IGNORED

No Pac Man Arcade for Intellivision?

Rev

I know a certain person here who shall remain nameless has been at one time working on a Pac Man game or MS Pac Man game for Intellivision. But for whatever reason it may never get released! :_( :_(

Why do I bring this up you may ask?

The Atari 5200.......... :mad: http://www.atariage....e-for-the-5200/

Edited by revolutionika

I'll see what I can do.

Really? :-D

You are my hero....if all the other retro systems can have 'official' Mario Bros, Pac Man Arcade, Space Invaders etc etc and never get in trouble, why is everyone so scared to bring them to intv?....just sayin' :P

I know a certain person here who shall remain nameless has been at one time working on a Pac Man game or MS Pac Man game for Intellivision. But for whatever reason it may never get released! :_( :_(

Why do I bring this up you may ask?

The Atari 5200.......... :mad: http://www.atariage....e-for-the-5200/

It's not that it may never get released. It's that it wouldn't get the "official" CIB treatment. I don't have any intention in releasing a game commercially without a the proper rights to it.

However, all that said, development of the game is on hold while I finish Christmas Carol. I plan on continuing it and releasing it as part of an Intellivision game programming tutorial for P-Machinery. It'll be in ROM and source code only.

By the way, my version was to be a re-implementation of Pac-Man from scratch. It was an personal exercise to attempt to re-create the game as closely as possible based only on a close, external analysis of the game-play. I took The Pac-Man Dossier, by Jamey Pittman, as my specification and was reverse engineering the entire thing from scratch--without using a single piece of the original (I haven't so far, and I don't intend to, access or read the original's disassembled source).

-dZ.

You are my hero....if all the other retro systems can have 'official' Mario Bros, Pac Man Arcade, Space Invaders etc etc and never get in trouble, why is everyone so scared to bring them to intv?....just sayin' :P

It's a risk that some people take. Home-brew communities are typically too small for large corporations to notice or care. There's nothing wrong with that, I just personally chose not to do it that way.

Besides, to me, Pac-Man has been done. To death. I only wanted to make it because it was one of my favorite arcade games from the 1980s, and I always wondered how it worked, and that it would be fun to recreate it.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

I'll see what I can do.

I love that kind of get-it-done attitude Carl! :) Sweet! Maybe you and DZ could come up with a Pac Man/Ms Pac Man double ender?!?! Wait, did I just say that....yes I did. :)

Cmart, what are you smoking? An Intellivision double ended cart? Like that would ever happen...............;-)

I've always preferred Ms. Pac-Man over Pac-Man. Especially on the consoles. As long as it doesn't have the scrolling screen like on the Sega Genesis version. I think the main question would be, will it be faster than the existing Pac-Man on the Intellivision. That's the great thing about Ms. Pac-Man on the 2600 and 7800 is it's fast. Graphics can suffer as long as it's got speed.

I've always preferred Ms. Pac-Man over Pac-Man. Especially on the consoles. As long as it doesn't have the scrolling screen like on the Sega Genesis version. I think the main question would be, will it be faster than the existing Pac-Man on the Intellivision. That's the great thing about Ms. Pac-Man on the 2600 and 7800 is it's fast. Graphics can suffer as long as it's got speed.

Well, I grew up playing Pac-Man. It wasn't until much later that I lost my fear of Ms. Pac-Man (to me it was much too hard). I know that people prefer Ms. Pac-Man because it fixed most of the common gripes about the original, but I still have a special fondness for Pac-Man.

My Pac-Man version will be close to the original. I don't have the existing Pac-Man for the Intellivision, so I can't compare. But I'm trying to replicate the look-and-feel of the original.

By the way, some people have told me that I should make it with the scrolling screen so that I can fit the entire board, but I'm not convinced it is the way to go. I guess the exact board is not so important, as reproducing the mechanics, the challenge, and the feel of the original. At least that's my opinion.

By the way, if the mechanics of Christmas Carol feel a bit like Pac-Man's, that is not coincidental. Christmas Carol grew from a "hack" I made to my then-incomplete Pac-Man game engine, to give it a Christmas theme and present it as a gift to the Intellivision community in 2010.

Since then, the Pac-Man project was put in the back-burner while Carol grew up into a full fledged and original game, with all new game play elements.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Re-watching my video and i see Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800 is blazing fast.

