IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

not quite sure what you mean

the only thing you should consider when using both at once is to have them on unique PBI ID - as for ide+ - it's fixed (well. can be resoldered, but without soldering it's fixed in hardware)

for side on pbi it's selectable from the bios, also, you have an option to disable this feature

I have a question and I don't mean for it to sound critical either because I think this is fantastic...but...why stop at 1MB? Is that the max the A8 line can be stretched memory-wise? I thought I'd ask because I've seen online users that have upgraded their Apple //s [not the gs] to 2MB RAM. Thanks.

I have a question and I don't mean for it to sound critical either because I think this is fantastic...but...why stop at 1MB? Is that the max the A8 line can be stretched memory-wise? I thought I'd ask because I've seen online users that have upgraded their Apple //s [not the gs] to 2MB RAM. Thanks.

Newell Industries 1MB Ram upgrade board was also supposed to be capable of 4MB, but I believe doing this caused compatibility issues.Newell_RD_1to4MB.pdf

there is verry little software using whole 1mb, and making it less is quite pointless money-wise (you would pay exacly the same money for 512k)

on the other hand, you can streach this a bit - up to 4 mbytes as Bill suggested, but what for? cost would increase, as board size would increase significally, and it would be pretty much useless

i don't know much about apples, but for me right way to go is to get apple ii gs cpu inside (namely 65c816) and then expand memory lineary

as for now c816 board is providing 2mb of continuous memory space programmer can freely use without thinking too much about what should be in base ram and what can go to extended ram to keep his program going

• Like 1

In my lifetime 1MB has gone from incredibly humongous to almost nothing; it's amazing. I remember a time when I could only dream of having 1MB.

Yeah - I remember back in 82 having to get my 16k 400 upgraded to 48k in order to play a type in game (Cave of Ice). Times certainly have changed - the machine I am typing on has 8GB of RAM and it's only at half capacity.

there is verry little software using whole 1mb, and making it less is quite pointless money-wise (you would pay exacly the same money for 512k)

on the other hand, you can streach this a bit - up to 4 mbytes as Bill suggested, but what for? cost would increase, as board size would increase significally, and it would be pretty much useless

i don't know much about apples, but for me right way to go is to get apple ii gs cpu inside (namely 65c816) and then expand memory lineary

as for now c816 board is providing 2mb of continuous memory space programmer can freely use without thinking too much about what should be in base ram and what can go to extended ram to keep his program going

I wasn't suggesting increasing your upgrade to 4MB, I was just responding to the question of whether anyone had made a RAMdisk larger than 1MB. Most Atari 8-bit users will be satisfied with 1MB,.

The Newell upgrades were released to the public domain.

post-26063-0-88726700-1340121336_thumb.gif

Not entirely useless.

With, let's say, 4MB extended memory you can use "the last" 3MB as a static RamDisk while using the "first" 1MB to run all those demo's and games which require 256KB/320KB/1MB without having to fill up the RamDisk again afterwards.

IMHO the "1st" 1MB should be entirely bank switched by the available PIA at $D300-$303 while the next banks can be switched by an "emulated" PIA at $D304-$307 (or whatever smart address)

Anything beyond 1MB also requires custom RamDisk drivers but there are only a very DOS' which can take advantage of it (Sparta/BeWe/My-DOS) and there are people around over here who have experience in writing RamDisk drivers. If they're interested is another matter.

I don't think a ramdisk is significantly faster than just a CF card on the PBI. You not only have virtually unlimited space with a CF card, but also no need for a driver, per se. Or a DOS, for that matter.

What Candle is saying is that 'Big Memory' is most useful on a 65816 as linear memory. Rather than going through SIO or bank switching, you can just use commands that address high memory directly. With the right hardware, you can push ANTIC 'upstairs', also.

This is all with a stock OS.

The only thing you can't do very well is run code outside the main 64K bank. This takes a new OS.

Of course, with ANTIC, screen data and all your data tables and such gone into the upper memory, there is a lot of space in that first 64K for your code.

Bob

Not entirely useless.

With, let's say, 4MB extended memory you can use "the last" 3MB as a static RamDisk while using the "first" 1MB to run all those demo's and games which require 256KB/320KB/1MB without having to fill up the RamDisk again afterwards.

IMHO the "1st" 1MB should be entirely bank switched by the available PIA at $D300-$303 while the next banks can be switched by an "emulated" PIA at $D304-$307 (or whatever smart address)

Anything beyond 1MB also requires custom RamDisk drivers but there are only a very DOS' which can take advantage of it (Sparta/BeWe/My-DOS) and there are people around over here who have experience in writing RamDisk drivers. If they're interested is another matter.

I don't think a ramdisk is significantly faster than just a CF card on the PBI. You not only have virtually unlimited space with a CF card, but also no need for a driver, per se. Or a DOS, for that matter.

The fact is, RAMdisks are usually significantly slower than a CF card on the PBI. RAMdisks can't usually do burst mode (because the destination buffer for a sector read may be in the same location as the banking window), so the I/O needs to be buffered. So that, plus all the other HDD advantages you mention. ;)

Thanks for explaining that. I appreciate it.

In my lifetime 1MB has gone from incredibly humongous to almost nothing; it's amazing. I remember a time when I could only dream of having 1MB.

No doubt. I remember how big of a deal the 1040STf release was... The first personal computer at [less than] $1,000 for 1MB of RAM. [and then it took until 1995/1996 for Microsoft to match what it could do with Windows 95 provided you had 16MB or 32MB installed!].

Yeah - I remember back in 82 having to get my 16k 400 upgraded to 48k in order to play a type in game (Cave of Ice). Times certainly have changed - the machine I am typing on has 8GB of RAM and it's only at half capacity.

And even with 8GB of RAM, it's slower at word processing than an A8. :)

What Candle is saying is that 'Big Memory' is most useful on a 65816 as linear memory. Rather than going through SIO or bank switching, you can just use commands that address high memory directly. With the right hardware, you can push ANTIC 'upstairs', also.

This is all with a stock OS.

Wait. There are A8's out there with 65816s installed and the base OS will access it as a 6502 but without bankswitching limitations?

Note: Just stumbled on Candle's other thread about the C816 upgrade. Impressive!

Edited by Lynxpro