIC

4) load any .cas tape image (menu: 'File' -> 'Cassette' -> 'Load..')

(Note: in this test, it's no matter what is the content of the tape, because loading from tape will not start at all! So this can be any .cas file that you have.)

5) type CLOAD and press ENTER. After the beep press ENTER again.

6) Observed: the tape is not starting at all (even no loading time counter visible). Cassette player has stuck.

The recovery action that I know is to make cold reset (shift+F5).

After cold reset, repeat the scenario above, and the tape will work correctly.

This is probably a very old issue. Has it already been known?

With enabled 'SIO Patch' the problem is not existing.

I know that the issue is not 'high priority' but for real cassette lovers would be great to have it working...

Could somebody please confirm this and if needed, kindly let Phaeron know about it?

Maybe some day he would find some time to look into it.

Tape issue was because the load path didn't hit 'play' on the emulated tape deck... only cold reset did. Fixed:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.10-test28.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.10-test28-src.zip

The default colors should be OK for the self test -- it's pretty close to my NTSC 130XE, at least, including the green 40-column text. Remember that there can and will be variations in color between Ataris, although the presets in Altirra are designed to be reasonable.

I must confess that I can't really see the point of having 2K of extra RAM mapped to $5000-57FF, particularly with the abundance of full RAM expansions. If you could map RAM to $D000-D7FF, then yeah, you could do interesting new things with that. Just getting 2K more of RAM, not so much. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, though.

ultimate1mb and incognito boards maps base ram into d000-d7ff space - just in case you would ever consider adding this

As the current documentation on spiflash only mentions mapping ram to $D600-$D7FF space instead of $D000-$D7FF, I suppose this is only in the "new" U1MB 'firmware'.

I quess this base RAM in IO space is also used to implement ATR mounting?

Robert

I quess this base RAM in IO space is also used to implement ATR mounting?

The ATR-enabled PBI BIOS uses nearly four pages of RAM scattered between $D100-$D7FF: FAT variables at $D100, partition table at $D500, and 512 byte sector buffer at $D600. ROM usage (at $D800) is currently two banked 2KB blocks.

I must confess that I can't really see the point of having 2K of extra RAM mapped to $5000-57FF, particularly with the abundance of full RAM expansions. If you could map RAM to $D000-D7FF, then yeah, you could do interesting new things with that. Just getting 2K more of RAM, not so much. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, though.

I use MAPRAM for this:

• Like 1