This is a screenshot of my Pac-Man game from where I last left it. The Ghost have no eyes yet, and the maze still needs some work.

post-27318-0-59194000-1341434804_thumb.gif

Attached is also the last built ROM of the game. The Ghosts don't move yet, but Pac-Man can run around the maze eating dots and energizers. The energizers work and turn the Ghosts blue, after which they flash back to normal. When Pac-Man eats all the dots, the maze flashes and the next level starts.

The speed and timing of the levels, including the number of Ghost flashes and their time in "frightened" mode is the same as in the original game.

There are a couple of glitches that I never got around to fix, but I know how to resolve them, and will do as soon as I return to that project. Most notable is that the animation of Pac-Man is not really synchronized to his movements, and also that the Ghosts seem to pause for a single frame when they reach the top or the bottom of their path, as they dance up and down in their cage.

-dZ.

pac-man.rom.zip

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

I'll see what I can do.

I love that kind of get-it-done attitude Carl! :) Sweet! Maybe you and DZ could come up with a Pac Man/Ms Pac Man double ender?!?! Wait, did I just say that....yes I did. :)

Cmart, what are you smoking? An Intellivision double ended cart? Like that would ever happen............... ;-)

I thought you'd like that reference. ;)

fast and good looking! That Pac boost on the Sega is weird.

I remember playing Pac Man on the 2600 at my buddy's house and we played that game to death. I know it's widely reviled but I must admit, back then I recall thinking it was awesome. :-D

This is a screenshot of my Pac-Man game from where I last left it. The Ghost have no eyes yet, and the maze still needs some work.

post-27318-0-59194000-1341434804_thumb.gif

Attached is also the last built ROM of the game. The Ghosts don't move yet, but Pac-Man can run around the maze eating dots and energizers. The energizers work and turn the Ghosts blue, after which they flash back to normal. When Pac-Man eats all the dots, the maze flashes and the next level starts.

The speed and timing of the levels, including the number of Ghost flashes and their time in "frightened" mode is the same as in the original game.

There are a couple of glitches that I never got around to fix, but I know how to resolve them, and will do as soon as I return to that project. Most notable is that the animation of Pac-Man is not really synchronized to his movements, and also that the Ghosts seem to pause for a single frame when they reach the top or the bottom of their path, as they dance up and down in their cage.

-dZ.

pac-man.rom.zip

The ghosts look cooler without eyes. Makes the ghosts look spooky and haunting like real ghosts should. :evil:

Ms. Pac Man for Intellivision would be awesome. :)

intellivisionmspacman.png

Yep. Carl?

I promised that when Pac-Man is done, I would work on Ms. Pac-Man (they both start with the same core). I wouldn't mind collaborating with Carl on it. :)

-dZ.

Keep in mind that unlike the Ataris the INTV cannot change sprites mid-screen. For Ms. Pac-man the sprites available are enough for Ms. Pac-man (2 sprites, yellow and red), fruit (2 sprites, red and green for the strawberry for example) and one per ghost (the ghost's body color)

On some systems the eyes of the ghosts are drawn directly to background. On the Intellivision that is a little bit harder since you use a tiled background and is limited to 64 userdefined tiles (along with 64 or ~200 predefined ones depending on the graphics mode)

Yep. That's mine and I'm doing it. :-)

And no worries about the number of sprites available. Intellivision is perfectly capable of generating this display… I just added software sprites to my engine that will handle the eyes nicely.

Carl

• Like 1

And no worries about the number of sprites available. Intellivision is perfectly capable of generating this display… I just added software sprites to my engine that will handle the eyes nicely.

Carl

Sweeeet!

Carl

Arent you curious as to where i got this screen shot from?

I posted it to the Intellivision programming list a couple of years ago.

Where did you find it?

Actually i think I found it somewhere on AA as a ling on a blog or something? I will try to find where I got it and post the link in here....its weird how stuff gets around isnt it?

And I have been image grabbing mode for well over a year too....

I posted it to the Intellivision programming list a couple of years ago.

Where did you find it?

I remember when that was posted and I was very impressed with it, though I didn't recall it was you, Carl. I think you mentioned that you were planning on cycling GRAM for the eyes, while I mentioned I planned on multiplexing two MOBs in my version of Pac-Man.

Are you still working on Ms. Pac-Man? I imagine it'll get the DK treatment, with very faithful reproduction of sound effects and game-play. I can't wait to see it! :)

-dZ.